Ford Transit USA Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR Carbonized Grey
92 Posts
Isn't that why circuit breakers exist?

Now there is the real fire hazard, Those cheap molded black plastic plugs that many people install. Sooner or later someone will try to run more then 15 amps through them and they will melt and catch fire, All it would take is a space heater and a coffee pot running at the same time.

·
Registered
2016 148MR Cargo
699 Posts
Now there is the real fire hazard, Those cheap molded black plastic plugs that many people install. Sooner or later someone will try to run more then 15 amps through them and they will melt and catch fire, All it would take is a space heater and a coffee pot running at the same time.
Which is why I have a 2-phase breaker next to the D pillar where this comes inside, roughly inboard of the top of the tail light housing. (Lower came too close to a tied motorcycle tire.)
iirc without looking it up - The ABYC code for boats is that a shore power breaker is required within the first 10 feet and before the first load.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
My biggest problem with those black cordsets are they are of the same quality as those cheap orange extension cords. Cheap orange extension cords are illegal for commercial use, At least as far as the electrical code is concerned.
Using the proper plugs and slightly heavier cord and you will never have a worry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there a 15 amp inlet plug option that you would recommend @ranxerox ?

I'm planning on using a Multiplus with Power Assist which would allow me to pull no more than 15 amps, and I would like to cut down on the weight/space requirements of a larger cord.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts

·
Registered
2016 148MR Cargo
699 Posts
My biggest problem with those black cordsets are they are of the same quality as those cheap orange extension cords. Cheap orange extension cords are illegal for commercial use, At least as far as the electrical code is concerned.
Using the proper plugs and slightly heavier cord and you will never have a worry.
The only two problems are in not watching for corroded pins (lack of maintenance) and overloading. Any 15A plug with 14 AWG wiring (typical) NEEDS to have no more than a 15A circuit breaker, both in the van and in the house/garage outlet it plugs into. Unfortunately, people have no idea what's in the house and use the cheapest single C/B in the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Perhaps just a simple 120 volt neon panel lamp mounted at the dashboard. No shore power, no light...

120 volt neon panel lamp
I used a plug-in night light in a duplex outlet to remind me that my house inverter was left on. Simple solution.

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR Carbonized Grey
92 Posts
We now have a less embarrassing prototype for the rear, left to right:
  • 12V Anderson PowerPole out
  • RJ45 ethernet (think Starlink, see DishyPowa)
  • Journeyman NEMA-15 output
  • LEDs to indicate both 12V and 120V state
  • Baja Designs S1 reverse light (if it ever shows up)
This one sits flush with the height of the OEM trailer hitch, hopefully it won't drag and snap off.. fun times.

Camera accessory Camera lens Camera Digital camera Cameras & optics

Input device Computer hardware Audio equipment Peripheral Electronic instrument
Audio equipment Font Circle Electronic device Gas

Our planned version is a sorta a mash-up of @natecostello's and @Alan D's efforts... We're still in the prototyping phase (thus the 1/8" cheapie MDF laser cut to confirm sizing and spacing, Fusion 360 novice alert).

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Looks good @dorkmatt one comment: I have not had good luck with the type of weather cap that is shown in the picture -- the type that relies on friction to stay in place. If it has a solid "snap" when it is put on, it will probably be okay, but if not it will likely loosen up over time and eventually it won't stay in. At least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
759 Posts
We now have a less embarrassing prototype for the rear, left to right:
  • 12V Anderson PowerPole out
  • RJ45 ethernet (think Starlink, see DishyPowa)
  • Journeyman NEMA-15 output
  • LEDs to indicate both 12V and 120V state
  • Baja Designs S1 reverse light (if it ever shows up)
This one sits flush with the height of the OEM trailer hitch, hopefully it won't drag and snap off.. fun times.

View attachment 172160

View attachment 172158 View attachment 172159
Are you planning on selling these?

·
Registered
2022 Transit 350 HR Cargo AWD w all windows, AC and Coolant taps,
39 Posts
Thought I'd share how I'm going about my shorepower connection. I'm using the rectangular factory hole in the rear bumper structure. @DaveInSeattle was the inspiration. The dxf files are available on my etsy shop for 100$. Just kidding. Information wants to be free. The details and dxf are here:

Teaser:
View attachment 164342

Should work in either passenger or driver side (you just have to flip the cut corner to the left for the passenger side to avoid an interference. The holes should also work for a standard shorepower plug as well as a smartplug.
What are the pros and cons of using the black vinyl trim area just in front of the drivers side rear wheel? This is where I would prefer my shore power to come in. I suspect one would have to remove the vinyl trim to deal with the metal filings from the hole saw from drilling thru the inner metal layer.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
2016 148MR Cargo
699 Posts
You certainly could do it IF you well plan how to seal the inner of the two holes you will need. The interior surface can be seen in this photo:

This is going to be a bit of a puzzle because the plastic will always have a small amount of vibration, expansion, and other movement relative to the sheet metal beneath it. Viewed from inside, the plug mounted to the exterior plastic will be going in, out, and wobble enough to make that seal difficult to achieve.

Or

Mount and seal the plug to the metal and space it out to a larger hole in the plastic.

It was pretty easy to mount to the plastic at the end of the bumper and come in the bottom of the D pillar.

·
Registered
2017 350 XL HD passenger
782 Posts
Here's mine:

·
Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
759 Posts
I mounted mine down under the back. Very easy that then just came up thru the small round grommet.
sorry pics are sideway. On my iPad they are correct but as soon as I post them they turn.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wood Door Metal Fashion accessory Lock

Attachments

61 - 77 of 77 Posts