Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 transit hr nonextended with the hd alternator and two batteries under the seat. I have at my house 270 ah lithium battery, 2000k inverter/transfer switch with control panel for shore, 2 victron b2b chargers and their battery monitor. I haven't finished or finished my design yet. Basically I have a bed over bike slide / garage and walls and most insulation in place. I have the materials for the ceiling but have not started that yet or started my wiring diagram. I also just received the fan i want to put in. I am ordering lights soon. Can I hook up the fan and lights to ccp 1 with a simple wiring for the short term while i put in the ceiling and then design the cabinets, battery and electrical components panel. Or would it be better just to wait and do all the electrical components at once. I would buy the blue seas circuit fuse box, 12/2 marine copper stranded wiring, switches with the lights. These would not be running for long periods of time with the van off. Phase two of electrical would to buy everything else needed to complete alternator and shore charging. My electrical knowledge is limited hence why I want to do this in stages. I am open to suggestions. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Since you have already jumped in to the electrical, and that is the most complex part of a van build, perhaps at least get a basic system going.

The mixture of parts that you have won't work completely correctly together so it is better to figure out what can / cannot work earlier than later after you have built around them.

From what you already have, you will be able to power a drill and refrigerator, so that will help you to understand what is needed to power more stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you have already jumped in to the electrical, and that is the most complex part of a van build, perhaps at least get a basic system going.

The mixture of parts that you have won't work completely correctly together so it is better to figure out what can / cannot work earlier than later after you have built around them.

From what you already have, you will be able to power a drill and refrigerator, so that will help you to understand what is needed to power more stuff.
Thank you for your response. The mixture of incomplete electrical components is due to trying to spread out the cost a bit. The van was getting 4x4 installed so I was without it for awhile but I wanted to order and pay for a decent amount of the electrical. I know I wanted to cook with induction and a small instant pot. After consulting with Battleborn, I ordered a 270 ah battery, 2000k victron inverter/transfer, 2 victron b2b chargers, victron battery monitor and got a little discount for the bundle. Now I have the maxair deluxe fan and have the fan adapters on the way.
I have 6 lights, 12 volt socket, DC fuse box, master kill switch, fuses, 2 dimmable 12 volt light switches, 12/2 marine wire, heat shrink connectors for connecting lights together and lights/fan to the fuse box.
I know I need alot more pieces for final electrical build. I don't have any breakers, bus bars, larger wire, ect. I guess what I was going to try to do was shortcut a small DC circuit into CCP 1 with just the lights and fan while I design the final cabinets and places for the electrical components.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Thank you for your response. The mixture of incomplete electrical components is due to trying to spread out the cost a bit. The van was getting 4x4 installed so I was without it for awhile but I wanted to order and pay for a decent amount of the electrical. I know I wanted to cook with induction and a small instant pot. After consulting with Battleborn, I ordered a 270 ah battery, 2000k victron inverter/transfer, 2 victron b2b chargers, victron battery monitor and got a little discount for the bundle. Now I have the maxair deluxe fan and have the fan adapters on the way.
I have 6 lights, 12 volt socket, DC fuse box, master kill switch, fuses, 2 dimmable 12 volt light switches, 12/2 marine wire, heat shrink connectors for connecting lights together and lights/fan to the fuse box.
I know I need alot more pieces for final electrical build. I don't have any breakers, bus bars, larger wire, ect. I guess what I was going to try to do was shortcut a small DC circuit into CCP 1 with just the lights and fan while I design the final cabinets and places for the electrical components.
Sorry I probably was too harsh. I completely get it that costs need to be spread out.

I am guessing that that you purchased the Victron 2000 ? / which is a 1500 watt inverter. It will take at least 2 - really 3 batteries to power it reliably.

If you start by building up a basic electrical setup, then you will be able to use it to power some lights and small tools to do the build work - which is really handy.

Don't worry about it being perfect - simple electrical stuff is easy to move around and re-do.

Harry

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Phase zero would be a list of requirements and diagrams for phase one and phase two. That would help convey your needs to those that can help and also drive what and when to purchase.

What you want to do in the interim is certainly possible but you're still going to want to have the right wiring fuses, and a way to cut it all off in a hurry to be safe. Bus bars are not expensive and lend themselves well to future expansion. Same with the fuse/distribution panel. Again, a laid out plan/progresion will shed light going forward.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I probably was too harsh. I completely get it that costs need to be spread out.

I am guessing that that you purchased the Victron 2000 ? / which is a 1500 watt inverter. It will take at least 2 - really 3 batteries to power it reliably.

If you start by building up a basic electrical setup, then you will be able to use it to power some lights and small tools to do the build work - which is really handy.

Don't worry about it being perfect - simple electrical stuff is easy to move around and re-do.

Harry
No worries. I didn't take it as harsh at all.
You are correct. It is the victron multiplus 2000. I don't plan to have alot of draw from the inverter, probably just a small induction one burner that can be unplugged and put away, middle size instant pot -probably won't be using at the same time. Will start with propane two burner stove because I already have it for camping till I get the electrical sorted out. Are you saying the 270 ah battery is undersized to power the inverter or the amount of ah is to little for the build? I was hoping not to have to wire several batteries together so I got a larger single battery. I guess now if I needed another battery, I would have to add another gc 270 ah battery? Not the end of the world but definitely didn't budget for close to 550 ah of lithium batteries. I think I can get going with 270ah and see how far it will take me. I appreciated your honesty, it keeps me realistic. Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phase zero would be a list of requirements and diagrams for phase one and phase two. That would help convey your needs to those that can help and also drive what and when to purchase.

What you want to do in the interim is certainly possible but you're still going to want to have the right wiring fuses, and a way to cut it all off in a hurry to be safe. Bus bars are not expensive and lend themselves well to future expansion. Same with the fuse/distribution panel. Again, a laid out plan/progresion will shed light going forward.
Yep, agreed. I am going off a hybrid of the far out ride and explorist life wiring diagrams. I have a rough idea of where I want to go with it but as I do things, plans change. I pulled the floor up three times cause I didn't like the final outcome. I though I was going to put the cedar ceiling in, then take a small break and design the cabinets and electrical closet but then I ordered the fan and lights and think it would be silly to install the ceiling before the fan and lights. I didn't want to install the fan yet because I wanted to give the roof layout good attention. I want a place to put whitewater kayaks, awning maybe solar so I wasnt ready to commit to a hole in the roof. It would be so nice to firmly commit to a plan and go with it. I'm jealous of people that have that ability. It's also about thinking about 5 or 10 steps ahead of what your actually doing now that boggs me down. Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at your build very quickly and have seen lots of your post. I will definitely be incorporating some of your build ideas such as the step up into the bed and the milk crate ideas. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
No worries. I didn't take it as harsh at all.
You are correct. It is the victron multiplus 2000. I don't plan to have alot of draw from the inverter, probably just a small induction one burner that can be unplugged and put away, middle size instant pot -probably won't be using at the same time. Will start with propane two burner stove because I already have it for camping till I get the electrical sorted out. Are you saying the 270 ah battery is undersized to power the inverter or the amount of ah is to little for the build? I was hoping not to have to wire several batteries together so I got a larger single battery. I guess now if I needed another battery, I would have to add another gc 270 ah battery? Not the end of the world but definitely didn't budget for close to 550 ah of lithium batteries. I think I can get going with 270ah and see how far it will take me. I appreciated your honesty, it keeps me realistic. Cheers
Battle born is one of the few LiFe batteries that I have qualified on my test stands and use in customer projects.

I have a set of 4 of the 100 amp-hr models that I use to test every system that I build. Obviously I think that they are a very decent battery. I am not a BB dealer or big promoter, but if you look at the link in my signature and the products - the recommended LiFe battery for use is a BB 100.

At the same time, I have enough history with BB and their early models to also be a bit conservative with using them to avoid issues in the field.

The van electrical systems that I build, I design them around a target 50 amp / 600 watt discharge rate per battery and at that level, they are very stable. I would never try to run one of their batteries (or most other brands with similar claims) at 100 amps -been there - have the scar.

The reason that I have 4 of those batteries for testing systems is that I run them together to test the inverters at 2000 watts and it take that to do it.

The 270 amp-hr battery more or less has the same discharge current capability as the 100 amp-hr. This is true of (nearly) all LiFe batteries on the consumer market, because there aren't all that many commercial internal BMS electronics options out there. BB has a very decent one, but AFAIK, it is the same one that is used in both batteries.

It would be more ideal if you can trade them the single 270 amp-hr model for at least two of the 100s. You can add more of them later if you need more power.

_

Just an FYI - I am a big believer in 24 volt based systems for inverters in the power range that you are running. More like a boat is set up, but it isn't mandatory, just convenient to keep things more compact.

The big challenge for you is that your multiplus is 12 volt and would need to be the 24 volt model. Hard to tell if the supplier would swap them for you - of if you want to or not.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I want a place to put whitewater kayaks, awning maybe solar so I wasnt ready to commit to a hole in the roof.
If you lay things out right you can get the kayaks inside either below or on top of the bed platform and that can be preferable in terms of security and drag. In our build we have an open "tunnel" from front to back that can carry kayaks. Also, there are really only a couple good places for the fan and IMHO the best place is at the rear right overhead when sleeping. That also leave a bunch of space for solar. Awnings can be affixed without a rack or just a rail on the slider side. Just some data points to consider. Good luck and enjoy the build!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts