Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
682 Posts
Yes, all the bolts you see are 8mm (except the original "centering" holes 6mm) run into nutserts that I installed. It has a total of 28 bolts holding in in, so its pretty solid! Seems scary but it is a shear load and lots of sandwich going on. all the parts are off the shelf from mcmaster and both ends are built the same way. i was going to have supports mid way but decided they weren't needed, time will tell.
Did a simple angle-aluminum with Rivnuts into the sheet metal on the previous Sprinter. 4-5 Rivnuts per side, IIRC - that was 2016. No down-mounts. Lots and lots of rough trail time. Still working today. Agree on the "shear" or however to describe it. A really solid piece of metal (like 3" angle aluminum) with a fairly small number of solid mounts works /really/ well. Pretty sure we are often over-doing this.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
What is the matter is your wife not giving you any? It takes down mounts for that.
2 Inch aluminum angle frame

·
Registered
2020 AWD CrewVan HR LWB EB
197 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Did a simple angle-aluminum with Rivnuts into the sheet metal on the previous Sprinter. 4-5 Rivnuts per side, IIRC - that was 2016. No down-mounts. Lots and lots of rough trail time. Still working today. Agree on the "shear" or however to describe it. A really solid piece of metal (like 3" angle aluminum) with a fairly small number of solid mounts works /really/ well. Pretty sure we are often over-doing this.
Oh this is way overbuilt, but i have my reasons!

·
Registered
2020 High Roof 350
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)

·
Registered
682 Posts
What is the matter is your wife not giving you any? It takes down mounts for that.
2 Inch aluminum angle frame
Well... the two of us together /do/ weigh less than the average American. But it might also have been the Sprinter walls were more suited to that setup. Part of the build - then and now - is/was as minimal as possible. If bolted wasn't strong enough, we'd have added down-supports. ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Back on the original, @beefinethan : the bed we did this time is to assure we can get all the bikes and everything else underneath - which was a variable problem last time (over the years) and we solved with a variable solution this time. The bed goes from 2' underneath it to 4' underneath it - which is enough to put a motorcycle in there when we want to. Or bikes, boards, crash-pads, and all the climbing and safety gear at the same time, as we did this current trip.

Or this high:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well... the two of us together /do/ weigh less than the average American. But it might also have been the Sprinter walls were more suited to that setup. Part of the build - then and now - is/was as minimal as possible. If bolted wasn't strong enough, we'd have added down-supports. ;)
Gotta consider those dynamic loads and not the static loads :)

·
Registered
2021 Ford Transit high roof extended
13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am in the process of completing a "floating" bed frame for a EW bed. It is supported at the C and D pillars alone spanning the space completely at i believe 35". There is a hole in each of these locations that is at the same height and square to the van floor. I used that as a locater and then built off of there. I used 2 6' pieces of solid 1.5" 8020 and a collection of plates and brackets from Mcmaster. This thing is solid as a rock. you have to shim the C pillar ends out to make rails parallel as back of van is the narrow bit, but for normal non moving bed issues, not necessary.

End results this bed is sold as a rock no flex, loaded over 600 pounds on it and maybe an 1/8th!

View attachment 152507

Sorry this is the best pic i have, I shoot videos all day for my instagram but not many pic pics. Thankfully i'm a lot further along than this pic from early March!

The Bed is built out of 3/4" Okume for the top and then ripped into strips for the stringers, it slides on some fancy 8020 automation slides, and folds on long heavy duty piano hinges.
I like the flexibility of your design. I want to keep mine flexible and hinged also, but I am going with the "flexible" part turned 90 degrees.
We will be using unistrut ( used to it in construction and have plenty at home already ) mounted vertically to walls and the bed will move up and down as required with a slider much like yours does horizontally ( to also adjust for bikes or whatever underneath ). I want the ability to have the bed be able to also fold up, like a "murphy" into the wall at wheel well thickness when I load big items and also lower be a "couch" like a futon when we are stuck inside. We only have a 130" wheelbase MR, so I want it to be very flexible.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Given the lack of a flat surface on the side of the van, I used flat steel bar with welded tabs to attach my 80/20. It worked great because the tabs give you adjustment to square off your construction. I think of it as the DIY version of the Adventure Wagon Kit.

I also used Hein's cargo lugs for the D-rings over the wheel well which allowed me to continue to use the D-ring while still getting tan additional support point.

Super strong, I'm really happy with it. Relatively easy if you can do some simple welding.

In hindsight, I wish I had done the same higher on the wall and on the ceiling as well.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
311 Posts
I shoot videos all day for my instagram
Would you mind sharing your Instagram? I don't see it in your profile, and there are a ton of search results for "greevan." Thanks!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts