Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Interesting. I don't recall seeing anything like that, but without a tall van yet, haven't really been looking. Must be the older hotels. I'm sure that you definitely need to pay attention. When I hauled two kayaks on top of my VW Syncro camper I was probably at Transit height and I taped a piece of paper to the dash with the height in inches and metric to remind myself.

Google Street View is helpful!

I went to book this place, but that is the only entrance to the parking (there is a fence on the backside of that lot, but always locked). You have to enter/exit the front entrance only due to that locked gates. Oops.

Big open parking lot in the back, close the beach and boardwalk.

link to google maps street view of110 Riverside Ave Santa Cruz, California

I found another place, but once I arrived spotted "street parking for residence permit holders only" as the HR-EL was a bit long to get into the parking spaces. Thankfully the hotel has temporary permits for hotel guest to allow street parking. The catch was once we arrived, it was by foot or Uber, so we didn't lose our space. Beach town fun. The irony was it was much faster to walk everywhere. I was in town for the Santa Cruz Triathalon. Just had a shoulder bag to stuff gear into and cycled down the transition area for the event.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think this is a complete non-issue with the exception of some very small camp spots. And even in those the difference between a long and extended van is not going to make a difference.

We travel a fair amount in the west, visiting state and local parks. Never has this been an issue.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mather Campground at Grand Canyon says "19 maximum length" for most spots but they don't enforce it as far as I can see.

Have your official stats ready when boarding that ferry!
We were at Mather recently. Best I recall, most camp spots were fairly large. We could fit and extended van and another car if we wanted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The toll on larger vehicles isn't because you're taking more airspace, it's because you are heavier (or likely to be way heavier.) and it should be that way. The road system in the US is crumbling because we dont tax use properly.
Road system is crumbling and needs drastic repairs yet drive into California and notice all the electric cars using the roads...none of which pay any road use taxes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
High roof, extended here. After ~23,000 mostly vacation miles, so far so good with respect to regulatory issues. We drove the tunnels of the Black Hills after careful consideration of the dimensions. I did hear a bystander exclaim "how did they get THAT through there?" after emerging from one tunnel.

I generally avoid regular campgrounds, but on the half-dozen occasions I've stayed in one there has never been a problem. Most accommodate full-size RVs, after all.

Driving the pumice roads of the Eastern Sierra is a two-person job, however. I steer and choose the line between the rocks and ruts while my buddy looks up and calls out the menacing tree branches. So far we haven't pranged it.

Maybe the dark color ("magnetic") helps -- makes it look smaller.

--Frank

·
Registered
23 Posts
Length matters....sometimes.

We have a 2017 T350 long (148") Wheelbase Medium roof so our length is 19'6" and that length thing is being enforced in a lot of national parks and monuments now. We went to Chimney Rock Nat. Monument in New Mexico last spring and there is a tour that goes up top, or you can drive yourself. Of course they said the max length was 20 feet and as we watched, a four door Ford pickup with a long box headed up the road.....the thing had to have it's own zipcode! I told her that ours was under 20 feet and the gal said no, she wouldn't let us go as our van "looked too long"!
National parks all over are telling long RV's that there are limits but many are not enforcing yet.....most signs we've seen say under 22.5 feet.
The pigtail bridges and tunnels in the Black Hills are all okay, very easy as these vans turn quickly. And we've been up the Iron Mountain road three times now in the Transit, along with the Needles highway and several small tunnels out west too. no problems.

Haven't seen any lines for measurement yet but have seen some signs limiting travel in the park to vehicles under 22.5 feet.
Nice thing about the 19'5" length is I can put the van in any parking spot anywhere, as 20 feet is the standard. We have friends with a longer sprinter and they need to park in outlying lots taking up two spaces.

But with more people in the parks every year, it's coming. We'll all be driving Transit Connects soon as their max length will be down to 14 feet!! :eek:
Pic attached - parks like a car, behaves like an RV....!
Oh, and LOVE the EcoBoost! The thing behaves like a sports car!!

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
We have a 2017 T350 long (148") Wheelbase Medium roof so our length is 19'6" and that length thing is being enforced in a lot of national parks and monuments now. We went to Chimney Rock Nat. Monument in New Mexico last spring and there is a tour that goes up top, or you can drive yourself. Of course they said the max length was 20 feet and as we watched, a four door Ford pickup with a long box headed up the road.....the thing had to have it's own zipcode! I told her that ours was under 20 feet and the gal said no, she wouldn't let us go as our van "looked too long"!
I have the Ford Van Specifications pages stored on my phone. If I ever get the "looks to long" comment I can quickly produce the actual engineering measurement accurate to the 0.1" for my 2017 T150 MR Long Wheelbase.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
We were at Mather recently. Best I recall, most camp spots were fairly large. We could fit and extended van and another car if we wanted.
Several spots were pull-through, so I don't know why the "19'" rule, maybe it's for certain sites.

I walked the campground and took notes on the "best" sites for the next time I have to stay there!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The last time we were in Yellowstone NP we were over 70' long and 13'6" tall, didn't have any issues getting around, although we took up a few parking spaces at the Old Faithful Visitors Center. I had changed my oil the day before and needed to mail an oil sample to Detroit Diesel. luckily there was a Post Office right there in the parking lot,They didn't seem too sure about accepting a jar of oil with a postage paid label on it though.....

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll need to contemplate an alternate before my next East Coast lap.../QUOTE]

We have used the Southern Tier Expressway the last half a dozen times we traveled to New England. Both directions.

Pick up Interstate 86 east of Erie . when you get to Binghamton jump on interstate 88 to Schenectady.
The difference in time and distance is minimal between that and Interstate 90. No tolls. No overpriced overcrowded gas stops. The road is a joy to drive on. Very little traffic .The eastbound only rest area overlooking Lake Chautauqua is a great lunch stop.

When is your next trip through New York? If you use the Southern Tier, let us know your thoughts.
But then you have to go through/to Binghamton :eek:
Even passing through sounds bad, and I have not lived there for 28 years!

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
The last time we were in Yellowstone NP we were over 70' long and 13'6" tall, didn't have any issues getting around, although we took up a few parking spaces at the Old Faithful Visitors Center. I had changed my oil the day before and needed to mail an oil sample to Detroit Diesel. luckily there was a Post Office right there in the parking lot,They didn't seem too sure about accepting a jar of oil with a postage paid label on it though.....
which model Transit is that? ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Glacier National Park's Going-to-the-Sun Road vehicle restrictions (about half-way down). There are length, width and height restrictions:

.....cut.....
The 8’-0” maximum width (including mirrors) could eliminate many larger vehicles if they don’t allow mirrors to be folded. I was there years ago but the road wasn’t open yet. On that trip out west I was in small SUV so wouldn’t have been an issue anyway. I need to measure my E-350 across mirrors, but expect it may exceed 8 feet.

I’m at 20 ft in length and low enough to have never been limited other than a few parking garages. Just last week I parked in covered airport garage. I have also never had issues with drive throughs.

To me having had a very low profile has been as valuable as the < 20-ft length. It'd be nice to keep height under 7’-6” as long as I can stand inside.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts