Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while I've been trying to prove to myself that I'm not crazy - at least with respect to this issue. With the locking lever below the wheel released, I pull the telescopic steering column all the way toward me. Then I lock it. A week or few later, I do the same thing and find that it has slipped by a considerable amount. I haven't tried pushing really hard on it for fear of breaking something or making it worse, but I'm considering mentioning this to the dealer to see whether something can be done - ideally under warranty. I don't like to be "that person" and complain about little stuff, but I think the wheel should stay put unless my body is being thrust against it in a collision.

Can anyone else attest to a slipping steering column? (and some of you will probably be surprised to learn that it also telescopes, not just tilts - I was)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Maybe someone's trying to make you question your own sanity.

Reminds me of the old story of a guy that pranked his buddy. Every day he opened the front hood of friend's new VW bug, and added gas to the tank. Then everyone got to hear increasingly improbable stories of what good gas mileage the car was getting.

On the Transit bit, I have not looked at that friction release. Have you? Maybe there's an adjustment.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe someone's trying to make you question your own sanity.

Reminds me of the old story of a guy that pranked his buddy. Every day he opened the front hood of friend's new VW bug, and added gas to the tank. Then everyone got to hear increasingly improbable stories of what good gas mileage the car was getting.

On the Transit bit, I have not looked at that friction release. Have you? Maybe there's an adjustment.
I'd almost buy that if I wasn't the only one with keys. I haven't checked for an adjustment, but will.

Regarding VW, sounds similar to what the company did with their whole emissions testing scandal.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,866 Posts
For a while I've been trying to prove to myself that I'm not crazy -

Can anyone else attest to a slipping steering column?
I'm kind of glad to have found this post. I've noticed the same thing. I travel for weeks at a time and when I get home and get into my Transit the drivers seating position doesn't "feel right" and I later discover that the steering column is all the way down and I usually have it all the way up.

I guess I need to pay better attention to this to see if it is slipping.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,866 Posts
Reviving an old thread. My Telescopic steering is slipping. I set it at the max height in Quigleys parking lot in Manchester, PA and headed to Staunton VA for the first night with a detour through a corner of Maryland. When I got to Staunton I checked and sure enough the steering was about two inches from maximum height.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine definitely does, no mind tricks going on. With the incompetent hassle I get at the local dealer, it's something I've decided to live with. No doubt it's done on purpose to keep many warranty claims away.

Related, mine also has some vertical play with maybe 10 lbs force applied. Doesn't seem to slip in that direction though.

·
Registered
2015 148" LR 3.7
23 Posts
I thought I was the only one.... Yesterday I pulled the steering wheel out and thought to myself "I swear the steering wheel was all the way out already."

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Mine squeaked so loudly when I first extended it and adjusted it that it sounded like the steering column had laid outside in the rain at the factory, I had thought about lubing it but now I am glad I did not.
It has only been adjusted once in four years.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I was the only one.... Yesterday I pulled the steering wheel out and thought to myself "I swear the steering wheel was all the way out already."
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a feeling that mine might be doing that also.
Last trip was early March this year.

Could be a lot worse. >>> slamming down all at once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts