Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I considered an Aluminess rear bumper and several hitch swingout options like Hitchgate, but each option took the extended departure angle from bad to worse. Furthermore, I decided to order my next Transit without a hitch, for I learned on my last extended the hitch makes the departure angle worse. I won't hang the spare from the rear doors, put it on the front or roof. That pretty much leaves inside the van as the only option. Does anyone carry their spare inside the van? Has anyone come up with a better solution?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Make sure it's bolted down. If it breaks free in a crash, someone's going to the hospital.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure it's bolted down. If it breaks free in a crash, someone's going to the hospital.
That's my concern with it inside. I would think if it were properly bolted thru the floor with a grade 8 bolt, or several bolts, with a steel plate underneath it would be safe.

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
105 Posts
Spare tire inside van - concerns/alternatives
Primary concern: that it is in the driver's seat whilst I am at the wheel

Alternative: that a balanced "calorie in and calorie out" mantra always be one of my themes

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Side mount? Full length running board on the drivers side, narrowest tire of similar diameter. Assumes no DSD.
(bonus points for painting the wheels orange)

·
Registered
809 Posts
we went through this and tried several options for storing the spare inside the van. Then Aluminess launched the rear door tire carrier - problem solved. One of the best pieces of kit I have added to our van.

·
Registered
2020 T350, High Top, AWD, 148", 3.5 eco, 3.73
268 Posts
we went through this and tried several options for storing the spare inside the van. Then Aluminess launched the rear door tire carrier - problem solved. One of the best pieces of kit I have added to our van.
Did Aluminess solve the door "tearing" issue with their carrier or was that another manufacturer?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Did Aluminess solve the door "tearing" issue with their carrier or was that another manufacturer?
That was another manufacturer and a completely different design. The Aluminess carrier is rock solid. We have 10,000 miles and 14 months of hard trails on ours, with zero issues.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,262 Posts
True. If you are running fully loaded and at highway speeds, then yes. But if you can limp at lower speeds to a repair shop to get your tire repaired/replaced then it's a workable solution. Each rear tire is capable of a 2,150 pound load. Assuming three tires that's 6,450 for a total GAWR of about 7,000 pounds. Yes it's over, but not by much so if your speed is reasonable, air pressures at max, then you should be able to limp to a repair shop.

Another option many people with fully loaded T350HD's have gone with is to upgrade to a 215/85-16 tire. Three of those have a greater load capacity than the rear axle of a T350HD so it would be an excellent solution.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like OldMadBrit, I think the Aluminess option is solid with no issues on departure angle. I went that way although it's pricey and adds a bit to the length of your van. You would need to get locking hubs if you think it is too convenient for thieves.

As a second option, assuming the reason for the relocation of the tire is due to increasing the size of the tire, you could deflate the new, bigger tire and try to put it in the original location. Other have gone that way.
In the unlikely event of a flat, you would need to retrieve the tire and inflate it before using. I think this is the best option if money is your constraint.

As a slight aside, I added the hitch on the rear of my van for a variety of reasons including a sacrificial early warning system when I bottom out on the departure angle. It was about the same price as one of my skid plates up front and gives a comforting warning (grinding) sound when I hit it:)

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
791 Posts
As a second option, assuming the reason for the relocation of the tire is due to increasing the size of the tire, you could deflate the new, bigger tire and try to put it in the original location. Other have gone that way.
In the unlikely event of a flat, you would need to retrieve the tire and inflate it before using. I think this is the best option if money is your constraint.
This is just my take. If I upgrade the bigger tire and don't have a rear tire carrier, I would keep my original spare in the stock position. Use the spare when I get a flat. This will take me to a safe location to get my flat repair.

I always carry a tire repair kit, I would fix the flat while the tire is still on if the condition is safe to do so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
FWIW....

I have the Van Compass bumper with the optional swingarms and tire carrier on my rig. Really like the bumper and integrated hitch, which ride high and close to the plastic "bumper." It's very well designed and built, and thus far, is staying attached nicely to what passes for a frame on these vans.

The Aluminess tire carrier wasn't an option when I went this route, but one reason I might have still chosen the VC setup, is that I can carry the tire on the passenger side, and balance out the weight from the fuel tank and my galley and water tank, which are all on the drivers side. I also like how it keeps the weight low. And it will be easy to hang a motorsports fuel jug on the other side, for those times I'm carrying the cycle. Otherwise, I'm jealous of all of you with the Aluminess carriers -- looks like a very clean, minimal design.

I was going to post a link to VC's page for the bumpers, but they've temporarily pulled them from their website. A quick email confirmed this is because they're swamped with orders for other products. So if you want one, contact them, and maybe they can start one for you?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Found one I like TRAIL SWING. However, for $2300 I'll secure it inside. Aluminess bumper will affect departure angle, door hanger will not. Just not comfortable with potential issues with the door mount. Vancompass looks interesting, depending on cost.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Found one I like TRAIL SWING. However, for $2300 I'll secure it inside. Aluminess bumper will affect departure angle, door hanger will not. Just not comfortable with potential issues with the door mount. Vancompass looks interesting, depending on cost.
I recall someone modified the existing spare tire space to accommodate a larger full size spare. I think it was @Van Gogh ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts