Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys doing for terrible Tranist driving light, I can't stand it...

I was thinking of getting a retrofit with projector led
or just get LED's

Does anyone know if it will make a huge difference if i do extra projector install or just upgrade to LED's?

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
The low beams are awful, the high beams are perfectly fine.

The type of bulb doesn't really matter if the lumens are the same. You can buy some brighter H11 bulbs for the low beams, I think the standard is about 1300 lumens, or 55 watt. You can get 65w or 100w H11 bulbs. LED, HID, Halogen, etc doesn't really matter; it's how much light they put out (measured in lumens).

The low beams are aimed and designed to not blind oncoming drivers, so upping the lumen output shouldn't make you the dick everyone hates. It's not like you're driving with your high beams in people's faces.

I really liked the height adjustable headlights in my Sprinter. The European Transits have those, maybe they could be retrofitted into Merikun Transits, but probably expensive.

The only thing I did was add a pair of LED flood lights in the bumper pointing a little to the side so I could actually see to the side of the van in the dark. GREAT if you're turning a corner; the low beams just light a thin area directly in front of the van. Pulling into my driveway from the street, I'm driving into total darkness unless I have my floods on.

·
Registered
704 Posts
LEDs have been getting better by leaps and bounds every year for at least the last 5. The big breakthrough came a couple of years ago, in the placement of the diodes. These now accurately replicate the position of the filaments in a conventional bulb, and so produce an accurate beam pattern from the OEM optics.

I replaced both low and high beams with LEDs and it totally transformed the headlights. Took 15 minutes and cost ~$90.

·
Registered
15 Posts
LEDs have been getting better by leaps and bounds every year for at least the last 5. The big breakthrough came a couple of years ago, in the placement of the diodes. These now accurately replicate the position of the filaments in a conventional bulb, and so produce an accurate beam pattern from the OEM optics.

I replaced both low and high beams with LEDs and it totally transformed the headlights. Took 15 minutes and cost ~$90.
Could you share a link to the bulbs that you ended up with? Thx

·
Registered
254 Posts
I second and third the vote for LEDs, it was a shocking difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Boomer who thought halogen sealed beams were a vast improvement here.
Nobody seems to think their headlights are any good on any make forum I go to.
Does anyone know of a car with GOOD headlights?
I want to go test drive one in the dark to see what i have been missing.
dealers near me are Ford/Lincoln, Chevrolet/GMC, Hyundai/Kia, Honda, Dodge/Ram. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I second the Hikari brand LEDs. I upgraded mine as an interim solution between doing a HID update but am so happy with them I'm likely not going to do the HIDs now. I even went back and did my high beams for matching color temp and reduced power consumption.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
You can tell your headlights are awful when the light from the car behind you is brighter than your own headlights. At times, I wonder if my headlights are even on because of this. However, this may also be some dick who drives around with their high beams on so THEY can see better.

I used to be interested in the LED bulbs because I thought they used less power and had longer lifespans. I come to find that they have included resistors so they draw the same amount of watts as conventional bulbs, so they don't mess with the vehicle's elec system sensors. The excess current draw is wasted as heat. And the diodes themselves are long-lived, but the circuitry to make them function has about the same lifespan as regular bulbs. Plus, I don't like the blue-white glare of 6k+ bulbs. I'm more of a 5k guy, myself.

Some of the local "car enthusiasts" here have been sporting all kinds of different color headlights, like orange, red, aqua and blue. I saw bright purple the other night. Illegal, of course, but it's not like the police have time to pull them over and ticket them. A lot of these cars are also running straight pipes (no muffler, or just glass-pack tube) and have "bug screens" over their license plates, and other "enthusiast" cheap attachments and modifications.

·
Registered
763 Posts

I’ll believe they “accurately replicate” the position of the filaments” when I see one that does.

Yeah Surly, the “outlaw truck” mentality around here is getting out of hand. I see my van’s shadow on freeway signs high overhead when one of these outlaws comes up from behind. I also notice my upper shelf above the front seats is all lit up. Think about that. Low beams??? So I shoot them the bird (inside)...up by my center mirror. Casts a very distinct shadow on the shelf. I probably have a short life expectancy.

2015 Tall, Medium Length, Cargo, 3.5EB, pretty generic-looking, DIY camper

Reactions: DKSchneider

·
Registered
763 Posts
If only it were enforced....at least for the more flagrant offenders. Even focusing on most flagrant offenders would mean Texas law enforcement officers would be ticketing upwards to 10% of all traffic.

By the way, if you lift your van (or truck...or other vehicle), the headlights probably need to be aimed more downward to remain legal...so your situation has not improved.

I don’t know if there is a legal projector alternative, but the stock reflector design on the Transit sux, I admit it.

2015 Tall, Medium Length, Cargo, 3.5EB, pretty generic-looking, DIY camper

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
236 Posts
I drive at a speed that is applicable to my visibility under current conditions. The need to get more or better needs to be taken into consideration with reality. You see further you go faster. You go faster it takes longer to stop. Longer to stop more chance of hitting something.
From a thoughtful perspective, in my opinion, perhaps we need to consider enjoying things at a slower speed. After all isn’t that why we are converting to campers and such.
This of course does not mean design and engineering can’t be better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
............. You see further you go faster. You go faster it takes longer to stop. Longer to stop more chance of hitting something........
So to be really safe, only drive a night with your headlights off ;)

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
84 Posts
Been there, done that and intoxicated to boot but not for the last two weeks. Ain't safe without lights...
Had a friend install license plate level focused LEDs with exaggerated downward focus and they greatly assist near nighttime acuity especially on wet surfaces. Please do not read about night vision changes with advancing age. It will only convince one of right to get pissed-off about all the accomodations necessary to even grow old.

·
Registered
236 Posts
With an XLT I had my headlights set to daytime (50%) for safety. I also have auto headlights and wipers. Thus when the van is turned on the current conditions include the headlights.
I learned along time ago driving on Skyline Blvd., the ridge between SF Bay area and the coast, that you do not drive at night without headlights.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am interested in upgrading, my 2018 cargo has barely adequate lighting.

but then noticed this on amazon, for the hikari lights, so wondering what is up:

View attachment 147696
I imagine they are not going to be DOT legal. In my experience if the vehicle is late model enough it does not draw attention. An 2002 civic with LED might draw more scrutiny then a 2018 civic with LEDs

1 - 20 of 35 Posts