Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know or know where to find the max length of a roof rack I can put on a 21 HR EX ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am planning to build my own rack for my HR 148. I plan on full aluminum plate and either round welded aluminum cross bars or 8020, depending on cost. AL is stupid expensive right now.
My van & this image is NOT the extended model, but you should just be able to add ~18 inches i think.
The 3033mm is from the two red marks, end of my rack to the front corner. I tried to make a nice transition from the angle of the roof to the rack. Gives me a slick spot for a light bar in the faring too! Van drawing is from the BEMM site.

Crappy rendering is on my van

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That looks slick! I am using 8020. And need to fit a 315 watt panel around a maxx fan and ac unit.
Hopefully can make it all work.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
684 Posts
Thank you! That looks slick! I am using 8020. And need to fit a 315 watt panel around a maxx fan and ac unit.
Hopefully can make it all work.
That should not be difficult to achieve in your case. I have two 210 watts each Newpowa panel and Flatliner roof rack (I am too lazy to make my own)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at both. They both seem nice, but just based on price I think I can build an extruded alum one for a lot less.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
588 Posts
We cut a few inches off the 12' extrusions for the long side-rails. Ended up removing the cross-bar on the back and the planned extra 2 x 50w panels back there. We'll still use those rear points for light-mounts. Gotta make a front fairing eventually... 🤔

If you won't go all the way to the back, 10' extrusions for the sides are fine. And then you won't need those rear brackets, either.

I gotta build an actual parts-list for this.Roughly:
3' 3" angle aluminum, 1/4" thickness, 1/4" radius (cut to ~3" wide each (5-6 per side)
HDPE - 1" thick (https://amzn.com/B003HEWUFO)
10-12 M10 bolts (https://amzn.com/B07K5ZBFWS) (add washers and/or lock-washers as you see fit)
2x 12' aluminum extrusion (or less)

Cross-members as you see fit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We cut a few inches off the 12' extrusions for the long side-rails. Ended up removing the cross-bar on the back and the planned extra 2 x 50w panels back there. We'll still use those rear points for light-mounts. Gotta make a front fairing eventually... 🤔

If you won't go all the way to the back, 10' extrusions for the sides are fine. And then you won't need those rear brackets, either.

3' 3" angle aluminum, 1/4" thickness, 1/4" radius (cut to ~3" wide each (5-6 per side)
10-12 M10 bolts (https://amzn.com/B07K5ZBFWS) (add washers and/or lock-washers as you see fit)

View attachment 151111
Thanks! That looks good. Does the fan work good being back there? I need to put my fan, a 315 watt panel and a mach 8 cub AC unit. Afraid it might be tight.

·
Registered
309 Posts

View attachment 151111
I am used to seeing only 5 mounting pads on each side. Did you invent the sixth, or is there a pad I wasn't aware of?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 151111
How long are your cross members?

·
Registered
684 Posts
One of the reasons I bought the Flatliner roof rack was their 5 to 6" sidewall rail. It hides the solar panels and gives a cleaner look. It is perfect to mount Fiamma awning.

For this van build thing, I have gone deeper and deeper end. I may die before this thing is finished. :p :p :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the reasons I bought the Flatliner roof rack was their 5 to 6" sidewall rail. It hides the solar panels and gives a cleaner look. It is perfect to mount Fiamma awning.

For this van build thing, I have gone deeper and deeper end. I may die before this thing is finished. :p :p :p
Feeling the same way! and I dont even have my van yet. I have built and rebuilt it on paper a thousand times. For look i am going to use the 15 series so it is same as the panel. But I may use the 3" on the sides to add an awning if and when they are in stock again.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Feeling the same way! and I dont even have my van yet.
I bought so much stuff (parts and tools) for the van, I don't remember what I have in the garage. Ordering on line is easy, putting it on takes effort and time.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks! That looks good. Does the fan work good being back there? I need to put my fan, a 315 watt panel and a mach 8 cub AC unit. Afraid it might be tight.
Fan there is great. But gotta have windows open in the front - or some sort of vent because that thing FLOWS air; we just crack the front windows so far.

If AC, I'd assume AC in the rear and something else in the front. Maybe the small circle-vent/van things? Or vice-versa? I think the AC units use the same 14" opening as the fans - but placement is a question. I looked at one AC unit that is wide but not long - could basically replace the fan location on ours with it from what it seems. Hopefully, we'll continue to avoid places hot enough to need that; we're out to run / hike / climb / bike / snowboard and none of those go well in the heat, really.

I am used to seeing only 5 mounting pads on each side. Did you invent the sixth, or is there a pad I wasn't aware of?
Astute, @BobCollins : I added two rear mounts by sandwiching two pieces of HDPE inner/outer with washers and bolts over the factory "hole" there. Then gooped it. It doesn't leak (yet). It doesn't carry weight; just there to mount lights at this point.

How long are your cross members?
I think they were right at 6' - give or take. I could have adjusted a couple inches either way (width-wise) by changing the mounts - could've used wider or taller angle-aluminum. I had planned mounting the panels on TOP all along, so I just needed it about right - not exact. The panel piece is one big framed unit that can tilt to optimize solar. I haven't added actuators to it yet, though. The panels are these ones and they're framed with 3030 aluminum, so... size?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fan there is great. But gotta have windows open in the front - or some sort of vent because that thing FLOWS air; we just crack the front windows so far.

If AC, I'd assume AC in the rear and something else in the front. Maybe the small circle-vent/van things? Or vice-versa? I think the AC units use the same 14" opening as the fans - but placement is a question. I looked at one AC unit that is wide but not long - could basically replace the fan location on ours with it from what it seems. Hopefully, we'll continue to avoid places hot enough to need that; we're out to run / hike / climb / bike / snowboard and none of those go well in the heat, really.

Astute, @BobCollins : I added two rear mounts by sandwiching two pieces of HDPE inner/outer with washers and bolts over the factory "hole" there. Then gooped it. It doesn't leak (yet). It doesn't carry weight; just there to mount lights at this point.

I think they were right at 6' - give or take. I could have adjusted a couple inches either way (width-wise) by changing the mounts - could've used wider or taller angle-aluminum. I had planned mounting the panels on TOP all along, so I just needed it about right - not exact. The panel piece is one big framed unit that can tilt to optimize solar. I haven't added actuators to it yet, though. The panels are these ones and they're framed with 3030 aluminum, so... size?
I am going to put the fan in the back and ac towards the front. Than I can pull the air back over the bed. I am putting one big 315w panel up so if I can maybe put it across the van that will make it easy. If not I will have to get creative.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just realized I screwed up that width post: FIVE FEET, not 6'. Right at 60".

With 11+ feet on length, there's plenty of room in there. Might want to consider order of priority. If the AC unit can act as a fan on its own, then the other fan is probably not essential (unless the AC's airflow is poor). Just a thought. I think I've seen that AC unit offset to the side before as well. Or consider the other AC units that don't take up so much space if you're going center-mount.

Not that solar is important... if you've got the dual alternator setup, you can put 3-4 times that panel into the batteries with the engine idling. 800w of panels on mine; but the engine will put over 1kW (max I've seen is about 1.4kW) with or without sunshine. I sure didn't expect that to go as well as it did... 😁

1 - 20 of 22 Posts