Ford Transit USA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
How do you vent the water heater? Any concerns about it scorching/igniting the wood above?

I have the same heater and mounted it in a similar location, not sure if it’s safe to use without the rear doors wide open.

The Excel Tankless heater is designed for inside use. No venting required. Not all tankless heaters are for inside use so pay attention to the requirements. I maintained all required clearances per the installation manual.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Installed Van Compass steel intercooler skid plate for protection. The factory plastic trim wasn't going to protect anything. I had to cut away a lot of the lower plastic trim per VC's instructions to install the skid plate.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Excel Tankless heater is designed for inside use. No venting required. Not all tankless heaters are for inside use so pay attention to the requirements. I maintained all required clearances per the installation manual.
Interesting... it would appear from the manufacturer description that the only component that makes it indoor rated is the ODS (oxygen depletion safety). Otherwise it is more or less identical to my Eccotemp.

We only use the Eccotemp for outdoor showers anyway so a door will always be open when it is ignited.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Interesting... it would appear from the manufacturer description that the only component that makes it indoor rated is the ODS (oxygen depletion safety). Otherwise it is more or less identical to my Eccotemp.

We only use the Eccotemp for outdoor showers anyway so a door will always be open when it is ignited.
I returned my unused, brand new EccoTemp instahot the day I received it after reading outdoor use only. They gave me a very hard time returning it. I called them the day it arrived at my house, I was transferred to three agents and had to explain why I didn't want it anymore over and over. Poor customer service. I'm glad it's gone.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Installed Air Lift 57213 Load Lifter 5000 Air Spring Kit to support the loaded weight better and not strain the stock suspension over time. I already had a 2" lift kit and Hellwig swaybar.

Copied another members location for the fill ports.

Kit is Transit specific and $277 on Amazon. Received in two days.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Question,
what are the black plastic (looking) bits behind all the cabinet door handles?

And if anyone is looking for color changing waterproof LED, little company called West Marine is your friend :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
@greenvan those are flush door pulls behind the cabinet door handles. They are on all the doors and drawers. My daughter had a hard time opening the doors using the flush door pulls due to the catches I installed, so I added "normal" door pulls for her.

I looked at West Marine, they didn't have what I wanted. I settled on white LED porch lights.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@greenvan those are flush door pulls behind the cabinet door handles. They are on all the doors and drawers. My daughter had a hard time opening the doors using the flush door pulls due to the catches I installed, so I added "normal" door pulls for her.

I looked at West Marine, they didn't have what I wanted. I settled on white LED porch lights.
Ahh, that's kinda what i was thinking was going on with the pulls.

Really nice conversion, i like your simple but effective electrical system. Im glad to see someone utilizing the dual batteries as part of house system.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Ahh, that's kinda what i was thinking was going on with the pulls.

Really nice conversion, i like your simple but effective electrical system. Im glad to see someone utilizing the dual batteries as part of house system.
Thank you.

Actually, the dual batteries are not really part of the house system. The single inverter can he powered by the dual batteries yes, but the intent was only with the engine running, essentially running inverter off the alternator. I added SEIC to up the rpm to keep voltage up.

The single inverter can also be powered by the house batter, shore power or generator. Flexibility was my goal and that added a small bit of complexity in the electrical system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought the same AC your using. I see you put it all the way towards the back. Did you have to use any extra supports for it? I have the a 350HD extended and am trying to figure out the best spot for install. Your van looks great.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I just bought the same AC your using. I see you put it all the way towards the back. Did you have to use any extra supports for it? I have the a 350HD extended and am trying to figure out the best spot for install. Your van looks great.
I did install all the way in back. The space between ribs is exactly 14" apart, so no additional support was needed. If I was to install in the forward location (where fan is), I would have needed additional supports per the BEMM due to weight.

Thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thank you.

Actually, the dual batteries are not really part of the house system. The single inverter can he powered by the dual batteries yes, but the intent was only with the engine running, essentially running inverter off the alternator. I added SEIC to up the rpm to keep voltage up.

The single inverter can also be powered by the house batter, shore power or generator. Flexibility was my goal and that added a small bit of complexity in the electrical system.
@sportcoupe I'm thinking about building a similar AC/electrical system to yours. Can you describe the alternator charging system you are using? Also curious what your opinion is about any of the inverter/chargers with built in transfer. They would really simplify the system. I have been looking at the Xantrex model. https://amsolar.com/rv-inverters-chargers/inv-x-2000fx

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
@EnviroProf my T250 was ordered with HD alternator (250A) and dual AGM batteries. I connected the 2000W pure sine inverter to the dual batteries and house battery with the use of a manual select switch (off, van or house). I went inverter only (Samlex $576) with seperate 50A shore charger (Samlex $333), and transfer switch (WFCO $67) for maximum control with only a bit more wiring. An all-in-one inverter cannot invert and charge at the same time to my knowledge. My system can. Also, if my transfer switch or shore charger goes bad, I only have to replace that component, not the entire all-in-one inverter charger.

The alternator can power the inverter while idling or driving. That way I can charge house battery or run rooftop AC anytime I wanted too.

I can also charge house battery or run rooftop AC off of shore power or generator.

I can and do run inverter off of house battery for TV, and coffee as needed. If I really had to, I could run roof AC off house battery for a couple of hours although I'd rather idle the quiet van engine. That is where SEIC comes in. I can select idle anywhere from 900-1800 rpm for higher voltage and lower amps. The van battery stays fully charged doing this.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
A Magnum Hybrid inverter can both charge batteries and invert at the same time.

25 years ago Inverter/Chargers charged and inverted at the same time, I do not what caused this change for most more modern Inverters/Chargers today.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks @sportcoupe for the detailed explanation and diagram. I'm continuously impressed with the many different ways that forum members have found to achieve their design goals. I think the challenge for me is deciding ahead of time exactly how I will be using the camper's electric components, and then choosing the equipment that will get that done.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
A Magnum Hybrid inverter can both charge batteries and invert at the same time.

25 years ago Inverter/Chargers charged and inverted at the same time, I do not what caused this change for most more modern Inverters/Chargers today.
That's pretty cool, and very expensive - $1800.

You still need to have it connected to van battery similar to mine to invert and charge house battery at the same time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
sportcoupe,
So your AC will run off the inverter while driving or idling? Do you have a hard start or smart start capacitor? That's an interesting setup.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
That's pretty cool, and very expensive - $1800.
Lot of luck on expensive, My Magnum MS2012 with options cost over $2,000.
There are several people on this forum who chose Magnum's more expensive then mine.
I have worked with the Magnum forerunners (Trace) since 1991 so I really had no other choice but to get a Magnum.
I was kind of surprised when you bought Samlex hoping to power a AC, The reviews for high power usage were not that good

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Lot of luck on expensive, My Magnum MS2012 with options cost over $2,000.
There are several people on this forum who chose Magnum's more expensive then mine.
I have worked with the Magnum forerunners (Trace) since 1991 so I really had no other choice but to get a Magnum.
I was kind of surprised when you bought Samlex hoping to power a AC, The reviews for high power usage were not that good
I'm not paying all-in-one prices, thats crazy. Samlex is name brand and has decent reviews. People complain, only the complainers post, just like here in Transit forum. They post when something breaks, never post when it's going well. The majority of owners are not even on forums too.

If I was full time van living, I may have spend more money. The Samlex runs the roof AC fine, it's only 50% loaded when running AC and I only occasionally use it off inverter. If I am campground, I plug in.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts