Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Connect. The roof rail tracks (which are recessed) have bolt holes with plastic covers. I would like to install custom rails one day but have no idea what is under the plastic caps. If I remove them, can I re-insert them? Or is there a way to seal them off once I pop off those caps? Photos would be nice but not necessary.

Thanks
-Tim

·
Registered
945 Posts
The owners/operators of this forum encourage Transit Connect discussions, and you have chosen the correct area to do so. However, most users find it confusing and distracting from the main focus, the full size Transit in its various configurations. There is no relationship between the two aside from the poor decision to use the same name.

It would be a better choice for the owners of this forum to start another community forum to provide a place for Transit Connect discussions to thrive.

I hope you get a satisfactory answer here, but you are likely to find a better answer faster on a forum dedicated specifically to the Transit Connect.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
What Sparky said.

But here's my two cents:
The Connect is probably the same method as the Transit, plastic caps that are painted over. Take off those caps using a razor to cut the paint at the edges and there is PROBABLY a built-in threaded insert under there.

On the Transit, the plastic caps are not very re-insertable. Many people have found water leaking through. On my van, when rack is removed, I use a bolt and a combo of rubber and fender washers to seal up the hole. Same thing when a rack or mount is installed; a rubber wsher between the rack and the body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts