Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a 72x75" short king in my 148" MR, using the Ikea ribs hooked onto side rails as mentioned in many posts here. Of course it would take two sheets of plywood cut down with a seam. My thoughts are laying the 3/4" sanded plywood with the seam east/west; in case of a rear end crash hoping it would buckle up like a crumple zone.
Otherwise if I lay it the conventional way with the seam north/south, it would be very rigid and could ram into the back of the seats like a guillotine.
Am I overthinking this?

· Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Commercial vans have a safety divider between their tools and the passenger area.

This has saved many lives in collisions.

In reality, that is the only thing that will make a significant safety difference in a conversion van collision.

If those boards are very securely attached to the frame work, it helps.

If that framework is a couple of home depot 2x2s then it doesn't matter because it will all just turn into projectiles.

· Premium Member
382 Posts
I'm fairly unfamiliar w the ikea supports but they're metal correct?
Can I suggest drilling holes and using carriage bolts through the top, with washers on the underside with the nut. This makes it a little more difficult for the ply to rip away from the support if it has to get past the head of a carriage bolt.
(Also, use some blue loctite on those threads)

· Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm fairly unfamiliar w the ikea supports but they're metal correct?
Can I suggest drilling holes and using carriage bolts through the top, with washers on the underside with the nut. This makes it a little more difficult for the ply to rip away from the support if it has to get past the head of a carriage bolt.
(Also, use some blue loctite on those threads)
Sorry, but you honestly think a few washers and bolts are going to make a difference in a full speed collision?

Not to mention that you're commenting on a thread that's over a year old. They likely decided on a solution shortly after NOT replying to this thread, or were killed by a sheet of plywood or two.

I'm quite happy to have installed a metal partition before doing any other building.

· Premium Member
382 Posts
Sorry, but you honestly think a few washers and bolts are going to make a difference in a full speed collision?

Not to mention that you're commenting on a thread that's over a year old. They likely decided on a solution shortly after NOT replying to this thread, or were killed by a sheet of plywood or two.

I'm quite happy to have installed a metal partition before doing any other building.
Oh well. Maybe this thread will help someone else out.
I believe that every attempt made beyond screwing some stuff together, gets you that much closer to safety. If they didn't get a full blown partition, hopefully MOST of their stuff is bolted together enough to at least help increase survivability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.