Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van doesn't have any windows with screens, so I've been looking for a way to get ventilation when running my roof fan. I saw a thread where someone found a good place to put a hole in the floor, but it looked like a fair amount of work so I was holding out for something else. I've tried just leaving the front windows down a couple inches, but then bug get in. So I figured there should be a way to use the front window with a bug screen.

What I came up with is a clear polycarbonate sheet that has a screen in it and can insert in the top of the window. It's the same thickness as the glass so it will insert into the side and top window guides. At the bottom it essentially has a "U" shape to go around the top of the window. So I roll down the window, insert the screen holder piece, then push it into to top by rolling up the window.

It's yet to be ventilation
tested, but based on doing this without the screen a couple nights, I think it's going to do the trick.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive exterior
Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
X9C 350 Med Roof Pass AWD 3.5L Non-turbo
101 Posts
I have been using the $2 rain gutter vent screens, but I think I will be switching to just using a magnet bug screen. Transit windows have metal for the magnets to hold from the inside so can keep screen up while driving and just wind down window when getting to camp.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,145 Posts
Nice job, looks good!

We have a screened window for night/rainy ventilation. For bug protection when we want lots of air in the van we made some outside screens that cover the entire driver and passenger windows. They aren't as polished looking as some of the commercial offerings but they were really cheap and work great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful work, @Williemakeit. We have the vents @Jrl941 links as well. Comparing to yours, I wonder if bolting two strips of poly to either side might work better than the bent metal bits.
I considered that but would have had to do a little more work to get it done that way. The polycarbonate thickness (to match the window thickness 0.15) is not very stiff so getting it all to align required some lead-in and flexibility. These little projects are like doing the first prototype, I’m sure there is room for improvement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We use these bug screens . I refer to them as window socks since
they're just a double layer of mesh that fits over the top of the window.
Non-rigid so easily wodges up and fits in the door pocket,
no magnets/velcro/adhesive/etc ..
Nice, if I would have seen these before I started I would have just bought one for 16 bucks.
😂

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,277 Posts
I considered that but would have had to do a little more work to get it done that way. The polycarbonate thickness (to match the window thickness 0.15) is not very stiff so getting it all to align required some lead-in and flexibility. These little projects are like doing the first prototype, I’m sure there is room for improvement.
Totally. I'd guess it would require an extra layer to make the gap wider. Then it would look pretty similar to the metal setup that Van Upgrades sells. But I wouldn't "fix" it if it's working. (y)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have a pair of Euro sliders I bought and never use because nowadays I pretty much always run the a/c, or occasionally the ducted/screened AC Infinity vent system.

I've been meaning to ebay the sliders. Anyone in the market? Only problem is it might be a month before I get back home where the sliders are.

Having the metal eaves to prevent water intrusion is why I bought them. If my screen doors and windows at home weren't under the house eave, rain water would constantly get in.

Cheers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a pair of Euro sliders I bought and never use because nowadays I pretty much always run the a/c, or occasionally the ducted/screened AC Infinity vent system.

I've been meaning to ebay the sliders. Anyone in the market? Only problem is it might be a month before I get back home where the sliders are.

Having the metal eaves to prevent water intrusion is why I bought them. If my screen doors and windows at home weren't under the house eave, rain water would constantly get in.

Cheers.
Yeah, I figured I might have to fabricate a rain gutter or shield but currently don’t have access to a bending device. Also trying to decide if it should be metal or polycarbonate. A couple dryer vent covers would probably work but might look a bit goofy…not sure how important looks are anyway.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts