Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an urgent message from Sirus, my free XM will be gone. I have been ignoring them for months. NOw they offer me a $5 per month deal for a year. Does anyone take up this offer? We don't listen to Sat radio much, but I thought it may be handy when we travel in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
321 Posts
I bought a car several months ago and they keep telling me they're going to cut me off.
Let 'em. In the meantime I have plenty of other options.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
When ever my subscription expires they always send me a coupon for five months free.
A aftermarket car head unit, I mostly only listen to two or three channels. Can be used at home and in the car.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
When your trial subscription is up, you can negotiate the price for your continued use. I once did 6 months for $5 per month plus the fees, Where they get you is they automatically renew it at their normal rate which can be $25 per month so you just need to call them a few days before it expires and tell the you want to cancel it. They will come back with a fair offer and then you select the price you want to pay.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like having sat radio in the boondocks.
CrewVanMan nailed it -they have great "save" rates to keep you a subscriber, but it kicks to full rate unless you cancel it, no way to disable that, so note in a reminder on your favorite device or cal. 5$ is the best I have seen

·
Registered
70 Posts
I enjoy the satellite radio immensely but Sirius/XM has some of the worst customer service in the world. I bought a lifetime subscription more than 10 years ago and it has been a major hassle when I traded vehicles. They have a policy of not putting anything on paper. You just must be prepared to be on the phone a long time to get anything done. As noted above, call them to cancel just before the trial subscription is up and they will eventually give you a decent deal.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the replies. A few things that concern me:

1. Automatic renewal. I am very bad in keep track of automatic billing since I never handle paying the bills.
2. There are plenty uTube vids talking about the XM radio scam.
3. They don't allow you to cancel your subscription online. You must call and stay online for hours to talk to the agent. When you get to speak to a person, they would not allow you to cancel.
4. If you stop the CC automatic charges thru your CC company. XM radio insists you still owe them the money. They will sell your account to the collection agency. Do you have time to deal with this?

A legitimate company operating in the U.S. should not operate this way. This worries me and the headache that I don't need. The $5 a month is nothing, but the trouble to unhook from them bothers me.

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
321 Posts

1. Automatic renewal. I am very bad in keep track of automatic billing since I never handle paying the bills.
3. They don't allow you to cancel your subscription online. You must call and stay online for hours to talk to the agent. When you get to speak to the person, they would not allow you to cancel.
4. If you stop the CC automatic charges thru the CC company. XM radio insists you still owe them the money. They will sell your account to the collection agency.

A legitimate company operating in the U.S. should not operate this way. This worries me and the headache that I don't need. The $5 a month is nothing, but the trouble to unhook from them bothers me.
Reading this was like a bad memory as I had the service in a previous car and you've hit on EXACTLY what my experience was.
Again, it's why I refuse to subscribe or give them a credit card number even if it would only be $5/month.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

3. They don't allow you to cancel your subscription online. You must call and stay online for hours to talk to the agent. When you get to speak to the person, they would not allow you to cancel.
4. If you stop the CC automatic charges thru the CC company. XM radio insists you still owe them the money. They will sell your account to the collection agency.

Shall we start a list of such companies?

I always look to see what the cancellation process is before subscribing to any service, hence I have almost no subscriptions. The outfits that have no online function, generally don publish an e-mail or postal address as well. Three strikes there. Unfortunately Comcast has a monopoly on internet service where I live. At least Ajit Pai isn't running the FCC any more.

FYI - if it is a public company you can always find their postal address on the 10-K annual report. Not that is will probably do any good to keep them from erroneously turning over the debt to a collector.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with the above postings about Sirius making it difficult to cancel before it goes back to full price upon renewal.
I have let in expire in the past and then renewed when they offered a cheaper trial for 6 months. Lucked out earlier this year because my credit card reached it's expiry date and there was only a month or 2 before the Sirius 6 months were up.
Paid my months $6 + taxes for 2 months online and didn't give them the new card info. Then I had no worry about them billing me $16.95 per month on automatic renewal. Van has been at the dealer waiting on parts for the driveshaft recall for the last month anyway. Glad I wasn't paying for XM as well!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

3. They don't allow you to cancel your subscription online. You must call and stay online for hours to talk to the agent. When you get to speak to a person, they would not allow you to cancel.
4. If you stop the CC automatic charges thru your CC company. XM radio insists you still owe them the money. They will sell your account to the collection agency. Do you have time to deal with this?

1. A simple reminder on your smart phone. Wait, no smart phone? Then you are probably not an XM subscriber anyway.
2. Satellite radio has been scammed by customers for years sharing logins. They have toughened up.
3. Having to call to cancel something isn't uncommon. Waiting hours is an exaggeration unless you just like to talk, it can take 30-45 mins to cancel. Just be firm and do not entertain discounted renewal offers. First tier customer support is not able to cancel, don't be mean to them, just firm. #bekind
4. You do owe money if you listened and didn't pay. They will gladly refund any unused days left in your subscription, you just have to call.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I bought my Transit, the dealer accidently put down in the system that I bought a F-150 as well. Sirus XM has been the most aggressive telemarketers I have ever experienced. I got 3-5 calls a DAY, it only stopped because I blocked their number after I got fed up. It's really nice in the West Coast because there are many dead spots for FM, but I also found travelling around British Columbia there were dead spots for XM as well. My phone is always connected to me head unit so I play music via that, either music already downloaded or streaming though Spotify, etc..

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Pay with a debit card, They expire every two years. Then you have to make a effort to continue with Sirius if you choose to.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you can use a California address for your account, you will see that there is a cancel option on the company's webpage that is not available if your account address is in another state. California passed a law because of businesses like Sirius XM that made it purposely difficult to cancel. In California, if you can sign up on the internet, you can cancel on the internet.

The other option is to use their chat feature. It was still a hassle, but I didn't have to wait 30 minutes on hold. They will insist on a reason for why you are cancelling. I just told them I was too busy to listen, and that seemed acceptable to them.

Good luck!

Edit: If you use the chat feature, have everything typed up in advance in a text window, and just paste it into chat. Your account number, reason for cancellation, etc. Present the rep with everything they need in advance, so they don't need to convince you not to cancel. Makes it easier for them too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can redo the $5/mo trial in perpetuity (I'm going on 7yrs)
They now have a 12mo deal which makes it a bit easier.

1) Set alarm in your phone to cancel a few weeks before the "trial" ends.
2) Call & say you want to cancel.
3) After a few mins, they'll magically find the same $5mo deal.
4) Repeat

It usually takes about 15-20 mins on the phone to do both mine & wife's car

·
Registered
129 Posts
< versus tire rider here (get some!)

I've done the cancel and continue game. I still feel bad doing it as some poor customer service rep has to do that awkward back and forth until they can get permission to give the $5 a month contract.

Meanwhile XM seems to have included the premium channels on the app. (When it works)

·
Registered
2020 HR T250 Eco AWD
171 Posts
I am an original subscriber. I just like it when traveling on the bike more than anything else. I guess it is no commercials, not knowing what is coming next and also the ability to change genera/stations. I have tons of songs on my phone, like over 900 but for some reason I still like the unknown. I have Spotify too. I use it to practice drums to since I can make playlists that have what I am working on that week and my over all best songs ever playlist. I have never had issue with service but I also have never left. Just added or changed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can redo the $5/mo trial in perpetuity (I'm going on 7yrs)
They now have a 12mo deal which makes it a bit easier.

1) Set alarm in your phone to cancel a few weeks before the "trial" ends.
2) Call & say you want to cancel.
3) After a few mins, they'll magically find the same $5mo deal.
4) Repeat

It usually takes about 15-20 mins on the phone to do both mine & wife's car
This is what Z does for our other vehicle, his mom's car, and my mom's car. I might be imagining things, but it seems that SiriusXM has gotten easier over the years. He no longer has to listen to them trying to upsell him. He calls a couple of weeks before the year is up, tells them he would like to extend at the same price unless there is something cheaper. The last several years they've just immediately agreed - none of this "I have to transfer you to customer retention" or "Let me see if I can get that approved" nonsense. I don't remember the last time he had to actually cancel and wait for them to come back with a better offer. More than 10 years ago.

However they did mess up in April. We got the email confirming next year at $5/month but they missed a set-up in their system and we got charged the current rate of $28. Z called, they apologized, and issued a refund. Took less than 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts