Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is Geraldine from Edmonton.
I know this is not the right place to ask this. But it'd be great if you guys help me.
5 months ago, a guy hit my car as he was backing out of a parking lot. My car got a few scratches it would cost about $750 to fix it.

I have his contact details(number and address) but don't have the insurance details. I filed a police accident report and later my insurance company sent him letters and called, but no response from him.

Therefore, I'm going to take him to a small claims court. My friend suggested a small claims paralegal service for this. I don't know more about them. Anyone here had any previous experiences? Also, share your tips and suggestions too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
you should have called the police right away.

you don't need a paralegal service,
small courts have forms you fill that it,
you need evidence to convince the judge, he will deny everything and say you are lying,

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Smells like a spammer. Always asks a question, and provides link to a dubiously relevant service provider. Reported.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, I've been to small claims court a few times and the judge is just interested in facts that can be proved. If you have evidence to back up your claim, you should be fine without the need to hire anyone. I'm currently in a situation where one of my clients decided not to pay his bill. My choices are to take him to small claims or write it off. It's about $800 and to be honest, after my last experience in small claims, I decided to just write it off. Its can be a really time-consuming process and the defendant can delay things for months. Last time it took me almost a year to get before a judge here in BC. My claim was ultimately dismissed by the judge (even though I thought I had evidence to prove my claim), so at the end of the day it was a waste of a lot of time and effort. Your experience may be more positive than mine, but for $750 I wouldn't hire someone to do it for you. By the time you pay them and the small claims court fees you'd probably be left with only a few $$$ in your pocket . . . assuming you win. If you don't win, you'll be out of pocket for the small claims fees as well as any money you pay the legal service.

·
Registered
717 Posts
First sentence gave it away. No one starts a thread like that. Link sealed the deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts