Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
In my area for a well appointed van like yours that is low for what I have seen. Especially considering the mileage. Just my 2 cents.
I would research prices in your area.
Hmm.... I guess empty cargo vans in my area are going for $50k. So maybe I should set a target of $75k?
I think my van is in "excellent" condition, but using the "very good" setting for valuation.

Private Party:
Font Technology Circle Screenshot Diagram

Trade-in
Font Circle Screenshot Diagram Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are good w 75 put 95 on it and see if the phone rings
I’m in the leave as is camp as in a few years you’ll want new tech.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Have an open house on the weekend to entertain offers. Just like a house; since it will cost almost as much.
A little wine and cheese buffet, maybe hire some professional stagers.

·
Registered
Ordered 10/11/21- R2X 250 Hi Roof LWB Cargo AWD, Ecoboost, Avalanche Gray, removed PSD :-(, iACC&360
100 Posts
See if you can find a “comp” in VanLifeTrader?

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
177 Posts
I vote to sell; advertise as is for $84.9k and not a penny less. The viable offers will determine how appropriately you gaged the asking price. Given the low mileage, the very thoughtful design concepts that were implemented and the maximal functional total package, I would imagine that it will be just the one that someone is looking to purchase.

It is rarely used as a cost benefit aspect to purchasing a used, livable van, but all the hours, weeks, months that you put into this vehicle has added significant value in real dollars in the current market. I wish I could tell one of my neighbors about it being for sale for the price you mentioned above. The only problem is that he is such a dufus that I desire not to see him owning such a grand specimen. Me, on the other hand, I could purchase it, add $10k of ammenities and feel like I got the deal of the decade, given the current marketplace.

Another thought, sell it before it breaks and plan for deluxe doggie hospice services when that time comes-which I hope will not be for ages...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you're not going to use it for a while, sell it at a premium. Plan to buy a 2023 or 2024 van special order for a good (not insane markup) price, with everything you want, and you have a couple years to plan.

Or just invest in a doggie ramp and some AC.

Reactions: lucienpsmith

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,145 Posts
The same theory for the van itself, in 2-3+ years there likely will be improved drivetrains, features, and efficiency.
This is why I WOULDN'T sell a low mileage older van. I don't want the new, fancy stuff. Look at how the new electric steering is preventing Quadvan from converting the new vans. I don't want a 10 speed transmission either. Or all the added electronics, smart alternators and so on. Simple, basic, reliable is what I want. Bells and whistles need not apply.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
This is why I WOULDN'T sell a low mileage older van. I don't want the new, fancy stuff. Look at how the new electric steering is preventing Quadvan from converting the new vans. I don't want a 10 speed transmission either. Or all the added electronics, smart alternators and so on. Simple, basic, reliable is what I want. Bells and whistles need not apply.
yeah the new gadgetry described as "major model upgrades" is usually cheap bells and whistles slapped on just so they can say this year is "better" than last year. I'm talking about the possibility of a PHEV, opening side windows, bigger brake rotors, windshield and engine compartment that doesn't allow water to pour all over everything, magic turbocharger that separates nitrogen and oxygen from thin air and adds that oxygen to the engine for combustion while venting the nitrogen. Stuff like that. Not an 18 position memory turn signal stalk or a MySuk that goes to 11; with annual contract and monthly fees, of course.
I have a sneaking suspicion we're going to see small battery hybrid systems in all vehicles soon. Like 5-10kw. Maybe not activating the drivetrain, but assisting with a bit of oomph, or just running all the electric stuff so the alternator doesn't put as much load on the engine. Like electric AC and stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dealer markup example…

Reactions: lucienpsmith

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Oh, my crystal ball says there will not be an actual model change (electronic gadgetry aside) until at least 2025. Ford tends to run in 5+ year cycles for these.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Oh, my crystal ball says there will not be an actual model change (electronic gadgetry aside) until at least 2025. Ford tends to run in 5+ year cycles for these.
2020 was not actually a much of a model change. Some drivetrain changes and different electrical architecture.
My speculation is that the next chassis will be dedicate BEV and the current chassis will continue on as ICE version as long as there is a market/ regulations allow. . When that will be, I have no clue. No clue if or for how the Transit "Classic" would continue as a second BEV van. I suppose it depends on the configuration and market that they plan the BEV for. Contractors vs delivery fleets?

Think 3rd/4th gen E series, essentially the same chassis for 36 years and still being produced as a cutaway. Who knows that could very well continue to the same drop dead date as the Transit.

One thing for sure is any camper van capabilities will be serendipitous for the most part. Ad oh yea, and you can keep dreaming about your cab over. Never gonna happen. Now where's my Hi Ace?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
After much consideration, looks like I'm gonna sell it. Probably list as a campervan for $75k, or I'll list it for $55k as a cargo van and strip everything except the floor liner, wall lining, roof rack, wheel liners, running boards, window deflectors, hood deflectors, and any other exterior items that are not worth the trouble of removing. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
After much consideration, looks like I'm gonna sell it. Probably list as a campervan for $65k, or I'll list it for $55k as a cargo van and strip everything except the floor liner, wall lining, roof rack, wheel liners, running boards, window deflectors, hood deflectors, and any other exterior items that are not worth the trouble of removing. What do you guys think?
Having just gone through this and looking at all the listing costs on places like vanlifetrader, I’d just pay the money to list it with their “boost” offering but price it at a ‘no brainer sale‘ kind of thing. Meaning you feel like it’s worth $65k, just list at $80k. It costs you nothing more to list it for that high and the listing is good for like 3 months. It might sell, it might not. But the thing here is if you already feel like you should sell it, you might as well just list it b/c you truly never know. It’s pretty impossible to time out and figure out what market works best for the van. I’ve seen empty vans list for 20-30K over msrp on these rv/van life sites and then i’ve seen ones much more reasonable. Where you live could factor in too.

So worst case you list it on one of those sites, it doesn’t sell and you’re out the fee. You just re-list it, drop the price if no one is biting and see what happens. There’s really no harm in listing it b/c at the end of it you get to choose if you wanna sell it or not.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Facebook marketplace is more scams than real ads, I stopped trying to use it to find something a long time ago. For authenticity, NextDoor is #1 on the list (so far, it's getting hit with scammer posts now), then Craigslist.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I hate Facebook, but where I am located Marketplace is by far the best way to sell stuff.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It would be nice to see an ad in the classifieds here since many took the time to respond to your thread about "should I sell or not." Perhaps in conjunction with (not instead of) the facebook ad for a win/win?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts