Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Still doesn't work. I am pretty frustrated with all the little "we know better than you how to keep you safe" things there are in this van. It's supposed to be a cargo van, not a soccer mom family hauler!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's really weird hatchet. I guess next time your by your local Ford dealer you could ask them about it. I know some dealers will disable it for you. Wish I could be of better help bud.

Reactions: hatchet

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you look under the driver's seat there is a plastic box attached to the underside. From there there is an electric line that goes from a plug to the driver's side seat belt receiver on the side. I wonder if this would disable the sound or if it would simply ignore whether or not you were buckled and still make the sound? Let me know if that does anything for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On my wife's Subaru I was told that the seat belt reminder could not be shut off without messing up other electronic goodies--that's when I ordered a seat belt extender. All I needed was the clip-in part so I cut off the tail and have a handy solution to the nagging ding when I drive in situations that do not require a seat belt.

I've done the same with my Transit Connect cargo van--it's cheap, it's easy, and it works.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can you tell me which part or manufacturer (or site) you bought your seat belt extender that is compatible with the Ford Transit seatbelt male part? I want to install a new extender on the pedestal that will be flexible and allow my swivel to turn, yet still be high enough to easily clip into when on the road after bending back up.
Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
34 Posts
seat belt chime fix

All you got to do is go to any Ford dealer and ask for a seat belt extender. They will give you one free. Just snap the extender in and you dont have to use your seat belt if you dont want to. No chime!

·
Registered
237 Posts
that is not a fix. I want to wear my seat belt. I do not want to hear an alarm telling me what I already know.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
that is not a fix. I want to wear my seat belt. I do not want to hear an alarm telling me what I already know.

hatchet,

Page 30 in OM.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
237 Posts
yea did it. didnt work. took it to local ford dealer, they did it, didnt work. reloaded the software on van's computer, didnt work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Extender

Hatchet, You can still use the seat belt with the extender! Just adds around 6 inches to the clip. Keep it clipped in the receiver. No chime, but you still hook the seat belt into it to use. Whats the problem??

·
Registered
371 Posts
Found out how to disable the belts for those who want to do it. This is right out of the owners manual.

Switching the Belt-Minder on and off
WARNING
While the system allows you to switch it off, this system is designed to improve your chances of being safely belted and surviving a crash. We recommend you leave the system switched on. To reduce the risk of injury, do not switch the system on or off while driving your vehicle.
Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the programming procedure.
The system can be switched on and off by carrying out the following procedure:
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
The parking brake is set.
The transmission selector lever is in position park (P).
The ignition is switched off.
The driver safety belt is unbuckled.
Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine.
Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off (about one minute). After Step 2, wait an additional five seconds before proceeding with Step 3. Once Step 3 is started, the procedure must be completed within 30 seconds.
Buckle then unbuckle the driver safety belt three times at a moderate speed, ending in the unbuckled state. After Step 3, the safety belt warning light will illuminate.
While the safety belt warning light is illuminated, buckle then unbuckle the driver safety belt. After Step 4, the safety belt warning light will flash for confirmation.
This will disable the feature if it is currently enabled.
This will enable the feature if it is currently disabled.
Thanks for posting this.

I definitely drive with my seatbelts on but when I use my PWCs I usually just hop in the van for a short bit to launch/retrieve them and then go park a short distance later. Sometimes It's a pain to put the belt on for a 2-3 minute "drive".

I had done the disable procedure on my Expedition for the same reason.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yeah I am with Hatchet on this one - no joy. I followed the directions carefully and the light responded as the directions say, just no change in the dinger.

Anyone else have this problem? Mine is a '15 148 cargo. I was really excited to not listen to the chime anymore. Now, just pissed lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The initial chime that happens when you turn the car on didn't turn off for me but the long term minder is gone.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thanks for my sanity Rondo. I think that is the deal, it still chimes a few times initially when you turn the key but then remains silent. I have got to test it again but driving today I undid the belt and there was no chime.

Thanks again. I bet Hatchet has got the same thing going on.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
***Preface to this post is: I always wear my seatbelt and in no way does disabling a chime associated with seat belt usage frequency. I prefer not to hear it in various scenarios where one may be in the seat with the key in the ignition but not be moving or need to be wearing a seatbelt. ****

i want to update everyone - really easy way to disable this chime:

Driver Seat:
1 - undo the four bolts on the seat rails, tilt seat back
2- take the black box off the metal clip. PAIN IN THE BUTT
3 - look at the brown plug - jump two pins to short the circuit. I used a piece of solder but a paperclip would be best. or cut the wires and connect them.
4 - tape it secure and reinstall on the metal clip.

done! Except for the clip, it's super easy. Bend the clip down a bit to get some access.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Preface to this post is: I always wear my seatbelt and in no way does disabling a chime associated with seat belt usage frequency. I prefer not to hear it in various scenarios where one may be in the seat with the key in the ignition but not be moving or need to be wearing a seatbelt. *

i want to update everyone - really easy way to disable this chime:

Driver Seat:
1 - undo the four bolts on the seat rails, tilt seat back
2- take the black box off the metal clip. PAIN IN THE BUTT
3 - look at the brown plug - jump two pins to short the circuit. I used a piece of solder but a paperclip would be best. or cut the wires and connect them.
4 - tape it secure and reinstall on the metal clip.

done! Except for the clip, it's super easy. Bend the clip down a bit to get some access.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Found out how to disable the belts for those who want to do it. This is right out of the owners manual.

Switching the Belt-Minder on and off
WARNING
While the system allows you to switch it off, this system is designed to improve your chances of being safely belted and surviving a crash. We recommend you leave the system switched on. To reduce the risk of injury, do not switch the system on or off while driving your vehicle.
Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the programming procedure.
The system can be switched on and off by carrying out the following procedure:
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
The parking brake is set.
The transmission selector lever is in position park (P).
The ignition is switched off.
The driver safety belt is unbuckled.
Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine.
Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off (about one minute). After Step 2, wait an additional five seconds before proceeding with Step 3. Once Step 3 is started, the procedure must be completed within 30 seconds.
Buckle then unbuckle the driver safety belt three times at a moderate speed, ending in the unbuckled state. After Step 3, the safety belt warning light will illuminate.
While the safety belt warning light is illuminated, buckle then unbuckle the driver safety belt. After Step 4, the safety belt warning light will flash for confirmation.
This will disable the feature if it is currently enabled.
This will enable the feature if it is currently disabled.
Thank You!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts