Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while I've been trying to prove to myself that I'm not crazy - at least with respect to this issue. With the locking lever below the wheel released, I pull the telescopic steering column all the way toward me. Then I lock it. A week or few later, I do the same thing and find that it has slipped by a considerable amount. I haven't tried pushing really hard on it for fear of breaking something or making it worse, but I'm considering mentioning this to the dealer to see whether something can be done - ideally under warranty. I don't like to be "that person" and complain about little stuff, but I think the wheel should stay put unless my body is being thrust against it in a collision.

Can anyone else attest to a slipping steering column? (and some of you will probably be surprised to learn that it also telescopes, not just tilts - I was)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Maybe someone's trying to make you question your own sanity.

Reminds me of the old story of a guy that pranked his buddy. Every day he opened the front hood of friend's new VW bug, and added gas to the tank. Then everyone got to hear increasingly improbable stories of what good gas mileage the car was getting.

On the Transit bit, I have not looked at that friction release. Have you? Maybe there's an adjustment.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe someone's trying to make you question your own sanity.

Reminds me of the old story of a guy that pranked his buddy. Every day he opened the front hood of friend's new VW bug, and added gas to the tank. Then everyone got to hear increasingly improbable stories of what good gas mileage the car was getting.

On the Transit bit, I have not looked at that friction release. Have you? Maybe there's an adjustment.
I'd almost buy that if I wasn't the only one with keys. I haven't checked for an adjustment, but will.

Regarding VW, sounds similar to what the company did with their whole emissions testing scandal.

·
Super Moderator
1,331 Posts
For a while I've been trying to prove to myself that I'm not crazy -

Can anyone else attest to a slipping steering column?
I'm kind of glad to have found this post. I've noticed the same thing. I travel for weeks at a time and when I get home and get into my Transit the drivers seating position doesn't "feel right" and I later discover that the steering column is all the way down and I usually have it all the way up.

I guess I need to pay better attention to this to see if it is slipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts