Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Transit 250 MR 130"
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After owning my 2020 Transit for a year now, it's become painfully obvious the driver seat is slowly killing my back.... its just.... terrible. 28,000 miles on the van in my first year of owning and I refuse to leave for my next 3K mile trip in two weeks on this same God Forsaken seat.

Sometimes while i'm driving and my back is screaming at me, I think of this "museum of torture" I once visited in while visiting Amsterdam, and how they need to make room for the Ford Transit seats on their next exhibit.

I've done some digging around, and even spoke with Toby at Scheel-Mann today, and it seems pretty unanimous the Vario is the way to go, if you can afford it. Hoping to hear from others who have made the investment, and what if at all difference it made in their long haul experiences.

At the beginning of the van build it seemed crazy to drop $2500+ on a seat when I still had to spend a fortune just to build the rest of the thing out, but now that the rest of van is done i'm starting to think it's foolish not to have the $2500 seat on an already 50K + van build.... So.... Someone please just tell me they're worth the coin and help solve some of the pain associated with long distance Transit travel???

Thanks in advance for your insight!

·
Registered
2020 Transit 250 MR 130"
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and just want to say i otherwise LOVE driving my Transit-- the cruise control, the lane assist, the blue tooth, everything about it is a joy to drive EXCEPT those agony inducing seats my GOD!

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
There are occasional complaints from others like you that the seats don't work well for, but not frequently.
Sorry to hear that the seat is so uncomfortable for you, we've been driving Transits for over 6 years with no problems.

Considering your issues and the amount of time you spend in the driver's seat, you probably won't regret the (costly) upgrade.

·
Registered
Transit-addict-in-the-making
111 Posts
The seats are a non-trivial price, to be sure, but you absolutely should save your back. How much more expensive (especially in US, given the costs of our healthcare...) would it be to fix your back? And, on a non-money side, the cost of dealing with discomfort/pain, and the associated lost opportunities?

The You-From-The-Future will thank the Current-You.

To me, the biggest challenge is the sheer amount of variety - I'd want to go sit in seats (and, ideally, installed in a configuration similar to that of the Transit's cockpit) to make sure that I am spending effort and money on the right thing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I installed the Scheel-Mann Seats in the passenger seat for my wife. After 9 back surgeries, and Fibromyalgia it is the only way she can ride the van for more than an hour. The seat is supportive and provides all the necessary adjustments to better fit her needs. My only complaint is that I got the manual version. The euro style adjustment knobs are very difficult for her to turn.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I dig these seats I really want them, seem to have glowing reviews. I was rear ended in stop and go traffic a few years ago and my neck has never been the same. Gf also has some back issues from dance. So hard to replace brand new seats with 10 way and heat... maybe once we go on our first cross country trip we will decide. Looking forward to hearing your review!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Will for sure post a review! On a side note, ksvan, where did you get that glorious grill?
From another forum member here actually, who ended up not needing it. But I believe they can be purchased from van parts warehouse last time I checked.

You will have to cut out the holes for the front sensor and camera in the raptor grill, but there is etched outline on the backside of the grill that you can follow to cut out the right shapes. It was pretty easy with a drill and a dremel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
With the Ford Seats, driving from Canada to Florida, the pain at the end of the trip was terrible for my girlfriend and I. She said she she never travel again in the van.

I ordered the Scheel-Mann seats, and it went from Terrible Ford Seat to Zero pain. Worth every penny x 10.

If Ford offered these seats as an upgrade, they would sell so many more vans.

·
Registered
2020 Transit 250 MR 130"
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went with the XXL tall version seeing as i'm 6'1 and
The transit seat really hurt my back too until after about six months I learned to leave the seat back straight up with no recline, My back has been fine for the last five years of driving the transit.
Someone on this forum mentioned how the Transits are "bus driver" style seating where you're sitting more upright, and that definitely made a difference with how I sat in the van and my overall comfort, but the fact remains the "bone stock" seat has zero lumbar support or adjustment, and i can feel the side rails of the seat frame digging into my hip after a while.

Also maybe should have mentioned I had a bulging lower disc that, for some reason, whenever seated in the Transit, was just lighting right up. There was no escaping it and I even started going to PT (which helped and continues to be important to me) but this piece I think should be a big improvement on what is otherwise my dream van.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts