Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a transit 250 cargo that im about finished converting. I just noticed that theres a big hole on the drivers side bottom toward the very back. Should I seal this? If so how? Or is it there for a reason?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I don’t think so. I think it’s there for ventilation purposes and/or pressure equalization when you close the doors.

But I might be wrong, just ask my X..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Looks like you bought used, There is suppose to be a black plastic cover there that pretty well seals things water tight.
I removed mine to use those holes to let cool air in when parked in my camper van, Other people have used the holes to route electrical cables in and out of the van.
Some people worry car exhaust may enter the van with the cover off, Most of us have rigged up some kind of gate valve to keep this from happening. Forum Search: D-Pillar floor vent

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
266 Posts
I used one hole to bring in a 115 vac cable,
With the vent in the roof needing a place to draw air from, I taped window screen over those to keep any bugs and critters out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
As long as you include a “gate” as Michael mentioned, this probably isn’t a bad idea, but with no gate (and no plastic cover), if you drive on dirt roads, you’ll get a fair amount of dust coming in while you drive. I originally fabricated a hardware cloth “screen” with some of the cheap fiberglass furnace air filter material attached. The filter was seriously clogged up with dust at the end of a season, and there was a coat of dust throughout my “garage.” I removed the screen and filter, and closed it back up with the original plastic cover last summer. Oddly, I still got a heavy dusting after that, so maybe the dust ingress is elsewhere??? Or maybe there was so much dust built up inside the body cavities from before....

An exact-fit plastic cover couldn’t cost too much at a dealer, or the online Ford-specific parts sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chrisdvr4

·
Registered
782 Posts
I thought it was the hole underside of the vehicle ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts