Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a downloadable copy of the Ford factory service manual for the Transit? Alternately, who has the best price on a printed copy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Helminc.com is the only source I know if you want to pay retail, ebay has "expired" cd's for a lot less. Try a saved search till one shows up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just received my 2015 service manual dvd from www.diyrepairmanuals.com. Shipping time and customer service was excellent.
But... I have to say I am underwhelmed by the information that is made available on the disk. That is not the fault of the retailer.
The one item I really wanted to be clear about... the flex disk coupler (giubo) is only mentioned as an afterthought for when you might want to remove the driveshaft.
It cannot be found even in the itemized index, which lists every part on the van.
Will I get my money back by being able to do repairs I might not otherwise have been able to do? Yes.
Do I recommend the dvd? What can I say... it is the official Ford document that all of the service techs use. But they use it in conjunction with OASIS. A DIY like myself does not have access to that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The Giubo is really simple- 6 bolts. No offense but if they had to explain it someone probably shouldn't be touching it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not offended, Budsky. I know the flex disk is not just a matter of removing and replacing 6 bolts. There are more components fitted to the part that work to stabilize it and the driveshaft. In my opinion, the manual should include that info. And that is what my post is about. I believe taking things in context is important.

But I digress... I'm glad my post amused you.

I've been repairing my vehicles for over 35 years. I'm confident in my skills as a DIY.

Good luck to you if you choose to replace one based on the information you have.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
No idea what those are. I got the official service manual for the Transit from Helminc and it fits on a CD.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Not entirely sure, though the #2 disc make some reference on the label, to 2018.

You'd have to get the specific contents.

I've got a Ford disc for 2015, dated July 2014, that covers full size Transit, Explorer, Super Duty, and Taurus.

BTW, I would sell my disc for the paltry sum of $60.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
i past transit forum threads those Ebay DVDs were reported to be old ford dealer service manual copies used in techs computers for faster service manual access then going online to access them.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
i past transit forum threads those Ebay DVDs were reported to be old ford dealer service manual copies used in techs computers for faster service manual access then going online to access them.
ahh... makes sense and why they're so expensive, they cover all models. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased the service manual dvd from my local Ford dealer. Now a really basic question: does anyone know how to read this dvd on a mac? Do I need to install VMWare Fusion, or will CrossOver Mac work, or is there another simpler option, given that my shop and desktop computers are both Macs?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Don't know about mac but they are a PITA even on windows- they require some ancient almost unobtainable version of Adobe Acrobat to run.
I could never even get mine Transit one to work right on windows 10- had to resurrect an old laptop on windows 7 to use it....

The software appears the same as it was when I bought my first Ford service manual on CD IIRC back about 1998!

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Don't know about mac but they are a PITA even on windows- they require some ancient almost unobtainable version of Adobe Acrobat to run.
I could never even get mine Transit one to work right on windows 10- had to resurrect an old laptop on windows 7 to use it....

The software appears the same as it was when I bought my first Ford service manual on CD IIRC back about 1998!
Sounds about right. Domestic Car Companies are SOOOOOOOOO far behind regarding technology. They don't HAVE to be, they could always hire some high school kid with average high school kid computer abilities to revamp their website and the service manual and any other digital domain thing to be current with modern technology. But they don't. Maybe it's one of those anti-education, anti-science things popular with certain segments of the American population?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
It wanted Acrobat 5 IIRC. Current version is like 12! Much prefer the old manuals on paper. They often had advice and educated you on the systems too.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts

You are right! Ancient support modules, AND you have to set your PC's date back to before whatever year the disc was produced. AND, you typically have to have the disc in the drive in order to access the info.

Well, I did overcome that last item, installing on my older Win7 laptop: prior to install, I manually changed the drive letter of my DVD drive to Z. Did the install, and verified it worked. Renamed the DVD drive back original default letter. Copied all DVD content over to a folder on the hard disk. Mapped that folder as drive Z. And... it works! Much faster at data access! But, drive needs to be mapped after each reboot. I wrote a 1-line batch file to auto-run at startup, to take care of that.

AND, related to the ancient support modules, I could never get the wiring diagrams to display, even though they are a listed item on the disc. I think it's due to a missing module.

AND, as Alarmist (the first one on here to have the service DVD) has noted -- the disc is pretty light on a whole lot of information you might like to have... for the 2015 model year, at least.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Alldatadiy manual option

I don't think this has been reported in the forum previously; Today I discovered that there is now an online subscription for a 2015 Ford Transit Service manual available on the Alldatadiy dot com website. This is the 2015 service manual only. Not sure how it compares to what is available online at helm dot com. It does have the wiring diagrams, which I could never get to work from my Helm 2015 Transit service manual CD.

The regular Alldata cost for this is 24.95 per year or I think it was 44.95 for a three year subscription. I've had Alldata subscriptions for other owned vehicles previously and received an email today from Alldata announcing an offering that I add a vehicle or extend a vehicle subscription for $12.95, via entering the code "END2017" in the coupon code box on the cart check-out screen. Said code good only through end of 2017. Not sure if this discount code will work at check out for entirely new subscribers at Alldata, but worth a try.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I could never get the wiring diagrams to display, even though they are a listed item on the disc. I think it's due to a missing module.
The SVG viewer is needed. That was obsoleted by Adobe some years back, but there is third party support for it. Once loaded, wiring diagrams appeared.

I use an HP Thin Client running Windows 7. They are not a bad slow computer, 5430 -- 12W running 0W in standby. Used thumbstick as a hard drive, boots Linux in a few seconds but give it five minutes for Windows 7.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I am still SHOCKED that there is not a PDF of the service manual available somewhere online. Or at least the wiring diagram.

It's shameful in this age of information.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts