Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, working on a fast-tracked camper conversion and need to order the sliding door / forward drivers side windows. Can't decide between the AMA solid glass and CRL vented ones. I think the AMA would fit better, be better quality, and fit better, but of course no vent.

Anyone have any input or advice on this one?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a comment, but it doesn’t directly address your question. You want some way to get airflow at the very back of the van (assuming that is where you are sleeping. That can be mounting a roof fan/vent, such as MaxxAir at the very back, or some side windows toward the rear which open.

Regarding the slider, I appreciate that I have the full factory (slider) window, and wouldn’t want a window that allowed less visibility toward right rear while driving. So if AMA is not full sized, I would vote CRL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm also curious about the AMA install. I'm looking at these new slider windows for both passenger and driver side...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't address the question regarding to the quality of the AMA sliders but I can say that the installation of the AMA windows is pretty easy. I did installed an AMA window in my slider and basically the steps are to cut out the opening. On the Transit the bracing over the window openings go up to the corners so you will need to decide where to cut the rounded corners. Clean the edges with sand paper. Paint the edges with primer. Run a continuous path of window primer about 1/2 inch away from the opening all around the window opening. Use wide trim to cover your cut edges. The thin trim only covers one sheet of metal and you'll need to cover 2. Some folks squeeze the 2 panels together but they make wider trim so that's what I used. Clean your window to remove oils. Run a continuous bead of "glue" around the opening being careful to not break the bead. Overlap the beginning and ending of the bead by at least 2 inches. Stick the window to the opening and secure the top edge with tape to keep it from slipping down. Check for equal gaps and let dry for a few hours.

The window quality is really good and the tint is 17% I believe.

One window took me about 4 hours with prep and clean up. Take your time and get everything ready before cutting into your van. and you will save yourself some stress from running around looking for stuff.

Amazon has the wider trim. I believe it's 1/2 inch (outside measurement).

-Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
You might consider windows that open out rather than the sliders so you can have/leave them open in the rain.
I've heard some bad reviews about the CRL vents falling apart/losing the glass. I think the sliding one has less parts to fail. I would prefer that over the CRL.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Five months in of everyday usage and love the ama's. I don't close them (bunk windows) in the rain though necessarily I just jam some towels right at the bottom and make sure to wipe the wood and stuff but yes that is their only true downside. I love being able to run my shore power cable out that window when I charge my batteries since the screen and window are each on their own slider. Now my ama sliding door window has no screen but I kinda like that since I'm always dumping our pans of water out there and ashing out bowls and stuff. I use it a lot for when it gets steamy or smokey from cooking across the way too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@transit-ion-me @Stone Can you post some pics looking out from the inside of your AMAs? I was sold on them, but found some from a sprinter install where it looks like a large amount of the window area from the inside is blacked out. I'd love to see exactly how the transit version looks from the inside if you or anyone else can post photos.

Thanks!

Sprinter photos on page 2 of this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66922&page=2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@transit-ion-me @Stone Can you post some pics looking out from the inside of your AMAs? I was sold on them, but found some from a sprinter install where it looks like a large amount of the window area from the inside is blacked out. I'd love to see exactly how the transit version looks from the inside if you or anyone else can post photos.

Thanks!

Sprinter photos on page 2 of this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66922&page=2
K hope that worked

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like you got the "top slider". I hadn't considered it previously, but it looks fantastic.
Yeah it's really been nice. At first I thought I'd need a screen but after 5 months full time I'm glad it's screenless...so convenient to dump out water or scraps from pans, ash out bowls etc. and that blast of air quickly gets me maximum closed-door circulation. Also had some paper towels catch on fire once and threw them out there right away no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts