Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Security on Transit Passenger Van for Filmmaking

3597 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  spotco2
Hi everyone,

The filmmaking studio that I'm a part of just purchased a 2016 Transit Passenger 350XLT Medium Roof van for our film production which we're excited to start using.

Our plan is to use only 5 seats total (driver, passenger, and 1st row- remove rest) and dedicate the rest of the van to housing our equipment which we'd like to keep in van at all times - so it needs to be very secure.

From what I understand, the best first steps to secure our vehicle from theft are the following (besides of course insurance / parking it somewhere safe etc etc):

-install slick locks on driver, passenger, sliding and rear doors
-install window mesh on all windows
-install a metal partition behind 2nd row of seats (similar style to that of cargo partition) - does anyone know if this is even possible?

My assumption is that if we don't have a metal partition, all the other security is useless because someone could bust the driver window and unlock whole vehicle.

Is there anything I'm missing?

We'd love to install some shelves/rack options in back similar to the cargo van. Assuming all this requires is to rip off the cloth roof part and then it's just bare metal? Anything I'm overlooking?

Thank you
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your van has airbags above the side windows, you will have to account for the airbags when you have your partition and shelves made.
Get an alarm system.
No business signs.
Thanks for the response. Good point about airbags. Can we have those removed for seating area we don't plan on using? Also, does the van not come stock with an alarm system? Thought that'd be standard.

We'll definitely need a business sign on this one which is why we're looking to increase security.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
does your van have this option?
Safety & Security

Backup alarm
Keys – 2 additional (4 total; manual keys with manual door locks; remote keyless entry key fobs
included if equipped with power door locks)

MyKey® (restrictions apply; requires SecuriLock®Passive Anti-Theft System; includes level 2
instrument cluster; n/a with speed-limiting options, radio delete, Radio Prep Package or Ford Customer
Service Division remote start)

Perimeter anti-theft alarm (requires SecuriLock Passive Anti-Theft System; n/a with manual
windows and door locks)

SecuriCode™ keyless entry keypad (n/a with manual windows and door locks)

SecuriLock Passive Anti-Theft System

· Registered
10,292 Posts
I "think" you can install a bulkhead at the C pillar that is intended to be installed at the B pillar.
Also, if you're going to have expensive stuff in there, don't have any windows in the "secure" area. Use a rear camera to make up for lack of rear windows. If you have to get a van with windows, consider blacking them out from the inside with paint or painted plywood.
Another thing is to get a couple of those Job Site tool boxes to lock your expensive stuff in, that way even when your van gets broken into despite the window screens and the slick locks that can be cut through with a cordless grinder in ten seconds, they can't get your good stuff without going through a lot more trouble. Even the Universal Lock Key (cordless grinder with metal cutoff wheel) would take several minutes to get into a jobsite box.

Reactions: mikeehlert

· Registered
2,243 Posts
We'll definitely need a business sign on this one which is why we're looking to increase security.
risherwood,

First time I read your post I thought someone was just trolling the forum. I still do. If you want to transport & store expensive equipment in your van and advertise it, you have purchased the wrong vehicle. Just MO.

Semper Fi

Reactions: surly Bill

· Registered
2,894 Posts
As has been noted, NO SIGN is best for preventing grief. At least, you may consider magnetic signs, which you could remove when you're off the job site.

Going the other way, some "stealth campers" that want to look commercial, but not valuable, consider magnetic signs for "medical waste transport", "embalming supplies", "diaper service", etc.

· Registered
378 Posts
Gut the back part of the van you will not be using. Have black vinyl applied to the INSIDE of the windows in the cargo area to black them out. If you put it on the outside it's very obvious. With it on the inside they just look very tinted. You can install a partition behind the second row of seats but you will likely need a sheet metal fab shop modify a store bought partition or just build you one and install it (it won't install like behind the front seats). Put a layer of plywood on the walls to cover those windows on the inside. Security mesh is made to keep things from flying out the windows in an accident. It's not really made to keep bad guys out. Add security cameras in the rear cargo area with a battery backup. Most security companies should be able to handle this pretty easily. The battery backup can be charged from the vehicle's alternator like most conversions do with a house battery. You might need some outside help with that from a RV shop or possibly a stereo shop.

You mentioned Slick Locks. That's almost a good idea. They can be removed from the outside with a grinder easily. They also advertise that something inside the van is worth protecting. You might want to consider adding electronic deadbolt locks instead. They mount inside the door cavity and the locking bolt goes into the body of the van around the doors. I have used them in the past on a couple of vans and they are amazing with no signs of anything added from the outside. This company is the primary supplier in the US http://www.cargolock.biz/locks/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.