Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Seat Install with LTrack

11174 83
Hi all,

I recently got my van and I'm starting in on the build. First things first, I'm trying to install a bench seat for passengers.

I'm sure this has been posted a million times. I'm trying to do the install in the safest most professional manner possible.

Here's how I'm planning to do it. Looking for feedback.

Materials:
I'm using l-track that's 7075 aluminum (the stronger stuff)
I have all grade 8 bolts, screws, nuts, washers
I'm using 1/2" thick 6061T6 aluminum l-bracket as my underbody reinforcement

Here's some pictures that render what I'm planning.

The blue are the 6061 l-brackets that will run along side the transit crossmembers

The 6061 plates will be bolted, see grade 8 bolts in red. The l-track would mount through the floorboard to the l-brackets, see grade 8 screws in yellow

Here is what the installed chairs would look like, mounted on the l-track, allowing for easy removal.
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
btw - For corrosion protection my bearing plates were glued in place. (Probably was D0W 4200 or 5200?)
Checkswrecks, I bought some of the 5200 marine adhesive. Did you actually glue the plates in to place with the 5200 and it helped hold the plates in place so you could drill? Or did you just use the 5200 to seal the bolt holes?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Now I'm inspired to run L-track all the way to the back. When I got it, I just got the 100" piece and cut it in half. The shipping prices are nuts, but one place had the 100" for only $20-30 shipping so that's what I got. I'll check again for a local supplier.

Reactions: Checkswrecks

·
Registered
9,851 Posts

·
Registered
2016 148MR Cargo
748 Posts
Underside of L-track. Ain’t goin nowhere.
View attachment 153054
HorizonDefeated -
Notice how Otter's drilled through the flanges of the cross braces. Those alone will hold the force of the seat and track in an impact and were what I was trying to convey earlier.

With respect to your question on use of 5200, I completely glued the stiffeners to the bottom, not just at the holes. Don't want any rain or salt from snow run-off getting between the stiffener and sheetmetal.

Where I drill holes I use a little bit of paint. The Lowes/HD stuff for touching up appliances dries hard, unlike Rustoleum and most cheaper paints. Let the first coat dry and dab on a second.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
HorizonDefeated -
Notice how Otter's drilled through the flanges of the cross braces. Those alone will hold the force of the seat and track in an impact and were what I was trying to convey earlier.

With respect to your question on use of 5200, I completely glued the stiffeners to the bottom, not just at the holes. Don't want any rain or salt from snow run-off getting between the stiffener and sheetmetal.

Where I drill holes I use a little bit of paint. The Lowes/HD stuff for touching up appliances dries hard, unlike Rustoleum and most cheaper paints. Let the first coat dry and dab on a second.
Thanks Checks. I hadn’t understood that before.

·
Registered
114 Posts
timely for me to find this thread since I'm planning this now - thanks for all the great discussion. I really like the idea to weld C-Channel steel to the top of the floor. I could drill and install rivnuts in the C-Channel. Would be really great to avoid holes in the floor. For reference, I'm planning to run 92" L-Track so the seat can be positioned fore/aft - such a long track also distributes the load across the whole floor - might not work as well for short piece of track.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If anyone wants to really geek out - the typical legal requirement in the US is FMVS 210

This test specifies a 3000lb forward pull on the shoulder seatbelt at the same time as a 3000lb pull on the lap belt. I have personally witnessed a test like this during an automotive development program. Its a pretty burly load and would apply a LOT of vertical load on the fasteners in the L-Track near the back of the seat frame.

I will be doing some math on this, and I haven't yet. I really don't want any risk to my kids sitting in this seat if we were to crash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Otter, did you have to do anything special to get the sienna seats to click to the ltrack? Or do they just do that from the factory?
The seat base is a custom piece made by ExpoVans (no longer available) that accepts the QStraint system - it’s from the disability folks who make a ton of stuff for wheelchairs, etc. It was a pretty expensive deal but it does allow me to move the seats at will. Here’s a photo of the sytem that clicks in underneath.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
If anyone wants to really geek out - the typical legal requirement in the US is FMVS 210

This test specifies a 3000lb forward pull on the shoulder seatbelt at the same time as a 3000lb pull on the lap belt. I have personally witnessed a test like this during an automotive development program. Its a pretty burly load and would apply a LOT of vertical load on the fasteners in the L-Track near the back of the seat frame.

I will be doing some math on this, and I haven't yet. I really don't want any risk to my kids sitting in this seat if we were to crash.
I’d love to hear you math findings if you work it out.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts