Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 148" wb white cargo medium roof van yesterday. We ordered the 10 passenger wagon for a family van 8 weeks ago and have been itching to see something in person. We looked at sprinters prior to ordering but now having seen the cargo van in person I am VERY excited we went with the transit. It looks great!!! My hubby is 6'4 and has very long legs. He had a lot of leg room but the steering wheel was low. Apparently it telescopes (which we didn't know at the time) so it will fit him perfectly. Plus, the one we ordered has the 10 way electric seat which will be even better. Also, I am 5'1 and the step in height is at my knees. It's much easier to get into than the sprinter which was a few inches higher. The slider door opening is HUGE but very light and very easy to open and close. It's much easier to open and close than my minivan. The space between the two front seats was easy for my hubby to get to the back cargo area. We also got the medium roof for our van and I'm glad we did. My husband can almost stand fully upright. I'm guessing the interior roof height is 6'2 since his neck was slightly cocked sideways when standing up. I know it will be a little lower when it's finished inside but I can't wait!!! Now I'm just wondering how long it will take to get my car!!!

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I saw a 148" wb white cargo medium roof van yesterday. We ordered the 10 passenger wagon for a family van 8 weeks ago and have been itching to see something in person. We looked at sprinters prior to ordering but now having seen the cargo van in person I am VERY excited we went with the transit. It looks great!!! My hubby is 6'4 and has very long legs. He had a lot of leg room but the steering wheel was low. Apparently it telescopes (which we didn't know at the time) so it will fit him perfectly. Plus, the one we ordered has the 10 way electric seat which will be even better. Also, I am 5'1 and the step in height is at my knees. It's much easier to get into than the sprinter which was a few inches higher. The slider door opening is HUGE but very light and very easy to open and close. It's much easier to open and close than my minivan. The space between the two front seats was easy for my hubby to get to the back cargo area. We also got the medium roof for our van and I'm glad we did. My husband can almost stand fully upright. I'm guessing the interior roof height is 6'2 since his neck was slightly cocked sideways when standing up. I know it will be a little lower when it's finished inside but I can't wait!!! Now I'm just wondering how long it will take to get my car!!!
Interior height on medium roof van is 70 1/2" from top of steel corrugated floor rib to bottom of roof rib at the center of the van. Less at sides. Measured empty weldment at LA auto show. 74" tall hubby will need very flexible neck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Went to look at a Transit this morning but the two they had must have just come in. They were in the bullpen. But they are real! So I drove down the road to look at Sprinters. They had at least a dozen. I'm sure they have their issues but they don't look too bad to me. The 2.2L diesel might make some serious mileage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many in your family? Car seats? Engine choice? Why the medium roof?
5 kids 5 and under all in full size car seats! We also take my parents places often and really needed seating for 7 with the option of having extra seats in for friends and family. This fits the ill perfectly. My husband is very tall and wanted the extra headroom and added storage space in the trunk. We take 2 double wide strollers everywhere and travel on road trips often so we needed more flexibility and a larger trunk. We also chose the higher roof because in our current minivan we have a 15" screen and can't see out of the rearview mirror. Now we won't have the problem :).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh we chose the Eco boost engine and have added every possible upgrade to the van. (Towing, privacy glass, remote start, etc...).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow. Sounds like a lot of my own needs and desires.

Ever look at the Nissan PV? I like this one for the seating options. What do you know about the Transit seating arrangements?

What color?!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We looked at the nissan but I didn't care for it. I didn't want to drive a van that big. (The 10 passenger is the same length as a suburban whereas the nissan is the length of a 15 passenger van). I also didn't like how long the front end was and the fact that it's very plain in regards to upgrades. Plus, with the low roof you don't have good vision out of the rear view mirror when car seats and people are seated. Also, I didn't like that the seats are stationary (with the transit the seats recline!!!). That is a big deal for us since we road trip every 3 months. The seats in the transit for the 8 passenger are two rows of 3 wide seats, the 10 passenger is a 2 seat next to each other, then a 3 row (2 side by side an aisle and then a 3rd seat) and then 3 wide seats in the 3rd row. Also, the seats are removable so we will have the entire back row out most of the time with a huge trunk! We ordered the dark gray color (it was an extra fee) but in person it's a great color!
I'm not sure about the remote start being late availability. I know we ordered our van the 2nd week of May and have heard nothing so far. I figure we won't see it until October/November which I'm fine with because I'm due with baby #5 Christmas.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wow. Sounds like a lot of my own needs and desires.

Ever look at the Nissan PV? I like this one for the seating options. What do you know about the Transit seating arrangements?

What color?!
saw the nissan and as far as design go for something that's selling in the american market, i have to say they did a good job, still prefer american design

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Drove two Transits today. Both were 148" medium roofs. One had the 3.7 non-turbo with 3.73 rear and the other was a 3.5 twin turbo with 3.31 rear.

As many of you know I own a 08 144" high roof Sprinter. I found the Transits to be more comfortable with a better driver position and easier entry. Both the 3.7 and 3.5 had better acceleration. 3.7 was fine and the turbo was a hot rod. I will buy a Transit probably with the Ecoboost for the acceleration. The fuel economy will not match my Sprinter but I prefer the convenience of gas and the many more service locations. Did not find anything I did not like. So the only negative that I can see is the lower fuel economy. Sprinter and Transit are very similar but I prefer the Transit so will but one.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Seduced by the turbos. and giving up on the CNG, huh?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm coming around to the 3.5L, as long as there isn't a hit on highway mpg - and of course would need to try out both.

Anybody know if there are any extra routine periodic service/maintenance items to be aware of with that engine?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Seduced by the turbos. and giving up on the CNG, huh?
I would say that is a true statement.

I also suspect depending how you drive (without foot in it) the 3.5 will get better mileage. Smaller displacement, 3.31 rear instead of 3.73. May even last longer because it operates at a much lower rpm.

The problem will be keeping from getting a smile on your face while you accelerate like a van should not be able to do. There are times when my diesel Sprinter, that has a bit more torque than the 3.7, does slow on grades with the 2200 lb weight of the conversion. It will not slow with the 3.5.

If I was using a van for work in a local area, I would definitely get the 3.7. No need for the 3.5 power.

I also have come to the conclusion that at my 75 year old age I should not be concerned about maximum mpg. Pump gas in it at whatever rate it wants. This will probably be my last van.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts