Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying: I know. I know it was dumb to remove the passenger curtain airbags without capping the sensors. I know it was dumb to then cover up those sensors with cabinets that I can’t remove. I know it was dumb to disconnect the speakers and other electrical elements in the back that have now caused a ton of other issues. If you’re here to tell me I’m an idiot, I already know!

Now, on to the problems. My electrical issues can be categorized into two buckets: airbag-related, and (seemingly) non-airbag-related. With my airbags, I disconnected the curtain airbags, sensors, and CO2 canisters. I did not re-cap the sensors with a simulator. And now those sensors are wedged behind cabinets I’ve installed. Could I get to them if I knew it would solve all of my problems? Sure, I could rip out my cabinets, cap them, and reinstall everything. But then there’s the second set of issues.

As I’ve mentioned, I ripped out all of the back interior: the headliner (with overhead lights and air vent controllers) and the speakers. I left all of the wire in place, I just unplugged those different electrical elements. Here is a list of the error messages now on my dashboard and what isn’t working:
  • passenger side door rear ajar
  • driver’s side low beam bulb fault
  • driver’s side back turn indicator not working
  • backup cam not working
  • tire pressure monitor fault
  • key fob won’t lock or unlock doors

Obviously, some of these errors are more important to fix than others. I’ve already called a local Ford dealership, which will cost $100/hour just to diagnose what’s going on, let alone fix it.

Does anyone out there have any advice on what I should do? The most important issue to fix is the airbag light (since I can’t get a state inspection without it), and the low beam and turn indicator. Someone please help :cry:

PS: if you are in Virginia or within a reasonable driving distance to Charlottesville, I will 1000% come to you if you can fix it in person. I can also do video tours if anyone wants to just see what’s going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont be too hard on yourself, I stupidly filled the pillar that houses the seat belt mechanism with expanding foam...

it was a very very messy, expensive and embarrassing mistake.
That actually does make me feel a little better 😅 there are just some things that YouTube doesn’t prepare you for!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Couple questions / thoughts...
What year / model is your transit?
Assuming you removed the terminals from the battery, waited and then hooked it back up? Have you cleared all of the codes and they are showing up again and are still dealing with these issues?
Let me start by saying: I know. I know it was dumb to remove the passenger curtain airbags without capping the sensors. I know it was dumb to then cover up those sensors with cabinets that I can’t remove. I know it was dumb to disconnect the speakers and other electrical elements in the back that have now caused a ton of other issues. If you’re here to tell me I’m an idiot, I already know!

Now, on to the problems. My electrical issues can be categorized into two buckets: airbag-related, and (seemingly) non-airbag-related. With my airbags, I disconnected the curtain airbags, sensors, and CO2 canisters. I did not re-cap the sensors with a simulator. And now those sensors are wedged behind cabinets I’ve installed. Could I get to them if I knew it would solve all of my problems? Sure, I could rip out my cabinets, cap them, and reinstall everything. But then there’s the second set of issues.

As I’ve mentioned, I ripped out all of the back interior: the headliner (with overhead lights and air vent controllers) and the speakers. I left all of the wire in place, I just unplugged those different electrical elements. Here is a list of the error messages now on my dashboard and what isn’t working:
  • passenger side door rear ajar
  • driver’s side low beam bulb fault
  • driver’s side back turn indicator not working
  • backup cam not working
  • tire pressure monitor fault
  • key fob won’t lock or unlock doors

Obviously, some of these errors are more important to fix than others. I’ve already called a local Ford dealership, which will cost $100/hour just to diagnose what’s going on, let alone fix it.

Does anyone out there have any advice on what I should do? The most important issue to fix is the airbag light (since I can’t get a state inspection without it), and the low beam and turn indicator. Someone please help :cry:

PS: if you are in Virginia or within a reasonable driving distance to Charlottesville, I will 1000% come to you if you can fix it in person. I can also do video tours if anyone wants to just see what’s going on.
couple questions / thoughts...
What year and model do you have?

. ,, u HRT gb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Assuming you removed the terminals from the battery, waited and then hooked it back up? Have you cleared all of the codes and they are showing up again and are still dealing with these issues?

. ,, u HRT gb
Hi there - it’s a 2016 Ford Transit Passenger van, medium roof. I did disconnect the battery before I took out the airbags, but I don’t know how to clear the error code. Maybe I should start there: can I clear those codes myself?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi there - it’s a 2016 Ford Transit Passenger van, medium roof. I did disconnect the battery before I took out the airbags, but I don’t know how to clear the error code. Maybe I should start there: can I clear those codes myself?
Not necessarily my wheelhouse, but I would think starting with a couple simple
Things may reduce the number of issues you’re dealing with. Probably start by disconnecting the battery (again). Wait 2 minutes and then reconnect it. Then drive it to your local auto parts store. Most will out a code reader on there at no charge (kraken, Napa, etc). Have them clear any codes they’re able to. Then... see where you’re at! Probably won’t solve all but maybe it will resolve a couple issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

. ,, u HRT gb
Hi there! I capped all of my airbag sensors with those little black, two-pronged caps aaaaaaaand nothing 😥 Do I need to do something else to clear the error message? Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 153631 Did you remove the crash sensors? I saw in a YouTube video where someone removed them and it turned the airbag light on.
Hmmm... maybe. Where did you take this picture? I unplugged more of the electrical components (still have them all to plug back in if needed) so I’m wondering if it’s a part of a larger circuit that I cut (though it seems like airbags are important enough to be on their own circuit).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.