Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, new to forum. Looking at ordering a transit to convert into a class b camper. My last car,Jetta TDI, required a 40K transmission (auto dual clutch DSG) oil change at a cost of $450+. Quite involve procedure requiring an IV bottle, chanting, a small goat and candles. Also the GPS update is $200 and the system sucks. What will be the service costs for the auto/manual trans? I don't want surprises like the $750 40K service or costly updates for the GPS .

·
Registered
640 Posts
1 trans, 6 speed auto. This is a FORD product,serviced by any dealer. NO VOODOO here.
Many people are considering this Van to get away from what you are saying.

VanMan

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ford literature states: Transmission fluid is "filled for life" to help lower cost of ownership.
So no fluid change needed for the life of the trans?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Howdy, new to forum. Looking at ordering a transit to convert into a class b camper. My last car,Jetta TDI, required a 40K transmission (auto dual clutch DSG) oil change at a cost of $450+. Quite involve procedure requiring an IV bottle, chanting, a small goat and candles. Also the GPS update is $200 and the system sucks. What will be the service costs for the auto/manual trans? I don't want surprises like the $750 40K service or costly updates for the GPS .
Howdy, mojogoat. Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair. I'm new here too, and I believe we have found the best source for Transit information bar none. Dealers should be reading this site to get a clue.

I'll echo VanMan's comment above about the 6-speed auto trans. And if I've got my facts right, that is the same proven transmission which is used in the F-150's and the Mustangs. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

The same goes for the 3.7 liter V-6 engine. Its a proven engine. And, again if I'm not wrong, the Eco-boost engine shares the same block, maybe stroked differently, with different intake manifolds, sensors, and fuel injectors.

Oh, and computers. Did I mention computers? This is where I share your concerns. I hope Ford uses more robust sensor architecture than the MBenz Sprinters. The Sprinter folks seem to suffer more from sensor failures screwing up the whole vehicle than from actual mechanical engine / trans failures. And the super clean turbo diesels with the urea tank that you can't even pee in to refill - Ha! Don't get me started!

Oh for the days of my dad's '59 F-100 pickup with a straight-6, 3-speed on the column, and a 2-barrel carb about the size of a beer can. That truck was bullet-proof. I know that today's modern vehicles are a lot more complicated, but we all require our vehicles to be reliable. I'm hoping for bullet-proof from Ford. Dream on, eh?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ford literature states: Transmission fluid is "filled for life" to help lower cost of ownership.
We joke about this @ work "filled for life" WHO's LIFE?"
Most new stuff does NOT have a transmission dipstick any more.
These are VANs where talking about: if you overload a vehicle, you can "bake" the trans.
No "free lunch"

VanMan

·
Registered
640 Posts
Howdy, mojogoat. Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair. I'm new here too, and I believe we have found the best source for Transit information bar none. Dealers should be reading this site to get a clue.

I'll echo VanMan's comment above about the 6-speed auto trans. And if I've got my facts right, that is the same proven transmission which is used in the F-150's and the Mustangs. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

The same goes for the 3.7 liter V-6 engine. Its a proven engine. And, again if I'm not wrong, the Eco-boost engine shares the same block, maybe stroked differently, with different intake manifolds, sensors, and fuel injectors.

Oh, and computers. Did I mention computers? This is where I share your concerns. I hope Ford uses more robust sensor architecture than the MBenz Sprinters. The Sprinter folks seem to suffer more from sensor failures screwing up the whole vehicle than from actual mechanical engine / trans failures. And the super clean turbo diesels with the urea tank that you can't even pee in to refill - Ha! Don't get me started!

Oh for the days of my dad's '59 F-100 pickup with a straight-6, 3-speed on the column, and a 2-barrel carb about the size of a beer can. That truck was bullet-proof. I know that today's modern vehicles are a lot more complicated, but we all require our vehicles to be reliable. I'm hoping for bullet-proof from Ford. Dream on, eh?
I will try to get you started,
If you want to put pee in the tank, use dog urine. That is how it was discoverd. More Amonia in fido's than human,s Urea is synth. version. Was changed to DEF (name only) because people don,t want to have to pay $10 a gallon for piss.
Ford has a very good processer/ECU,sensors etc.
All your comments are right in general, this/these are a good product,
Take care of your vehicle, it will take care of you 1959 or 2015
VanMan

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I will try to get you started,
If you want to put pee in the tank, use dog urine. That is how it was discoverd. More Amonia in fido's than human,s Urea is synth. version. Was changed to DEF (name only) because people don,t want to have to pay $10 a gallon for piss.
Ford has a very good processer/ECU,sensors etc.
All your comments are right in general, this/these are a good product,
Take care of your vehicle, it will take care of you 1959 or 2015
VanMan
OK. Whose dog peed in the diesel engine while it was being tested for emissions?

·
Registered
258 Posts
So no fluid change needed for the life of the trans?
I read that as snark - haha.

But your point is taken. I learned about this indirectly on the older BMW 5-series and 7-series big sedans. There is apparently no drain plug on the transmission - only a fill plug. So if you were a conscientious BMW driver, and thought that the transmission fluid should be changed, you had to siphon it out through the fill plug. So very few owners did it. And, at just about 100,000 miles, the transmission fluid had broken down enough that the transmission croaked. It is very expensive to fix / replace big BMW transmissions - on an 8-year old BMW it is more than the car is worth.

I am no ace auto mechanic, so I'll ask the forum ... Is this commonplace for automatic transmissions nowadays? No drain plug? No reasonable way to replace the transmission fluid with new fluid?

The slogan "Better Living Through Chemistry" may be true for transmission fluid too, but has the chemistry of the fluid changed so much that it is "forever fluid"?

How are we supposed to get 250,000 miles+ from our vehicles?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I HATE that they advertise that.

and I HATE that they quit putting tranny dipsticks in new vehicles.

They'll tell you that it's a lifetime fluid, but fail to mention that they consider a "lifetime" to be 5 years/100,000 miles.

These people think they're good because the manufacturer tells them it's "filled for life" and ruin their tranny because of it.

My sprinter didn't come with a dipstick....

It should be criminal.

No such thing as lifetime fluid. Service it like any other tranny.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I read that as snark - haha.

But your point is taken. I learned about this indirectly on the older BMW 5-series and 7-series big sedans. There is apparently no drain plug on the transmission - only a fill plug. So if you were a conscientious BMW driver, and thought that the transmission fluid should be changed, you had to siphon it out through the fill plug. So very few owners did it. And, at just about 100,000 miles, the transmission fluid had broken down enough that the transmission croaked. It is very expensive to fix / replace big BMW transmissions - on an 8-year old BMW it is more than the car is worth.

I am no ace auto mechanic, so I'll ask the forum ... Is this commonplace for automatic transmissions nowadays? No drain plug? No reasonable way to replace the transmission fluid with new fluid?

The slogan "Better Living Through Chemistry" may be true for transmission fluid too, but has the chemistry of the fluid changed so much that it is "forever fluid"?

How are we supposed to get 250,000 miles+ from our vehicles?
I you ask me, very commonplace for many years, was that they wanted you to pull the trans pan to replace the filter. to do it really right, you need to flush the fluid in the torque converter also.
All the beemers I have be around where stick shift,never looked at autos

·
Registered
640 Posts
I HATE that they advertise that.

and I HATE that they quit putting tranny dipsticks in new vehicles.

They'll tell you that it's a lifetime fluid, but fail to mention that they consider a "lifetime" to be 5 years/100,000 miles.

These people think they're good because the manufacturer tells them it's "filled for life" and ruin their tranny because of it.

My sprinter didn't come with a dipstick....

It should be criminal.

No such thing as lifetime fluid. Service it like any other tranny.
Exacty, they want to to buy again as soon as you pay it off,then again,repeat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I you ask me, very commonplace for many years, was that they wanted you to pull the trans pan to replace the filter. to do it really right, you need to flush the fluid in the torque converter also.
All the beemers I have be around where stick shift,never looked at autos
Thank you, VanMan. These days, that's a dealer or dedicated transmission shop level of repair. And rightly so. And kinda pricey. Especially when the transmission croaks. Thanks for reminding me of pulling the trans pan.

When I was 8-years old, my dad supervised me rebuilding our 1-hp Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine. I understood engines after that. But when he told me how our Oldsmobile 4-speed Hydramatic worked, it sounded like magic. It still does.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thank you, VanMan. These days, that's a dealer or dedicated transmission shop level of repair. And rightly so. And kinda pricey. Especially when the transmission croaks. Thanks for reminding me of pulling the trans pan.

When I was 8-years old, my dad supervised me rebuilding our 1-hp Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine. I understood engines after that. But when he told me how our Oldsmobile 4-speed Hydramatic worked, it sounded like magic. It still does.
I am NOT the expert here, plenty of sharp people, just "connect the dots" with all comments and form your own view.
Same type of thing w/Bringgs @ same age, wanted horizontial shaft ones for minibikes (the 60s)
Most people dont know about vehicles anymore, "Looks sell" so car companys "PLAY" you with words. What they say is right,but you need to read more into what they are saying.
8-9-10 speed auto trans is the way all the car companys are going and smaller engines. NEW 2015 F150 ford ecoboost is VERY special. 2.7 GDI/turbos, START/STOP when you stop (braking) engine shuts off,start pull away, it starts. EVERY thing is going to be like this for gas mileage/emmissions.
Any golfers here? like a golf cart is how it will work.

VanMan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you like your dipstick, you can keep your dipstick, period. There isn't a smidgen of transmission failures we know about, period

·
Registered
640 Posts
OK. Whose dog peed in the diesel engine while it was being tested for emissions?
I have no idea how they discovered this? it is injected downstream of the engine, upstream of the cat. converter. Ends up being WAY better and everyone is starting to do it. This is how those VW car diesel got 50 state emission rated and 50+ mpg.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I do not know if it is way better. One more computer controlled system that has had issues in the Sprinter. Requires heating of fluid tank and supply lines in cold weather.
I think my 08 Sprinter without the piss is simpler. I would not buy a diesel with the piss system.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts