Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 T350 Wagon 3.5 Ecoboost 100100 kms
Got check engine light 2 weeks ago.
Everyone said plugs. Put new plugs in, had trouble with the coil bolts being corroded.
Lasted enough to get me home from cottage.
Check engine on again, stumbles on hard acceleration.
Called Ford dealer, sorry, we're booking for the week after next.
Took it to a local garage who I trust.
Calls me and says # 3 injector is bad.
Go ahead and replace it.
Calls back, can't get the plenum off to get to the injectors.
Front two bolts came out easy, no way of removing the rest, bolt heads are gone!
Back to Ford, they tell me #1 injector is bad.
Get another call back, coil#2 bolt has snapped off, need new valve cover.
Next call, #3injector is bad, can't remove it, bolt is snapped. Noe they're talking removal of engine!
I'm now close to $3000.00 ! Told dealership tonight that they better cover this under warranty. Everything leads back to broken bolts. Totally unacceptable on a vehicle less than 5 years old with just over 100,000 kms on it.
They're meeting in the morning to discuss it. So done with Ford!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: We're now in the ballpark of $6000!!! They are having a hard time with the bolt/s holding the #3 injector in. If the bolt/s snap then they want to pull the engine! Since when do you have to pull the engine to change a **** injector. I told them they best get on the phone to Ford and plead my case. This has gone from a irritation to a full blown nightmare!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Update: We're now in the ballpark of $6000!!! They are having a hard time with the bolt/s holding the #3 injector in. If the bolt/s snap then they want to pull the engine! Since when do you have to pull the engine to change a **** injector. I told them they best get on the phone to Ford and plead my case. This has gone from a irritation to a full blown nightmare!

Found On Road Dead

Ford... ‘where quality is job one’

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds horrible, but hey if it was a Sprinter you'd probably be looking at quadruple that, then more unrelated emissions problems down the road, am I right?

Any idea why you got rust there?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Sounds horrible, but hey if it was a Sprinter you'd probably be looking at quadruple that, then more unrelated emissions problems down the road, am I right?

Any idea why you got rust there?
Heh, you must be new, here. Drainage off the windshield is poorly engineered. Water ends up draining on key underhood components -- airbox, ECU, harness connections, and top of engine.

Check the TURD link in my sig lines -- the longest thread in the history of this forum. No, don't. It would take days to read, and, the tidbits of enlightenment are spread throughout... not to mention the occasional bits of misunderstanding or misinformation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eh, kinda new, but definitely haven't heard of that issue yet! Dang, that design flaw sounds like a bad one. I'll check out your longest-post-ever when I get a minute!

Heh, you must be new, here. Drainage off the windshield is poorly engineered. Water ends up draining on key underhood components -- airbox, ECU, harness connections, and top of engine.

Check the TURD link in my sig lines -- the longest thread in the history of this forum. No, don't. It would take days to read, and, the tidbits of enlightenment are spread throughout... not to mention the occasional bits of misunderstanding or misinformation.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
They are having a hard time with the bolt/s holding the #3 injector in. If the bolt/s snap then they want to pull the engine! Since when do you have to pull the engine to change a **** injector.
Bad on Ford for not using better corrosion protection on these bolts. But it's also the dealer's mechanics fault. They're used to working on newer cars so when a bolt doesn't want to come out, they use more force, and SNAP!

Indies are more used to old, rusty cars. I've gotten a reasonable feel for when bolts start stretching and that tells me STOP TURNING THE WRENCH! There are a lot of ways to proceed from there. First step is penetrating oil but that can take hours to days which kill their profit.

Not surprised with them saying they have to pull the engine. I'm assuming they need that clearance to be able to drill out the broken bolt. That also tells me they're just not very good and/or experienced mechanics. There are tricks for removing snapped bolts that don't require the clearance. Lots of tricks for removing stuck bolts without breaking them.

If it were my van, I'd have these guys stop working on it and tow it to a better shop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have noticed this problem on my 2016. I am going to bring it up to the dealer next oil change. My cowl drip leaks at various spots and depending on the angle your car is sitting it may drip right on top of the engine. I only seem to notice the middle two filling up with water but they have been completely full before. Those bolt heads look rusty as **** too. In the winter I am afraid if it freezing and cracking something. Im going in to the dealer in a couple weeks, maybe sooner, I will report back.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I think most people on the forum know what your dealer is going to say. Unless you're very lucky with a great dealer service dept, you're better off applying your own creativity to the cowl issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Recently I helped replace injectors in a Cummins diesel with well over 800,000 kms on it. Everything came apart with no corrosion issues whatsoever. So Ford builds an engine where injector replacement comes to over $6000? Something is seriously wrong here. The balls in their court. I told them that I would gladly pay normal labour and parts cost to replace the injector. I will not pay ridiculous amounts of cash due to Ford's f%^k up. I'm waiting to hear from them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A 2015 vehicle with just over 100,000 kms IS a new vehicle. I would expect this maybe in a 10-15 year old vehicle. Used to crow the virtues of the Ecoboost. Not any more, absolute piece of garbage. Due to the amount of plastic on it, it's not even suitable for a boat anchor! Am I pissed off? You better believe it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sooooooo.............Ford Canada in a token of kindness will cover $1000. The dealership will kick in $500. So at the end of the day, I'm stuck with a $5400 bill.They are dropping the engine out. But, they have to remove the lower control arms first, "they always get damaged when we take them out so we've ordered 2 new control arms". WTF! I'm going to pay the bill only because I need my family bus back. I'll run it the rest of the summer then we'll consider our next 2nd vehicle choice. I'm not letting this go, I'll be writing a long detailed letter to Ford Canada. Beware folks!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sooooooo.............Ford Canada in a token of kindness will cover $1000. The dealership will kick in $500. So at the end of the day, I'm stuck with a $5400 bill.They are dropping the engine out. But, they have to remove the lower control arms first, "they always get damaged when we take them out so we've ordered 2 new control arms". WTF! I'm going to pay the bill only because I need my family bus back. I'll run it the rest of the summer then we'll consider our next 2nd vehicle choice. I'm not letting this go, I'll be writing a long detailed letter to Ford Canada. Beware folks!

That really sucks.

Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road Dead
Ford,... where quality is job one! (Ford advertising slogan from the 70’s and/or 80’s)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Makes me wonder if i should get the extended warranty.

I recently took my ‘15 T350 EB 3.31 Long Tall Extended in for recall work. The service ‘adviser’ would not admit that several things that needed to be repaired under the PREMIUM FORD Extended Warranty would be covered. Later in the day, he said the technician said the whining might be the transmission. I literally exclaimed out loud, “Oh bullshit! Send that dumbass back to school!” He was shocked. So were other employees in earshot. But he had an immediate change of countenance.

Finally I was able to demonstrate the whining coming from the differential to the shop Foreman in a test drive. He thinks it’s the pinion gear, but I don’t know for sure. He still wouldn’t be concrete about warranty coverage. I asked if it happened at 15,000 miles and one year of ownership if it would be covered. He said yes. I told him that the dealership that sold me the Ford PREMIUM warranty said it was from Ford Motor Company, that it extended the factory warranty to five years or 75,000 miles, bumper to bumper coverage. He seemed to relent and agree that it would be covered, as well as a couple of other issues that I was dealing with.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Stealerships would rather deny warranty work, which reimburses them less than their going rate, so they can hook the customer for a higher bill.

They also showed me an impressive check list of things that they checked, including air and cabin air filter. My airbox is turd covered, and I haven’t yet installed my recently purchased cabin air filter. What assholes!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Op,

Have dealership stop work,
go and take detailed pics of all the parts that is corroded pls.

Bolts do NOT corrode overnight.

What was your engine's warranty?

You should consult an attorney and file on the basis that these bolts were corroded long before the warranty expired. Then if you subpoena FORD for ALL the issues they had with these bolts corroding, you will get a "we will buy you a new engine letter in the mail" soon after.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts