Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello transit owners,

I am getting my 2020 transit delivered in Toronto tomorrow!
The dealer offered “permanent” rust proofing under and all over the body. Anyone have recommendations if I should get this from the dealer or is there a better place to do this? They mentioned something about ford voiding the warranty if there was some damage to the parts if the rust proofing is not done by ford authorized dealer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 AWD CrewVan HR LWB EB
192 Posts
If by permanent they mean that you can take it back every year for a rust proofing touch up then I'd go for it. That's what my GM dealer sold me years ago. The Rust Proofing I've had seems to fall off after some time.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say with more recent (Transit) experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In a number of forums people have serious reservations about rust proofing offered by dealers. Do lots of research on DIY rust proofing using products like Woolwax and Fluid Film. I'm using fluid film on my 2018 Transit. I'm pleased so far.

·
Registered
2019 MR non-ext
81 Posts
Normally any dealer add-on can be done elsewhere cheaper, and likely with better quality. If it were me I'd follow TransitBob's advice.

·
Registered
827 Posts
In a number of forums people have serious reservations about rust proofing offered by dealers. Do lots of research on DIY rust proofing using products like Woolwax and Fluid Film. I'm using fluid film on my 2018 Transit. I'm pleased so far.
Did you notice a rotten milk smell for a month or two afterwards? I've heard fluid film stinks, it's a magnet for dirt and dust, and washes off after a year or two. But it's still on my list. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
684 Posts
No way...this is just another way to scam your more money. But the sad part is, they drill more holes in the van lead to more rust. Also whatever they use to spray inside the panel, the stuff plug ups the factory drain holes, lead to more rust. Why I know all this because I lived in Buffalo for 12 years. I know about rust proofing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you notice a rotten milk smell for a month or two afterwards? I've heard fluid film stinks, it's a magnet for dirt and dust, and washes off after a year or two. But it's still on my list. Any info is appreciated.
Fluid film has a unique smell, more like lanolin to me. I don't find it strong or annoying, but maybe that's me. It is a magnet for dust and dirt, intentionally so. If you research how it works, dirt accumulating in the film adds to the protection and makes it last longer before needing to reapply. It's great for spraying into door frames and body panels. As it warms it creeps into every little crevice providing great protection. There are lots of youtube videos of people who have used it, and they discuss the pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Lots of photo's of Rust on brand new Transit's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is a great video depicting what rubberized tar like undercoating (ziebart) will do to your vehicle. It traps moisture. We only use fluid film type oil undercoating with great results here in NY. Needs to be applied every year but well worth it.

·
Registered
Ford Focus
2 Posts
many people have already complained about rust protection from dealers. This is most likely a cheap and low-quality thing that they just want to tell you. It is better to check all indicators, components and consult with the expert that in a year it was not necessary to make reconstruction of a car.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did Ziebart way back when on a 1974 Econoline. It was like an asphalt based product. I never saw any problems with it causing water to be trapped, but the drain holes were open. I was living in Northern Ohio back then and salt was the go-to cure for snow and ice on the roads, so the ziebart was a necessity. I had a 1969 Ford Mach 1 that could be worth $100,000 today, but it rusted out in three years. My biggest complaint with the Ziebart was that is was a heavy product and added a lot of weight to the van. Of course, in my OCD state, and intending to do a van/camper conversion, I was worried about moisture in the van from breath and cooking moisture so I had them spray the inside walls of the empty van too. THAT was overkill. I didn't realize until it was done how much weight it would add.

·
Registered
2020 AWD CrewVan HR LWB EB
192 Posts
I didn't have any issues with my Ziebart style undercoating, however, I think I did the truck a favour by not going back to get the vehicle re-sprayed when I noticed it falling off. That was a 2007 Sierra and there is very little rust on it, save for surface rust on the frame rails and such. Having said that, I watched a couple of YouTube vids that tested different products. Since I wanted something that wasn't able to rub/drip off, I have purchased a couple of bottles of CRC Heavy Duty Inhibitor to go on the new van when it arrives.

·
Registered
2020 350HD DRW AWD HR EL black fully windowed
12 Posts
Out here in Quebec province we are used to rustproofing our cars and trucks every winter or so. Out of the many brands available out there, one sticks out as the top dog... Krown products. They mainly do commercial fleets but also domestic cars and trucks. It's a little more $$ than most but if top quality is what your after, these guys are the best at it, imo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello transit owners,

I am getting my 2020 transit delivered in Toronto tomorrow!
The dealer offered “permanent” rust proofing under and all over the body. Anyone have recommendations if I should get this from the dealer or is there a better place to do this? They mentioned something about ford voiding the warranty if there was some damage to the parts if the rust proofing is not done by ford authorized dealer.

Thanks in advance!
Hi what have you finally done for rust proofing? How has the transit been holding up in the winter so far? any rust already? I m researching rust treatment for my coming new van.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you DIY it or have someone else do it for you?how often do you reapply fluid film?
I did it myself, but I didn't have time to do the under carriage before winter. Because of the pandemic I hardly drove this winter anyways. In the spring I want to put it up on a hoist and do the underside. You can get it in gallons and use a proper sprayer, but I'll just do it with spray cans.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did it myself, but I didn't have time to do the under carriage before winter. Because of the pandemic I hardly drove this winter anyways. In the spring I want to put it up on a hoist and do the underside. You can get it in gallons and use a proper sprayer, but I'll just do it with spray cans.
can fluid film be sprayed all of the undercarriage? is there any specific place(suspension, wiring , shaft, muffler etc)that I should avoid? does it drip? I am considering between this type of oil spray and sth like Amsoil HD metal protector.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I buy Krown spray in gallon jugs from the local Krown dealer. Spray my own. 2 jugs and I can do the van, my F150 and the wifes CRV with a little left over. Put some dirty clothes on, a respirator and just crawl underneath and spray them with an oil sprayer I got from Princess Auto. I do it on the grass, and leave the vehicles parked there for at least a day as it will drip some.

I think its a $60 a gallon to buy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts