Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
when i was a kid in northern wisconsin we use to go watch the brown bears eat garbage in the city dump out in the woods 3 miles from town, (at least 700 feet away, downwind) we played in those same woods all summer long and never saw a bear! but i got chased by a badger once...

·
Registered
957 Posts
In the early 80's I was working (project sup.) on a long 2 year water works project at Glacier Park east entrance. A grizzly ate two folks camped on the creek adjacent to our project, which was the St. MARY's waste water treatment plant. Our inspector/engineer assigned by the Park Service to our project had chased them off the day before, but they had sneaked back. We didn't see that inspector for days and helicopters were flying all over the place. Beautiful place but it kind of put the damper on "going on day hikes".

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Alaska is a different story. Bears CAN be a problem there. That was the place where the new secretary of education during her vetting brought up a comment from a Congressman about "needing a gun in schools because of bears"; which sounded completely insane to all the NYC and SFO people who took it out of context AND have no experience with bears in Alaska.

Say; any stories about bears breaking into Transits? It seems like the windows are a little high. I only had one look in my Sprinter windows once while camping, I opened the slider and yelled at it and it ran off; I kind of hit it with the slider when opening it, too. Maybe I should have stored my food a little better so as to not attract bear attention!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Alaska is a different story. Bears CAN be a problem there. That was the place where the new secretary of education during her vetting brought up a comment from a Congressman about "needing a gun in schools because of bears"; which sounded completely insane to all the NYC and SFO people who took it out of context AND have no experience with bears in Alaska.

Say; any stories about bears breaking into Transits? It seems like the windows are a little high. I only had one look in my Sprinter windows once while camping, I opened the slider and yelled at it and it ran off; I kind of hit it with the slider when opening it, too. Maybe I should have stored my food a little better so as to not attract bear attention!
Actually, I think she was talking about Wyoming, but true...
And I DON'T think she was talking about a .50 handgun.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
That's a pretty cool tool! I'll have to pick one of those up!

·
Registered
838 Posts
To Reply to: EL34xyz,

No, It was not this video.

It's a video from Sessex Installations installing SLAMLOCKS.
I was not asking about the video
I asked, are the locks on the van the same ones that thieves are using that tool to open easily?

The locks in the video are the same ones on my US transit van
I was not sure if the same door locks were used everywhere else

It seems you can get one of those tools easily and so we don't stand a chance with the stock door locks

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
here is another one to think about: there are only about 70 ways you can cut a car key, so there are probably thousands of people that have the same key cut as you! (i saw the GM master key set once)

·
Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
365 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was not asking about the video
I asked, are the locks on the van the same ones that thieves are using that tool to open easily?

The locks in the video are the same ones on my US transit van
I was not sure if the same door locks were used everywhere else
No, they aren't the same locks as the 2014+ Transit, at least not the US market vehicles. That tool is for the Tibbe locks (a disc detainer style lock cylinder that was used on a the European Transits.)
The current generation of Transit (at least the US Transits I've seen) uses a HU101 key, which requires a different decoder.

If you are that concerned with someone stealing from your van, then install at least a mid grade puck locks, like American Lock or better.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
here is another one to think about: there are only about 70 ways you can cut a car key, so there are probably thousands of people that have the same key cut as you! (i saw the GM master key set once)
My parent's new '70 Impala was sent home with the GM master keys instead of it's individual key set. Dad discovered this by using the wrong key to open and start the '68 Suburban, and then checked on the grandparent's Impala and C10. He called the dealership and they were VERY eager to get the keys back.

1990's and up Hondas are the most stolen car, and mainly because there are key sets circulating around and copied and re-copied. I recall it being said that a set of 20 Honda keys will open and start 90% of Hondas in the USA.

Electronic mass frequency emitters are also a problem. There was a way to hack a garage door opener to emit ALL 40 or so frequencies one after the other until a garage opened up. I think earlier remote doors had even fewer frequencies. That problem has been corrected, for now. BUT the same method has been applied to remote vehicle locking, and we might see even more of this technology since hacking tools are now easily bought, sold and traded or just shared via the internet.

If it absolutely has to be kept safe from theft, anything you want to keep should be put in something almost as stout as a safe, and that should be bolted to the van floors and wall. A small drawer safe fits easily under the passenger seat, just put the jack somewhere else.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you could depend on the radio device to open the doors 100% of the time, you could probably jam something into the door locks to prevent anything from going in.
Hide a spare battery somewhere in case the battery goes dead

A spare key hidden under the vehicle is what I need to do
I have had to use the hidden keys on other vehicles of mine many times over the years

A few times I would have been stranded in the boonies without those hidden keys

·
Registered
957 Posts
My wife's VW Tiguan has no visual keylocks however there is one hidden under a removable escutcheon of the handle assembly. I wonder if those vehicles modified to have isolated house batteries (with a hidden shunt switch) would be sufficient to disable the keylocks.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
My parent's new '70 Impala was sent home with the GM master keys instead of it's individual key set. Dad discovered this by using the wrong key to open and start the '68 Suburban, and then checked on the grandparent's Impala and C10. He called the dealership and they were VERY eager to get the keys back.
the ones that i saw were a locksmiths master set of some 60 odd gm keys, not a single master key! this gave me an idea a few years later to create a master brand padlock master set, i saved every old key i came across and inside of 5 years i had a master set (28 keys) that opened every standard size Master padlock. i was an electrical subcontractor at large entertainment venues and needed access to substations and utility rooms, i had permission to be there, the master key set just made it quicker to reset breakers then going to find grounds maintenance to let me in!

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
One of my Tacoma's had the door lock punched out. They didn't get into the truck, but cost me a bit of money replacing the lock. Must have been an idiot or newbie, because Tacoma's are really easy to get in with a wedge and a slimjim. I had to do it numerous times when I locked the keys inside. An older one I had living in Colorado only had one set of keys (locked inside while parked in my driveway). This older model had wing windows, and I tried to use a long stick from the passenger side to open the driver door handle (locks were flush). I succeeded in breaking the window prying on it, but that allowed me to reach in and open the door. I called down to Denver to get a replacement wing window, and it was the staggering price of $29! The next time I locked my keys inside I just grabbed a hammer and broke the wing window. Cheaper than a locksmith.

I guess one saftery measure would be to "shave" the doors like custom cars (remove the handle and lock) and have the door pop open via remote.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts