Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting experience today. It was the first decent snow storm over the pass (Stevens Pass, WA), and after a few miles of driving the dash showed a message: Pre-collision assist not available. Sensor blocked.

It was coming down pretty hard but nothing outrageous; I was surprised that the sensor would be so quickly blocked. The warning continued to show, and assistive cruise was also disabled, for quite some time after I was clearly out of the storm and into lower, warmer elevations. I think it fixed itself once I stopped for a flagger.

Hopefully the sensor doesn't prove useless in the wintertime.

(But also: bring on the snow!! Fingers crossed for a deep winter.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did fine! I never pushed it though, just kept it slow and steady. The van never slipped, even changing lanes through the deeper stuff, but I wouldn't say this was a real test of its awd.

If I hadn't been on my way somewhere I would have stopped to play around with the van in the snow - next time!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Most of the sensors used today can't handle heavy snow. That is also one of the challenges for autonomous self-driving vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It did fine! I never pushed it though, just kept it slow and steady. The van never slipped, even changing lanes through the deeper stuff, but I wouldn't say this was a real test of its awd.

If I hadn't been on my way somewhere I would have stopped to play around with the van in the snow - next time!!
Do you have all-season or winter tires?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have all-season or winter tires?
I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They do very well in deep snow (which is what I have to park in daily in the winter) but aren't as good as a winter tire on normal winter roads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts