Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Transit is the first vehicle I have owned where there is not enough room to jack the vehicle up and then place it on jackstands for any work you must do. Jacks are never relaible enough to work under, so I have been looking for a solution for brake and other work that will be coming up.

I found the Powerbuilt Unijack, which is a bottle jack combined with a jack stand. Basically, you jack the vehicle up with the bottle jack part and then engage the mechanical safety on the jackstand part.

Here is what it looks like:

Here is the Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-620471-6000Lb-Unijack/dp/B00GJJZ5NI/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=jack+stand+lift&qid=1556896185&s=automotive&sr=1-10#customerReviews

Here is the manufacturers page: https://www.powerbuilt.com/collections/jacks-and-lift-equipment/products/6000-lb-unijack-bottle-jack-jackstand-in-one#VbSEUQLlGmVMfL5L.97

The manufacturer has a 15% off coupon offer if you sign up for their newsletter.

Thinking of picking up two

Anybody use these on their Transit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There might be circumstances when the large footprint of that set-up might cause you some grief.

Stuck in sand with obnoxious shock mounts digging evil claws into the ground (and my back).

Attachments

Reactions: kc8flb

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There might be circumstances when the large footprint of that set-up might cause you some grief.

Stuck in sand with obnoxious shock mounts digging evil claws into the ground (and my back).
That looks painful

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Transit is the first vehicle I have owned where there is not enough room to jack the vehicle up and then place it on jackstands for any work you must do. Jacks are never relaible enough to work under, so I have been looking for a solution for brake and other work that will be coming up.

I found the Powerbuilt Unijack, which is a bottle jack combined with a jack stand. Basically, you jack the vehicle up with the bottle jack part and then engage the mechanical safety on the jackstand part.

Here is what it looks like:

Here is the Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-620471-6000Lb-Unijack/dp/B00GJJZ5NI/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=jack+stand+lift&qid=1556896185&s=automotive&sr=1-10#customerReviews

Here is the manufacturers page: https://www.powerbuilt.com/collections/jacks-and-lift-equipment/products/6000-lb-unijack-bottle-jack-jackstand-in-one#VbSEUQLlGmVMfL5L.97

The manufacturer has a 15% off coupon offer if you sign up for their newsletter.

Thinking of picking up two

Anybody use these on their Transit?

Thanks!
I had the same issue and bought the same jack, though at a different store/brand. I shopped all over town until I realized that Home Depot has it. Got mine at Pep Boys. But, yeah, what a lame design.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same issue and bought the same jack, though at a different store/brand. I shopped all over town until I realized that Home Depot has it. Got mine at Pep Boys. But, yeah, what a lame design.
Lame in what way? The physical size/placement issue, or some other way?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I use the hi-lift with lift mate to jack the van and place jack stands. Much easier than my floor jack.
I'm curious about where you attach this to the van. Description or photos would be helpful. Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, found it. Now I just need to figure out where I might store the jack. (have owned it for decades and have been looking for an excuse to disassemble it and paint it)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Lame in what way? The physical size/placement issue, or some other way?
Ford’s design is lame. They should make bigger or multiple jack points so you can jack up the van with a standard bottle or floor jack, put a standard stand under it and remove the jack. You shouldn’t have to buy a special jack/stand combo. Stupid. I’m also stupid for calling all over town and then realizing that Home Depot had it in stock 5 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two things I uncovered this past week while researching. there are two versions of this "unijack" one says 3 ton all-in-one on it and they are pretty cheap ~$40 on amazon/ebay. There is a revised version with new stickers that says (6000lbs) on it (the photo above) and various reviewers said that it appears to be of better quality with more saddle height pin hole adjustments and a revised bracket that connects the bottle jack to the jack stand that allows for more flexibility for construction work. It also comes with a better quality jack handle.

I found them at menards for $49.99 and they have a $5.50 rebate right now bringing the price down to $44.49 for the revised one

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/automotive/automotive-tools-shop-equipment/powerbuilt-3-ton-unijack-lift/620471/p-1444423513941-c-9113.htm?tid=7528218162345770962&ipos=1

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm curious about where you attach this to the van. Description or photos would be helpful. Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, found it. Now I just need to figure out where I might store the jack. (have owned it for decades and have been looking for an excuse to disassemble it and paint it)

I have the same set up (w/ lift mate). Want to store the jack outside of the van, if possible. Thinking about bolting it to my roof racks, but don't want to have to climb up and down a ladder w/ it. I see why Jeeps have them mounted to the bumper or the hood somewhere.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have the same set up (w/ lift mate). Want to store the jack outside of the van, if possible. Thinking about bolting it to my roof racks, but don't want to have to climb up and down a ladder w/ it. I see why Jeeps have them mounted to the bumper or the hood somewhere.
I'd like to avoid keeping it outside and plan to explore storing it inside the bench/bed storage, or, upright in a back corner as long as it doesn't interfere with bicycle storage. Storing it outside takes away from preserving an aspect of stealth.

I figure that many Jeeps have them mounted outside just to show off another unused accessory, as so often they never leave the pavement anyway. >:D Which is a valid consideration for me, as I'm not likely to take the van too far off the beaten path, not having Posi-track or 4WD. Just the occasional fire road to a trail head or camping on public land is about as extreme as I expect to see.

Having owned many 4x4 vehicles and spent hours and hours extracting each of them in unique and creative ways I have no desire to try that with a vehicle that has little in the way of handy places to hook a tow strap. But, if I can take the jack and a small shovel along without impacting my storage space too much they are the sort of things that fall into the category of being better to have and not need than to need and not have. ;)

Probably ought to throw a hitch in there with a D-ring Shackle as well. Oh, and a Nylon tug strap, and a Come-along, and fifty feet of cable, and, and ... accessorizing can quickly get out of hand. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ford’s design is lame. They should make bigger or multiple jack points so you can jack up the van with a standard bottle or floor jack, put a standard stand under it and remove the jack. You shouldn’t have to buy a special jack/stand combo.
Since I haven't taken possession of my van yet, do I understand there's a lack of jack points underneath? I'm less concerned about having to buy a special jack/stand combo, and more concerned about whether such a combo is actually usable.

I do recall seeing jack adapters that are designed to straddle a pinch weld without causing damage - would this help?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The manual indicates there are 4 designated lift points. Lifting in other places may bend stuff. Good to point this out to mechanics, tire shops, etc. to avoid any potential for damage. Some folks have painted the lift points to make them more obvious.

Jacking at a designated lift point leaves no place to set a jack stand at that spot, other than under suspension components which should be rated for the loads, hopefully. ha ha

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, thanks, this is not something that would have crossed my mind! I like the paint/labeling, that really makes it simple.

For me, that pretty much eliminates the usefulness of the jackstand/bottle jack combo. I mean maybe it would help in the driveway, but likely useless off-road.

It also explains the value of the slightly funky lift-mate/tire strap combo. Since I haven't seen that on the dealer's showroom, where does one find that setup?

Oh, it's a stock lift-mate item, never saw that before: https://hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate/

·
Registered
177 Posts
Two things I uncovered this past week while researching. there are two versions of this "unijack" one says 3 ton all-in-one on it and they are pretty cheap ~$40 on amazon/ebay. There is a revised version with new stickers that says (6000lbs) on it (the photo above) and various reviewers said that it appears to be of better quality with more saddle height pin hole adjustments and a revised bracket that connects the bottle jack to the jack stand that allows for more flexibility for construction work. It also comes with a better quality jack handle.

I found them at menards for $49.99 and they have a $5.50 rebate right now bringing the price down to $44.49 for the revised one

Powerbuilt 3-Ton UniJack Lift
Bringing this back as the search function wasn't working on the forum.

My question is about the fully compressed height of the Powerbuilt Unijack. Online it says anywhere from 11.5 in to 12 in depending what site you reference. The rear axle is exactly 11.5 in on my van and I dont want to buy this to find out its too tall to get under the rear jack point. Can you or anyone else who has this measure the compressed height of this stand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
If need be you can drive up on some type of shim to clearance the jack.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts