Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 27 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking for input on a solar system I'm planning for my 2021 Transit.
I have done some research and am heading in the following direction
I'll use about 80 amp hours per day and want about 2 days of storage. I'll use solar, alternator, and shore power to charge my system.
I would like to use a single 400 Watt Solar panel on my van to simplify my install, connections etc. - Does anyone have any concerns with going with a single panel vs 4 separate panels? I am looking at the Solaria panel. Does anyone have experience with this panel or suggestions for an alternative panel?

Also, I have been looking at the various sites for van builders and their electrical schematics. I'm thinking of using the solar schematic from
Any concerns with this site or alternate suggestions.

Thanks for any input
Camperguy

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked at the dimensions of the solaria panel and are almost exactly double than a Newpowa 210W. Spanning 1.2 meters across the roof of the van will result in a high gap at both sides to clear the tumble of the roof at the center. Could it be better to split in two panels and have a more aerodynamic installation?
Thanks for the idea of splitting the panels to keep the profile to the roof low - I had not considered that. I want a roof rack anyway and plan to build my rack so it is very low profile so I'll go with a single 400 watt panel and mount it very close to the roof.

1 - 4 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.