Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is possible to get all three (vent, solar and air con) on the roof of a HR LWB non-ext? Seems the roof is not as long as you'd think it is with that forward curve.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I explored this when I was looking. I found you should be able to get a single Grape 180W with a Coleman Cub and a Maxxair, but it would be close. I'd put the AC up front, the MaxxAir far aft and stick the panel in-between. @Hein has some very accurate rooftop plans available that should help with measurements. I'll see if I can dig them up.

*edit

Here you go

·
Registered
670 Posts
@Inkog - Thank you. I was thinking the same arrangement but didn't know how but a solar panel I could get between the other two.

I don't know if its possible on the LWB, but I was able to squeeze my MaxxAir aft of the last roof rib on my Extended. I'm not sure if I considered that previously. You may have room for two panels?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have an extended so it's highly doubtful that I could get two solar panels up there with a Maxxair and air con.

Waiting on van to be delivered late feb so just planning my parts order.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MaxxFfan vs Fantastic Fan is a whole different argument, isn't it? I have not bought a fan yet, was looking at Maxxfan. I'm in planning stages while van is being built.

Then again, fan choice may be even more important if I want all three items on the small roof of a Transit.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been many months since I posted this thread. I did post it even before buying my Transit.

Fast forward to today, I have a roof ac and a maxxfan. I would like a solar panel just to keep the house battery charged without as much intervention as I am doing now. Don't get me wrong, it is easy to keep it charged, I just want an even easier solution.

Can I fit a single panel (or multiple smaller panels) on the roof without much shading of the panels? LWB non-ext high roof. Suggestions? Here is a pic of my roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Can I fit a single panel (or multiple smaller panels) on the roof without much shading of the panels? LWB non-ext high roof. Suggestions? Here is a pic of my roof.
Not that will work under the carport. >:D

If you are putting just one up, and you get a high-output panel, you ought to be able to supplement your charging nicely. If you want to get technical, work up the height over the roof of the panel, the AC shroud, and the Vent, then work up Max/Min Sun angles for different times of the year. Apply the math to determine when shade would affect the panels with the van parked while pointed in various compass directions. Based on what is discovered you could then consider raising the panel further off the roof, building a hinged mount, or other approaches to address any issues the calculations reveal.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think one high output panel should be just fine to keep house batt full during the work week. No need to get super fancy. I raised my 7 foot carport to 10 feet when I bought the Transit. That was a job I only wanted to do ONCE.

Looking at a Grape 180W single panel right now.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Install a couple short sections of 8020 rails with our pads and brackets at stations 2 and 3. Then a grape solar 180 watt panel will span between the rails. We have all the stuff you will need. You could run the rails the full length of the van which looks a little better but would require more parts.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Install a couple short sections of 8020 rails with our pads and brackets at stations 2 and 3. Then a grape solar 180 watt panel will span between the rails. We have all the stuff you will need. You could run the rails the full length of the van which looks a little better but would require more parts.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Thanks for your good suggestion. I assume stations 2 and 3 are the open area between my fan and AC.
Are these the pads and brackets you're referring to?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Ford-Transit-Tower-Brackets-forMounting-Solar-Panels-with-8020-Crossbars/132465789379?hash=item1ed79389c3:m:me_J8WUQC4qkH-bEyoh8xWw&var=431811352394

For the full length rails, is this the kit you mentioned? Would I need full length rails if I want to add an awning in future?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/148-WB-Ford-Transit-Roof-Rail-Pads-Brackets-and-8020-Rail-Bar-Kit/132659526135?hash=item1ee31fb9f7:m:mFnN_DoIQPAYogV4TK-L84Q

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I was thinking of the Panasonic 330W as a great single panel solution at a price point of $0.90/Watt. (compared to Grape 180W @ $1.19/Watt) Just need to be sure to find an MPPT rated for the voltage/current spec the panel provides.

https://tandem-solar-systems.com/buy-solar-products/panasonic-330w-module-blkwht/
Yes but at 42" wide and 62" long, the 330 watt panel physically will not fit. I have 34" between the back of the Maxxfan hood and the AC unit.

The Grape 180w is about 26"x58".

·
Registered
25 Posts
With a Coleman Mach 8 Plus CUB that I plan on installing next year, I think I can get one more panel cross-wise up top between the A/C and the rear solar panels.
What kind and size of solar panels are those? Also is that a 130"wb medium roof van?

THanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts