Ford Transit USA Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes you have to lay on your side to service a bottom mounted propane take. I bring a blanket and tip $5 when it's needed, maybe once a year, maybe longer. Go to an rv show, the ones with propane have them closer to the edge but still way down low. I added electric heat and haven't used propane much at all.

Propane and shower are things I'd do different if I build another van.
Since I'm shadowing you in one thread...and quoting you in your own thread..... What would you do different?

Happy New Year from San Diego! 🇺🇸

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Since I'm shadowing you in one thread...and quoting you in your own thread..... What would you do different?

Happy New Year from San Diego! 🇺🇸
Not install a shower. Possibly not propane either.

Skip propane heat and go straight with electric heat strips in roof ac unit. They work much better if shore power is available, usually is.

Make upper bunk 3" longer

Sink counter depth and workspace is great, but it needs to be narrower for people movement.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Very nice build. I am quite impressed with how much power you are set up to draw from the alternator and run the A/C. along with the idle rpm implementation.

It is interesting to read your comment about propane as I am quite impressed by your manchester tank implementation. I was at our local propane re-seller last weekend for the grill tank and we were discussing propane re-fill procedures for RVs.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Skip propane heat and go straight with electric heat strips in roof ac unit. They work much better if shore power is available, usually is.

Sink counter depth and workspace is great, but it needs to be narrower for people movement.
Will you have the same size inverter? How has the 2000W Samlex been working for you? What was the maximum power you drew through it and for how long? Will your electrical system in your new van be much different? Mine will be similar to your current one, so I am wondering how it has performed for you.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Can't stop doing things to the Transit. Today I added variable SEIC (stationary elevated idle control). I can now set idle from 950-1800 with a turn of the knob for when running the rooftop air conditioner.

View attachment 135938
Do you have the info or a hyperlink for the variable resistor that you used to control seic ?
Do you have a soft start device installed in your A/C?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Do you have the info or a hyperlink for the variable resistor that you used to control seic ?
Do you have a soft start device installed in your A/C?
Thanks.
I used this 20k, 10 turn potentiometer to allow me to chose the idle rpm I wanted up to 1800 max. Didn't use the knob it came with, used a regular knob from my junk bin.

I did install a soft start in my A/C. That allows me to run the 13.5k btu A/C off a small 2k generator or 2k inverter. I purchased an EasyStart 364 direct from Microair.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I used this 20k, 10 turn potentiometer to allow me to chose the idle rpm I wanted up to 1800 max. Didn't use the knob it came with, used a regular knob from my junk bin.

I did install a soft start in my A/C. That allows me to run the 13.5k btu A/C off a small 2k generator or 2k inverter. I purchased an EasyStart 364 direct from Microair.
Thanks, this is helpful. If you don't mind, I have a couple more questions.
Did you have any issues running the A/C while drivein when the engine would drop to normal idle?
Is your portable generator a Honda?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Thanks, this is helpful. If you don't mind, I have a couple more questions.
Did you have any issues running the A/C while drivein when the engine would drop to normal idle?
Is your portable generator a Honda?
I have never run the rooftop A/C while driving. The van's A/C is always been enough. You could though if need be. The short time idling would just draw slightly from the van's battery if the roof A/C compressor was running at the time. It does cycle.

I have a portable Honda clone 2000 watt generator (harbor freight) I have if home power goes out. I tested the rooftop A/C with it after installing soft start. Generator doesn't come on trips with me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dang, Nice build! I need to read this whole thread. Better make myself a good Whiskey-coke tonight and put on the reading glasses.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Couple questions before you forget all about this build:
1) what was source of, or design concept behind, your shower curtain “rod?” (360 degree)
2) why would you remove shower from “next build?” Just never used?, or problems after problems?

AND, congrats on sale, you did many great things!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Couple questions before you forget all about this build:
1) what was source of, or design concept behind, your shower curtain “rod?” (360 degree)
2) why would you remove shower from “next build?” Just never used?, or problems after problems?

AND, congrats on sale, you did many great things!
1) so the space could be used as a toilet and changing room also, not just a shower
2) only used shower a few times, I could take longer showers in the campground bathhouse

It's not sold yet, waiting...

It was "sold" two weeks ago, handshake and everything. The day before we were to meet at bank, he texts me sorry man, I can't buy van.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sorry to hear it fell through. I still think you have a nice van, and I bet the right buyer will come along.

However, I am still curious where you got that shower curtain rod thingy, and if I could buy or build one something like it for my plans. It looks less bulky than some cobbled up PVC pipe contraption, and I want 360 degree coverage too.

Last year, amidst all the Covid scare...which still might be with us much of this year, a private shower was as much necessity as luxury given restricted access to public showers & I still want an “inside” shower option: more for colder days than for privacy.

2015 Tall, Medium Length, Cargo, 3.5EB, pretty generic-looking, DIY camper

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #139

·
Registered
140 Posts
really great build, SC! Picked up a number of little things over the whole thread. Nice attention to detail, and lots of creative solutions. Thanks for sharing it.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts