Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes anodized black. I’m getting it from Rocky Mountain motion control in Abbotsford Canada, they are close enough I can drive to them and pick it up so I save a few hundred on shipping. Just takes a long time to arrive apparently. They also won’t accept products with imperfections from their distributors which is nice because the black anodized commonly gets scuffed and scratched during transports.
That's good to know. I'm also looking into the black anodized 8020 because some of the inside of the kitchen cabinets and upper cabinets will be exposed 8020. I think black would look better. The garage space in the back will look much better black anodized since all of the 8020 will be exposed there.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Transit AWD High Roof EcoBoost
31 Posts
The tent and the 3 200W panels will fit on top of the rack. I'm kind of designing the rack dimensions around it. The Top 8020 bars of the rack will fit over the MaxxAir fan, so the top bars of the rack will be ~6" above the roof. Imagine a Remora or AVG roof rack, just taller and a tad longer with a larger wind deflector.
Do you have a sketch with dimensions, I guess I'm mentally stuck on one large single 400W vs multiple smaller ones - seems like your approach would work; just a bit snug.

We plan on doing that! I'm monitoring wait times for items and trying to plan accordingly. What are you still waiting on and where did you order it?
While directed towards another user, here's some data to noodle over. We started ordering items in January, most have trickled in the last few weeks (late March/early April):
  • Havelock Wool (shipping is not the delay here, production is - they really are 6 to 8 weeks minimum)
  • MaxxFan (clear tinted version from the UK, doesn't seem to be stocked in NA - wow, up another $150 USD in price since we ordered)
  • Vangear Made (window/door insulated shades - we're not industrial sewing folk, seems to be one of the more professional operations in this space)
  • BTF Lighting (LED strips from China, not shocking with international shipping fairly broken during a pandemic)
  • Scopema Seat Swivels (still hasn't arrived, expected mid summer at the earliest)
Quick lead time items have been (<2 weeks):

Reactions: guyv

·
Registered
2021 Cargo 130" MR AWD Ecoboost
56 Posts
Is there an issue with DC-DC charging with the dual alternator setup? I'm not looking for DC-DC charging to be our main source of charging our lithium batteries, more of an added bonus as well as a backup.
Just that it is difficult to get a DC-DC charger to take advantage of the available 175A. Even with multiple ones, they actually stop when too hot then resume. So as long as I am also going to have the Victron 3000AH inverter/charger, I’ll just feed the Victron from an inverter connected to the CCP2 access point. After going back and forth for months I came to the conclusion that DC-DC chargers are for situations where you don’t have an available powerful charger because their specs are misleading since they spend much time in overheat disabled mode. Charging from the vehicle might be a backup charging option but it becomes crucial in overcast short day winter conditions and it seems to me that the dual alternators have no point if you don’t need the amps.

Also have you considered 24V batteries? (Too late I know). Elon Musk believe 12V is a historical inconvenient voltage. My own reason apart from the obvious reduction in wiring section is that the varying charging voltage can damage components such as the Maxxair fan, propane heater and so on and thus I will use cheap voltage regulators that will downconvert from 24V and also display voltage and amps. My fridge, electric blanket, many usb chargers, can take either 12V or 24V so no need for a converter for those assuming the electronics is resilient enough for charging conditions.

Finally I would suggest you look at the C-Head toilet that is the easiest to empty. That way you’ll make your decision knowing you looked at all three major options. Great idea to remove the toilet when taking a shower.

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Do you have a sketch with dimensions, I guess I'm mentally stuck on one large single 400W vs multiple smaller ones - seems like your approach would work; just a bit snug.

While directed towards another user, here's some data to noodle over. We started ordering items in January, most have trickled in the last few weeks (late March/early April):
  • Havelock Wool (shipping is not the delay here, production is - they really are 6 to 8 weeks minimum)
  • MaxxFan (clear tinted version from the UK, doesn't seem to be stocked in NA - wow, up another $150 USD in price since we ordered)
  • Vangear Made (window/door insulated shades - we're not industrial sewing folk, seems to be one of the more professional operations in this space)
  • BTF Lighting (LED strips from China, not shocking with international shipping fairly broken during a pandemic)
  • Scopema Seat Swivels (still hasn't arrived, expected mid summer at the earliest)
Quick lead time items have been (<2 weeks):
You're correct, it'll be snug, but should fit just fine. Remora's rack has a 65.3" interior width, and IIRC correctly, if I extend the rack as far AFT as possible my rough measurement with a tape measure was ~136". Other racks I've seen leave space in the front and rear of the roof which I plan to take advantage of. If there is something I'm missing, please advise.

Sounds great, SeaWeed. Would you be willing to share any interior layout plans or sketches you have made?
I'm using sketchup and am currently working on the 8020 framing right now. So far here's what we're looking at:

Initial measurements, we will have room for:
  • 24" x 36" shower
  • Small bench between shower and bed / garage partition
  • ~4' countertop on RH side of interior
  • Full-length overhead cabinet on RH side of interior
  • ~28" of garage space height above the drawer framing shown above, with the bed being on top of this

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just that it is difficult to get a DC-DC charger to take advantage of the available 175A. Even with multiple ones, they actually stop when too hot then resume. So as long as I am also going to have the Victron 3000AH inverter/charger, I’ll just feed the Victron from an inverter connected to the CCP2 access point. After going back and forth for months I came to the conclusion that DC-DC chargers are for situations where you don’t have an available powerful charger because their specs are misleading since they spend much time in overheat disabled mode. Charging from the vehicle might be a backup charging option but it becomes crucial in overcast short day winter conditions and it seems to me that the dual alternators have no point if you don’t need the amps.

Also have you considered 24V batteries? (Too late I know). Elon Musk believe 12V is a historical inconvenient voltage. My own reason apart from the obvious reduction in wiring section is that the varying charging voltage can damage components such as the Maxxair fan, propane heater and so on and thus I will use cheap voltage regulators that will downconvert from 24V and also display voltage and amps.

Finally I would suggest you look at the C-Head toilet that is the easiest to empty. That way you’ll make your decision knowing you looked at all three major options. Great idea to remove the toilet when taking a shower.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll have to do some more research on this. Is it a possibility to upgrade the alternators to HD? What is this CCP2 access point? I've seen it thrown around a few times but I'll do more research.

Can you tell me more about your 24V setup?

Another member mentioned the C-Head and it's definitely under consideration. That's why I joined here, infinite eyes are better than just my own.

·
Registered
2021 AWD 148" HR 3.5L EcoBoost Avalanche Grey
91 Posts
Is it a possibility to upgrade the alternators to HD?
I ordered single alternator and am going to add my own 2nd alternator (this one) dedicated to charging my 400Ah of ReLiOn low-temp 12V battery bank. It generates 200 amps at idle, so split over my 4 batteries that's 50 amps a piece. The advantages of this setup are super fast charging and my house electrics are completely segregated from the van electrics. The disadvantage (besides price) is it could be a hassle when the van inevitably needs engine service. I'm working with TinyWatts solar on my kit.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The disadvantage (besides price) is it could be a hassle when the van inevitably needs engine service.
A less expensive option that will not make future servicing more difficult to service might be to go with the Ford dual alternator bracket and a Ford or other alternator as a dedicated house charging alternator as described here
Dual Alternators, Yes or No??
The Ford alternator should get you about 140-150A at idle. If you bump up the idle to 1200-1300 rpm you should get about 200A . You also might be able to find an alternator with the Ford mounting profile that gives you a higher output at idle like this one from Nations

Have you given any consideration to using an external regulator that has a profile for charging batteries directly (Wakespeed, Balmar) or you will be going with a B2B or inverter to charger set up?

·
Registered
2021 Cargo 130" MR AWD Ecoboost
56 Posts
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll have to do some more research on this. Is it a possibility to upgrade the alternators to HD? What is this CCP2 access point? I've seen it thrown around a few times but I'll do more research.

Can you tell me more about your 24V setup?
Well everything else is simple but electricity can take a lot of time to get a feel for, and learn the specifics of the Transit 2021 environment. I started reviewing the information at faroutride.com then you have to read the forum and the Ford BEMM document. It explains all about the CCP2 (we wish) which is the point to connect to at the driver seat to safely get power to your house system: Customer Connection Point 2 (you don’t want to use the CCP1). My system will be modeled on the faroutride example with the exception of three 24V BattleBorn batteries and using the extra inverter like Orton and Keitho (and others) on this forum.

My Transit, ordered on Dec16, arrived at the dealer on April 6 (and of course I am out of the country). So my 24V system is still very much a rough drawing. The main point to add is that you’d need to place your solar panels in series to be able to charge a 24V batteries and go higher voltage than seems necessary so that the batteries can still charge when the sun is low or faded.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Exciting times. I had every intention to get a natures head, but looked into and bought the Air Head as its a bit smaller and really almost the same design. Mine sits permanently in my 24x36 shower. There is no need to remove it for a shower. Put the shower head over the toilet so your facing the toilet. As much room for your feet as when your using the toilet. We put a waterproof cover over the toilet just to keep it dry, but there is more than enough room and I think its just unnecessary to think you need to remove the toilet and put it elsewhere to shower.

Good luck with the build, it can get overwhelming at times but try to enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had every intention to get a natures head, but looked into and bought the Air Head as its a bit smaller and really almost the same design.
I went with the AirHead too. I chose it over the Nature's Head because:

-when you remove the urine container with the AirHead you don't have to open the composting part
-the AirHead has a metal handle instead of webbing on the urine container
-the AirHead's urine container is opaque but with a little window, so when you carry it to dump it it's not so obviously pee
-the AirHead has handles to carry the composting part
-the seat just lifts off to get to the composting container since you don't have to line up a hinge and slide
-the size of the part that you have to carry to empty the compost on the AirHead is a lot smaller since it doesn't have a part that holds the urine container permanently attached

·
Registered
2021 Ford Transit AWD High Roof EcoBoost
31 Posts
I'm working with TinyWatts solar on my kit.
Love the custom "drop over wheel well" designs Tiny Watts offers, the $$$ roof option is sweet too. I don't understand why they put the breakers in such an inconvenient place, if one trips in the night - one has to go outside, open the rear doors to reset - seems less then ideal

Reactions: maia

·
Registered
91 Posts
Love the custom "drop over wheel well" designs Tiny Watts offers, the $$$ roof option is sweet too. I don't understand why they put the breakers in such an inconvenient place, if one trips in the night - one has to go outside, open the rear doors to reset - seems less then ideal
I think it's the most universal place to put them since that spot would be accessible no matter how you do your van layout. With my east-west bed over garage layout, I'd have to go out back to get to pretty much any location on the system anyway. Tripping a breaker is (hopefully) an infrequent occurrence, so nbd I think.

·
Registered
2020 148 HR AWD on order
146 Posts
Welcome @SeaWeed. We too are coming from a Tacoma, DCSB and had a rooftop tent though used a ground tent the last few years. Our 2020 148 non-extended AWD is currently getting built up by a local guy but not before we took 5 or 6 trips with homemade bed, cabinets, 12V fridge etc so we could figure out what we wanted. Aside from ground clearance, height and width the actual offroad traction and capability of the Transit is pretty amazing. I hope you didn’t order the extended towing mirrors as they are a hassle on narrow trails and don’t power fold. And as good as it is off road, I can’t imagine an extended, either for length or departure angles.

One other tip, the Ford BEMM is essential to understand the electrics, etc as there have been changes especially around the CCP’s (customer connection points) so be sure to make sure you have one that is at least dated 2020 if not 2021. Also, we are getting Air Head after looking at Nature’s Head, though haven’t actually used it yet. Van should be ready in a month 🤞

21 - 34 of 34 Posts