Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had ordered the Renogy DCC50S 12 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT.... but then I cancelled the order today. We have a 2020 Transit 250 Cargo Van and I am hearing something about "Smart Alternators" and I don't even know if we have one?? Also hearing that these can actually put a drain on the alternator, and that is scary. Anyway I cancelled the order and decided to see if anyone has installed this or knows if it is okay to install?

·
Registered
680 Posts
We had ordered the Renogy DCC50S 12 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT.... but then I cancelled the order today. We have a 2020 Transit 250 Cargo Van and I am hearing something about "Smart Alternators" and I don't even know if we have one?? Also hearing that these can actually put a drain on the alternator, and that is scary. Anyway I cancelled the order and decided to see if anyone has installed this or knows if it is okay to install?
I have one and it is working great for my application. It has provision to sense engine run or ignition on so it deals with the SRC issues just fine.

Knowing more about your intended use and electrical design would allow me to elaborate more.

BTW... you have more than just a “smart alternator” to deal with. As my signature says I have a 2020 250 and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have that I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
We too have a 250 and a DCC50S installed and echo Vanpacker's feedback -- it works perfectly. We too use the ignition run sensor setup. There are some nuances of using CCP1 or CCP2 for connection for trickle charging the starter battery -- but I can confirm -- it does all work very well together.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The one bone I have to pick with it is that the BT-2 bluetooth dongle and app are total crap. They don’t seems to be remotely designed to work together. I have overcome much of this by strategically placing Victron components in the build to be able to remotely monitor battery state of charge over time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The one bone I have to pick with it is that the BT-2 bluetooth dongle and app are total crap. They don’t seems to be remotely designed to work together. I have overcome much of this by strategically placing Victron components in the build to be able to remotely monitor battery state of charge over time.

View attachment 141274
:) We haven't gone down that path. With 300 watts on the roof and not too crazy of loads ('fridge and composting toilet fan overnight) -- we're usually still at 13.3ish volts at dawn and 14.4 volts by early morning. If I had detailed data tracking I'd geek out for hours. Nice to know the dongle and app are crap in case we dive in deeper...especially once winter takes a serious chunk out of our production.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here is voltage and current for the same period.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is voltage and current for the same period.

Greetings. This is my first post. I'm just starting converting my new 2020 Transit 250 and am quite ignorant. Please say more about what my smart alternator and upfitter switch panel accomplishes. Is it OK to charge my house battery directly from upfit circuit four, the one that is hot only when the engine is running? The smart alternator would provide charge as needed? The circuit has a fuse and another would be redundant? What am I missing here?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts