Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Did the driver side today and it went much smoother than the passenger side. I have the lowered parking brake so there was no interference from that. The bolt holes lined up on the swivel and the install was relatively painless. Took out the factory bracing over the batteries, but I figure the lower plate of the swivel should do an even better job of keeping the batteries in place.

View attachment 134743

Just need to figure out a little ziptie trick or a slider to elevate the electric motor for both the passenger and driver side.
I' am trying this today on my 2020 with power seats and dual battery's, how did you thread the wire up through the center hole of the swivel
? When I try it's getting crushed under the swivel.

passneger side whent in prett easy , 2 1/2 hours with a little help from a hydrulic bottle jack to get the last hole lined up.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
339 Posts
Because this is one of the first steps in our build once our 2020 arrives, I’ve been following this thread and several of the other Scopema threads. Does anyone know what the underlying issue is? Are the Scopema parts manufactured with large errors in their hole locations? I can’t make sense of the issue. The seat rail holes fit the factory pedestal holes, and the seat rail holes fit the Scopema upper plate holes. For some reason, the Scopema lower plate holes do not fit the factory pedestal holes. Out of curiosity, do the seat rail holes fit the Scopema lower plate holes?

·
Registered
258 Posts
So I noticed that the seat rails have a little play in themand can move in side ways a 1/4 inch or so. so I think the seat pedistal from ford has lose tolerances on it and they adjust for it by moving the seat rails a little bit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Because this is one of the first steps in our build once our 2020 arrives, I’ve been following this thread and several of the other Scopema threads. Does anyone know what the underlying issue is? Are the Scopema parts manufactured with large errors in their hole locations? I can’t make sense of the issue. The seat rail holes fit the factory pedestal holes, and the seat rail holes fit the Scopema upper plate holes. For some reason, the Scopema lower plate holes do not fit the factory pedestal holes. Out of curiosity, do the seat rail holes fit the Scopema lower plate holes?
On my van, and others I have seen, it was the ford seat base that had the incorrect bolt pattern. The upper seat bottom is flexible enough that it can be pushed into the incorrect passenger side bolt locations (that is how it came from the factory). The solid steel base of the swivel is not flexible so the hole patterns don’t match up without drilling out the swivel base or modifying seat base.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
339 Posts
... I think the seat pedistal from ford has lose tolerances on it and they adjust for it by moving the seat rails a little bit.
On my van, and others I have seen, it was the ford seat base that had the incorrect bolt pattern. ...
Thanks! That answers my questions. I was worried that it was the Scopema hardware with the poor precision.

Between this and the misalignment with the roof rack holes, I'm beginning to doubt Ford's ability to maintain reasonable tolerances. It sounds like they have some pretty serious precision issues in their unibody construction. I'm aware that all manufacturing processes involve some variation, but modern, robotic assembly processes should be able to stay within 1/4 in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Between this and the misalignment with the roof rack holes, I'm beginning to doubt Ford's ability to maintain reasonable tolerances. It sounds like they have some pretty serious precision issues in their unibody construction. I'm aware that all manufacturing processes involve some variation, but modern, robotic assembly processes should be able to stay within 1/4 in.
Yeah I completely agree, not just unibody though. I found missing and cross threaded fasteners in multiple locations, also sections of the roof that were not fully "snapped" into place. The list could probably go on unfortunately.

You mean this happened to you too??? (just a bit of sarcasm)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks for the zip-tie motor lift idea Viajero.

If you run into the common bolt misalignment issue, I found a really easy way to get the bolts in without using a jack or anything drastic. Only took a few seconds. See page 2 of this build thread:

·
Registered
2020 350 HR CARGO AWD 148" 3.5 ECOBOOST
33 Posts
Just adding my $.02 here on a Scopema passenger side swivel install. I have a 2020 with power seats and large console/upfitter switches. I bought the swivel before the van arrived based on the excellent write up in another post on this forum; a leap of $$, but I didn't want to run into supply chain holdups. www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/swivel-installation-on-10-way-seats.79802/#post-1044263

Bottom line. It went pretty smooth aside from several trips to HW store. I did (have to) use the 'jack method' described in that post to line up that last rear outboard hole from seat pedestal to swivel base, it was soooo close. The transverse motor for the power seat was bottomed out on the swivel base, with fore/aft movement was hanging up a bit I'd just gotten that whole seat frame replaced because I found the motor support ( cheap plastic) was broken when the vehicle came to me. So to be sure I'd have clearance (and no more problems) I put in a strip of 3/8 plywood between each seat frame rail and swivel base for support and an oversized nut and a washer as spacers at the bolt thru holes; I did obviously have to get 4 longer bolts. The outboard plastic skirt was trimmed only about 1/2 in or so and the seat clears in the max high position except for a slight catch on the front locator pins, barely noticeable. The seat rail also barely skims/dings the kiddie seat hook, but hardly worth any effort. Full forward seat motion will pinch the wire harness routed up thru the swivel center but that position means that your legs pretty much pinned into the dash; unlikely. So seat fully raised, a bit forward and seat back up and it swivels around nicely. Very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just adding my $.02 here on a Scopema passenger side swivel install. I have a 2020 with power seats and large console/upfitter switches. I bought the swivel before the van arrived based on the excellent write up in another post on this forum; a leap of $$, but I didn't want to run into supply chain holdups. www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/swivel-installation-on-10-way-seats.79802/#post-1044263

Bottom line. It went pretty smooth aside from several trips to HW store. I did (have to) use the 'jack method' described in that post to line up that last rear outboard hole from seat pedestal to swivel base, it was soooo close. The transverse motor for the power seat was bottomed out on the swivel base, with fore/aft movement was hanging up a bit I'd just gotten that whole seat frame replaced because I found the motor support ( cheap plastic) was broken when the vehicle came to me. So to be sure I'd have clearance (and no more problems) I put in a strip of 3/8 plywood between each seat frame rail and swivel base for support and an oversized nut and a washer as spacers at the bolt thru holes; I did obviously have to get 4 longer bolts. The outboard plastic skirt was trimmed only about 1/2 in or so and the seat clears in the max high position except for a slight catch on the front locator pins, barely noticeable. The seat rail also barely skims/dings the kiddie seat hook, but hardly worth any effort. Full forward seat motion will pinch the wire harness routed up thru the swivel center but that position means that your legs pretty much pinned into the dash; unlikely. So seat fully raised, a bit forward and seat back up and it swivels around nicely. Very happy with the outcome.
Appreciate the write up. Any pics?

·
Registered
2020 350 HR CARGO AWD 148" 3.5 ECOBOOST
33 Posts
Appreciate the write up. Any pics?
Motor at bottom right actually dips below the cross member support by a bit so clearance is a little less than it looks. I could have futzed with the spacing, 1/4 in plywood or less may have been enough, I just had some 3/8 around and it worked nicely. The metal spacers are a tiny bit lower so the plywood is well compressed when those are cranked down. Doesn't seem to have distorted the frame rails that I can notice. With the pinch on the wire harness and less that has to be trimmed off of the skirt I'm happy.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Seat is still super stable. I probably will end up bending the kiddie seat hook down a little bit. I used an Sonicrafter oscillating tool and metal blade to trim the plastic, and nibbled a few hanging spots with wire cutters. I will do a little black paint on the ply.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
- made 1/2" aluminum spacers to provide sufficient clearance for the wiring harness and motor carrier
-bent the child seat tether point down a bit.
-cut the seat base jusd to the point of the clip where it (is supposed to) attach to the metal rod.
- drilled out holes on bottom plate of Scopema (was unable to force the alignment even if possible, would not want to fight the process for future access to seat bases for battery access under drivers seat and future use f space under passengers seat)

Installation of Scopema Ford Transit Swivel; Driver and...

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
177 Posts
- made 1/2" aluminum spacers to provide sufficient clearance for the wiring harness and motor carrier
-bent the child seat tether point down a bit.
-cut the seat base jusd to the point of the clip where it (is supposed to) attach to the metal rod.
- drilled out holes on bottom plate of Scopema (was unable to force the alignment even if possible, would not want to fight the process for future access to seat bases for battery access under drivers seat and future use f space under passengers seat)

Installation of Scopema Ford Transit Swivel; Driver and...
Any chance you have some pics of the final install? Curious how the spacer looks if you can even see it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Any chance you have some pics of the final install? Curious how the spacer looks if you can even see it.
Here are a bunch of photos. I tried to show what you see in various positions as well as the clearance created for the motor and harness when the seat is in the lowest position. There is also on to show the amount the child seat tether attachment point needs to be bent to clear the swivel. No need to cut it off.

Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Trunk Automotive design Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Grey Trunk Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Stairs Automotive exterior Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Hood Automotive tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle

·
Registered
177 Posts
Much appreciated, I think this will help me visualize what everyone has been saying about the install. I don't have hands on my swivel yet, so I've been trying to follow along.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Much appreciated, I think this will help me visualize what everyone has been saying about the install. I don't have hands on my swivel yet, so I've been trying to follow along.
It's not rocket science. The install "issues" should be obvious when you get into it. Like everything (at least for me) it will just take more time than you will anticipate. Be conscious about the flimsy plastic bracket that holds the seat motor when you are handling the seat. Not a big issue to handle as long as you are are aware of.

You might want to check out the Amazing Auto Swivels. They have been now FMVSS tested, are a lot less $$ than the Scopema and may not need the spacers. Favorably reviewed by several folks on the forum. Search around there are some good posts about them.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,500 Posts
I thought I had photos... but they don't include the bolting / spacing. We used a few washers as spacers. And had to get longer bolts than came with the Scopemas. I'll get a photo. Otherwise, same as everyone else. Driver's side a little more time-consuming, but essentially similar - just some extra work on the battery cover.

We also installed an Amazing Auto on a buddy's rig. If I were doing it again, I'd buy those. Similarly smooth. Not as much taller as they sounded like in theory. And a much larger hole, making the motor thing... well... different, at least. And half the price.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You might want to check out the Amazing Auto Swivels. They have been now FMVSS tested, are a lot less $$ than the Scopema and may not need the spacers. Favorably reviewed by several folks on the forum. Search around there are some good posts about them.
Unfortunately I already have a Scopema coming my way or else I probably would look at others given the fitment issues I've heard here.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I thought I had photos... but they don't include the bolting / spacing. We used a few washers as spacers. And had to get longer bolts than came with the Scopemas. I'll get a photo. Otherwise, same as everyone else. Driver's side a little more time-consuming, but essentially similar - just some extra work on the battery cover.

We also installed an Amazing Auto on a buddy's rig. If I were doing it again, I'd buy those. Similarly smooth. Not as much taller as they sounded like in theory. And a much larger hole, making the motor thing... well... different, at least. And half the price.
I chose to make the spacers out of bar stock because I wanted to fully support the seat rails. More specifically I wanted the load distributed along the entire length of the swivel, to minimize flexing of the swivel plates hence rocking of the assembly or rattling potential. Necessary or overkill. 🤷‍♂️ I hate when my customer calls me back to re-do my work. Everything takes 5X longer and I eliminate 10% possible problems. That math works ... right? That's just the way this OCD boy rocks. YMMV.

·
Registered
2021 AWD MR Crew 148
42 Posts
I feel your pain. My install was very similar with many expletives and way too many hours. I luckily had access to a hydraulic press and was able to push those stamped or riveted bolts out of the bracket. Still a huge mess and full disassembly of the driver seat, base, and batteries.

I like your idea of pulling the motor crossbar up rather than spacers. I will look at switching to that.
@Shade Did you switch to the zip tie method or keep your spacers? The problem I found with the zip ties is they tighten/loosen if you raise or lower the seat. Was curious how the sliders are working out after some time.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts