Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to use aluminum square tubing to mount my flexible solar panels to create an air gap on the roof. I got some stainless steel rivet nuts I was going to put in them, then remembered reading about galvanic corrosion.

What are my alternatives if this isn't the route to take?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have Aluminum panel frames bolted with stainless bolts to stainless mounting hardware. Not sure how better to do it.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
My first use of 80/20 was on the edge of the bed on my 2003 Dodge Dakota pickup. Needed to be able to place tiedown hooks where I wanted them for a load. After 12 years did not see any corrosion between the carriage bolt and the aluminum extrusion. Truck was never garaged.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Always use anti seize for aluminum to stainless. While most of the time you may not see an issue if there is sufficient moisture you will. If you live near the ocean you will, we sure do around here. For marine use it is mandatory so why not do it for your van?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there, my 1st post! Your concerns are technically correct. Post #6 is very accurate. However, it would be more of an issue if you used aluminum fasteners in steel hardware. It's a surface area issue. So, I think you will be fine. If serious about this, you can try to insulate the fastener with a rubber grommet

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback guys, I didn’t know anti seize was a thing. I’ll grab a bottle.

I was also going to paint it so that should help a little also, but on the inner of the tube I’ll add some anti seize.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, I didn’t know anti seize was a thing. I’ll grab a bottle.

I was also going to paint it so that should help a little also, but on the inner of the tube I’ll add some anti seize.
Use the anti-seize on the SS bolt threads. If you do not the threads can gall.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tef Gel is a better product for keeping stainless threads from galling. Not nearly as messy as anti sieze. I do think regular anti sieze componds are better if the siezing of threads, as opposed to galling, is the concern.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts