Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping with the theme of using what ya got and cleaning out my garage as I build, the rack is done. Less than 300$ and 100# weight, it is done enough for an occasional SUP board.or canoe. Had to buy 2, 1 5/8 uni sticks, the rubber feet, M8 bolts, and Raptor 2 part truck bed liner. The rest of the 7/8 strut, L brackets, uni nuts,3/8 bolts, etc was from the garage. Solar Panel is Nupower 210 watt, only putting out 9 because of rain today-LOL. Side rail will have 3/8 eye bolts for the awning from the Element to clip on.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Window
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle
Audio equipment Gadget Electronic engineering Font Electronic device

·
Registered
17 350 XL HD passenger van converted
564 Posts
Looks good! Good job. Looking to do something similar with left over unistrut I have. What rubber pads/feet did you buy? How did you mount solar panel to the rails?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good! Good job. Looking to do something similar with left over unistrut I have. What rubber pads/feet did you buy? How did you mount solar panel to the rails?
used these vibration pads, but they compressed more than I thought and the cross struts had very little clearance from roof peak. So I added a piece 1/[email protected] gal steel as a spacer/stiffener and I cut and welded Unistrut to it, so it could hold the panel. The panel fit perfect inside the U of the strut once I sliced the top Jhook area off.
Amazon.com

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keeping with the theme of using what ya got and cleaning out my garage as I build, the rack is done. Less than 300$ and 100# weight, it is done enough for an occasional SUP board.or canoe. Had to buy 2, 1 5/8 uni sticks, the rubber feet, M8 bolts, and Raptor 2 part truck bed liner. The rest of the 7/8 strut, L brackets, uni nuts,3/8 bolts, etc was from the garage. Solar Panel is Nupower 210 watt, only putting out 9 because of rain today-LOL. Side rail will have 3/8 eye bolts for the awning from the Element to clip on. View attachment 165597 View attachment 165598 View attachment 165599 View attachment 165600
Well finished/remembered I had eyebolts I was supposed to use on the unistrut L brackets for the awning. Installed and then tested the rack with some 20ft pvc pipe for the vans shelter.
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Tire Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Hood Tree Window Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Did you happen to use our pads between the roof and the unistrut?

All the best
Hein
DIYvan

·
Registered
17 350 XL HD passenger van converted
564 Posts

All the best
Hein
DIYvan

Hein I just ordered them for my unistrut install.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking forward to that post. ;)

All the best
Hein
DIYvan

Argh, no- didn't see them :)
Ordered thick rubber vibration pads for machinery, 6x6, and cut the into 2x6. Thin Silicone for sealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts