Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry I dont have an answer - you could police it with a heat gun outside and heat the interior but I cant say what effect that will have on the curing process.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Luckily, we are getting warm weather this Friday-Saturday. I ordered the 5200 fast cure and am going to put it in! My plan is to use a space heater, and some plastic around the outside of the window. Should be good to go!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Install of a 550x900 Artic Tern window from Tern Overland (Demetic Seitz style window)

Finally got my window installed today! Here is how I did it.

Step 1. Built a frame sized to encase the window and provide a dado slot for finishing the window surround once the walls are in. I built my frame from constructions lumber milled to 1 1/8 thick, and fastened using glue and a Kreg jig. I cut in the dado using my shaper.

Step 2. With the frame built I had to get the window laid out on the van. I drilled a hole through an area I was sure would be cut out with the window and used the hole to get positive references between the inside and outside of the van. This allowed me to position my template with confidence.

Step 3. Using the established reference, I set my wood frame in position, and traced the perimeter. I wanted the window placed as far forward and as low as posible.

Step 4. Grinder with a cutoff wheel made pretty quick work of cutting through the ribs.

I used a putty knife to remove the foam adhesive, and the frame fit perfectly!

Step 5. Once we had the frame cutout done, we used the frame to center the template, and trace the cutout for the window itself.

Step 6. I used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade and cut out the opening. A little bit of the grinder and it fit great!

Step 7. Prime and paint the metal edges.

Step 8. Remove rubber gasket from the window and apply 3M 5200 fast cure adhesive/sealant to the window and the frame. I removed the gasket, because this allows me to fully compress the flanges of the window to more solidly conform the curve of the van to the flat surfaces of the window and the frame. I applied the 5200 in a thick bead so it filled the gasket cavity and also had enough for some squeeze out.

Pushed the window in from the outside, arranged the frame inside, and fastened it all together using the interior flange and screws. I used the window's compression assembly to hold everything in place. I see a lot of people first clamping the frame in place and then later installing the window, but I just did it all at once. I think the interior flange will provide a more even pressure for affixing the frame to the van skin, and it proved to work great.

I didn't get any action shots because we only had two of us working. But it all went together smoothly. Once in, I dressed the squeeze out. That was probably the hardest part, because I am not good at caulking.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts