Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
However annual insurance and registration fees for me are about $1,200 a year(I max out everything) plus oil changes/maintenance based on time not mileage.

I do have concerne that if in 3 to 4 years I wanna have a campervan, that it might be challenging to get a low mileage van again to build out at a price I can afford.

all in, I’m probably about $55K on this one. Not including the time I put into the build.
The consideration is the future price vs what you are able to sell your for since if there is a lot of profit to be had now plus a savings on carrying costs for several ears, those $$ can be put towards the replacement.

The current situation where used vehicles have gone up in value by 35% in one year :eek: (and new by 12%) is unprecedented Consumer Price Index News Release - 2022 M03 Results No one knows if this trend will hold/increase/correct in general in "a couple of years" and more specifically ICE cargo vans or converted cargo vans. But if a was a betting man ...

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Sell it and buy a brand new one when you're ready. That's what I'd do in your circumstances. Oh, and put the money to work in the market, especially if we get a big dip this fall.

Cheers.
I am not sure that I would put money that I needed in a couple of years in the market.
increasing-your-chances-of-positive-portfolio-returns-the-facts-about-long-term-investing
Of course need and camper van??? I suppose if this timing is poor and you are in a position to delay the camper then ...
However, if the market was to really tank, then there might be a surplus of used camper vans on the market, hence lower prices. So ... :)

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Oh, my crystal ball says there will not be an actual model change (electronic gadgetry aside) until at least 2025. Ford tends to run in 5+ year cycles for these.
2020 was not actually a much of a model change. Some drivetrain changes and different electrical architecture.
My speculation is that the next chassis will be dedicate BEV and the current chassis will continue on as ICE version as long as there is a market/ regulations allow. . When that will be, I have no clue. No clue if or for how the Transit "Classic" would continue as a second BEV van. I suppose it depends on the configuration and market that they plan the BEV for. Contractors vs delivery fleets?

Think 3rd/4th gen E series, essentially the same chassis for 36 years and still being produced as a cutaway. Who knows that could very well continue to the same drop dead date as the Transit.

One thing for sure is any camper van capabilities will be serendipitous for the most part. Ad oh yea, and you can keep dreaming about your cab over. Never gonna happen. Now where's my Hi Ace?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Thank you to all for your thoughtful comments, and for the suggestion to list it on vanlifetrader.
While I wait on the potential buyer that I've mentioned, I did a thing: Converted 2018 Ford Transit 250 High Roof, 3.7 V6, Gas, RWD 4.10, 18,XXX miles - VanlifeTrader
Or is that $65K with a $10K #vanlife #adm #premium. ;)
One suggestion given your Buffalo location. If it has not seen road salt, that might be good to point that out. If not and the undercarriage still looks good, a few photos of the undercarriage might help.
Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Unfortunately, vanlifetrader and the classified on this forum limits the number of photos to 10. If you see my post on earlier in this thread (Sell or hold? Converted 2018 148” HR 19k miles), I provide photos of the undercarriage. Only typical surface rust on unpainted metal - look underneath any ford truck that has seen rain.
Can you add a link on Van Life to photos stored somewhere else like a Google Photos directory? Obviously not on the forum where you previously listed it for less $$. Or adjust the price here and link to your post here?

BTW- That makes me think that also having the old price still listed here might be sticky. Say someone on the current listing sees it here for less. Even if you are willing to go down to that price it still might come across as flakey and hurt your credibility slowing down or loosing a sale. Maybe go back and edit posting to eliminate price and just point it to the VanLife. If I saw the same listing in two places for different prices it would be a red flag to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts