Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my solar panel wiring and WiFi wiring running out the backdoor and up to the roof. It's an eyesore and probably not good for the integrity of the cables.

I'd like to run the wiring through one of the factory roof plugs that need to be pried off. However, if my understanding is correct, these aren't necessarily open cavities and are actually just bolt threads, correct? How do I squeeze the wiring through these tiny holes?

·
Registered
572 Posts
There are two types. One type is for mounting a rack (with threads) and the other type is for running wires through. The ones for wires are fore and aft of the rack mounting points.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are two types. One type is for mounting a rack (with threads) and the other type is for running wires through. The ones for wires are fore and aft of the rack mounting points.
Could you post some pictures? We just bought a 2020 HR 148”, and I have the exact same question. Thank you!

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can use a step drill bit to enlarge the original hole, but it is pain and you will destroy the manufacture mount hole for roof rack. I would drill a new hole where is the most optimal for your application.

I assume you use one of these, right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the event I were to use one of the threaded holes, what is the recommended protocol for ensuring that it remains waterproof? Do people just use a couple of rubber gaskets and caulk to seal it off? Or are there pre-fabricated one-and-done plugs that can be purchased? Not too worried about it with the solar since I'll be using one of those housings but I am interested in experimenting with some other things

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't think you could get much wire through those threads.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would not recommend using the threaded hole areas. The other plugs have much more room to work with. Plus if you ever decide to mount some semblance of a roof rack your wires would be an issue at that point.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Use a hole like vanpackr did. There are a bunch of different ways to seal around it, I used a cable gland from mcmaster carr. You have a few options for location. I went for one more forward directly under my panel.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I have a single 300 watt panel. Wanted the cable holes under the panel so could not use any of the holes provided by Ford. Used an electrician's knock out punch to put holes for the positive and negative cables. Located holes directly over the location of the solar controller to keep cable lengths as short as possible.

Kept the panel cables as delivered with the MC4 connectors. Bought a 15' MC4 extension cord and cut it in half for cables between the panel MC4 connectors and the solar controller. Used 90 degree bulkhead cable fittings for the two cables.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I wired it through one of the factory plugs in the rear. The surface isn't perfectly flat there so I had to use a lot of EternaBond to seal off the gaps but it looks and feels pretty solid. In hindsight, I would probably opt for orton's technique as I don't like having all the wiring up there exposed. Looks a bit ugly too. I'll probably throw some sort of white colored tape over the whole thing so it looks less ugly but it's 100% functional for now :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts