Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I'm doing preliminary research for a potential van build next summer, reading forums and learning all I can about the bewildering array of options for every part of a build. I'm on insulation right now, and I came across a post about using RovaShield paint as a thermal barrier. I can no longer find the original post. Has anyone used that product or something similar? Any thoughts as to pros and cons?
I should add-- I'm hoping to insulate the van well enough to keep it livable in temperatures down into the high 20s, without having to run a heater constantly.
Obviously I'd still be using other types of insulation, but I'm thinking that the paint might make sense especially in hard-to-insulate areas. It might also allow me to reduce the thickness necessary for roof insulation, which I like because I'm hoping to make a medium-height transit work (I'm 5'8").
Any resources/thoughts are appreciated, I'm a complete novice with little knowledge about this and would like to learn as much as I can before I start!

(Edit to add more specificity to title of post.)

·
Registered
841 Posts
This company makes some spray on products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, that is one of the other companies I'd come across. Do you think having a thermal barrier applied to the entire interior would be helpful, or would it be better to reserve for the hard-to-insulate surfaces?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ok thanks, that is one of the other companies I'd come across. Do you think having a thermal barrier applied to the entire interior would be helpful, or would it be better to reserve for the hard-to-insulate surfaces?

The issue with these insulation products is there is no consensus if they work long term. It seems like the product definitely works as an immediate barrier, but what about over time. How long will it delay the inevitable of equalization of temperature.

I am intrigued though with the Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation (CI) product. If it wasn't so expensive, I would give a try, but not sure if it is worth it given the actual cost.

It does seem pretty easy to apply with their sprayer, so that is a positive. The real work, like any type of painting, is the prep, taping etc....

Maybe someone here has used the product and can give us their thoughts on how it performs.

·
Registered
2016 150 Tran cargo
9 Posts
Hi all,
I'm doing preliminary research for a potential van build next summer, reading forums and learning all I can about the bewildering array of options for every part of a build. I'm on insulation right now, and I came across a post about using RovaShield paint as a thermal barrier. I can no longer find the original post. Has anyone used that product or something similar? Any thoughts as to pros and cons?
I should add-- I'm hoping to insulate the van well enough to keep it livable in temperatures down into the high 20s, without having to run a heater constantly.
Obviously I'd still be using other types of insulation, but I'm thinking that the paint might make sense especially in hard-to-insulate areas. It might also allow me to reduce the thickness necessary for roof insulation, which I like because I'm hoping to make a medium-height transit work (I'm 5'8").
Any resources/thoughts are appreciated, I'm a complete novice with little knowledge about this and would like to learn as much as I can before I start!

(Edit to add more specificity to title of post.)

I've only begun but here's what I'm going with. Was drawn to easy access, flexibility, sound and insulating value. Painted the floor for practice. Added the smaller bottle to thin for easier spread after 1st coat. Turned out solidly adhered, tough (not worried I'll scratch through to metal) and rubbery (4 coats). The noise never bothered me but I can tell a difference. Floor is cool vs cold from before. I decided to add to wheel wells and inner wall floor to create a rubber floor as possible catchment for skin condensation after finding water pooled in spots. The rest will be used on the roof. I vote insulating paint well worth it.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Fender Bumper Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm, interesting. I don't think the Rova Shield has any particular sound-barrier qualities, but that's a great addition to your van-- kind of a one-step-takes-care-of-lots idea. I'm thinking a layer of insulating paint over the whole interior would be a)very expensive, but b)possibly worth it, as no cold spots would mean less moisture condensing on the inside of the "skin." Maybe another layer just under wall-coverings too! Although that could get expensive fast, and I'm not sure it would have the intended effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts