Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second Transit is about to be built - to replace my first which essentially bexause a configuration test bed that taught me how to order a Transit to get exactly what I want (notwithstanding the much help I received from fellow owners here).

One aftermarket item I'd like to add is either a Surco or Prime Design Roof Access Ladder which attaches to the left rear cargo door. It seems very straightforward in all respects from installation to use with the exception of one question for which I haven't yet been able to obtain an answer.

Does anybody know with certainty if such a ladder requires windowless rear doors? Although I use mine mostly for cargo and mixed use, I enjoy rear windows for many practical and safety reasons and have used perforated adhesive to essentially "white out" the glass panels from the outside without impeding their use from the interior.

My van is nearing manufacture and I'm hoping to receive a definitive answer in time to make any necessary build configuration changes.

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
i recently installed the Prime Design, it is so well built that it is really a work of art! i have had people stop and ask me about it, including one ford dealer in louisiana who said he followed me for two exits hoping to ask me about it!
yes it works fine on a windowed door but i worry about putting my size 12 boots through the glass! (not a problem because there is good spacing between the ladder and window, just measured it: 6 1/4'' bottom of glass and 7'' at the top of glass)
my only complaint is that i can see a small part of one side of the bottom of the ladder in the backup camera, i guess because it is a wide angle camera? but it does not block or effect the camera.
a well spent 300 dollars for such a nice looking piece of equipment!

no complaints about the Prime Design Alu-Rack roof rack i have had for 6 months either!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also have the Prime Design ladder. It's awesome.

I wish I would have gone with the Prime Design Alu-Rack roof rack instead of the Thule build I did. The Thule bars work fine, but make it hard to walk around on the roof. With the Rack I could install cross slats to make a platform.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My second Transit is about to be built - to replace my first which essentially bexause a configuration test bed that taught me how to order a Transit to get exactly what I want (notwithstanding the much help I received from fellow owners here).

One aftermarket item I'd like to add is either a Surco or Prime Design Roof Access Ladder which attaches to the left rear cargo door. It seems very straightforward in all respects from installation to use with the exception of one question for which I haven't yet been able to obtain an answer.

Does anybody know with certainty if such a ladder requires windowless rear doors? Although I use mine mostly for cargo and mixed use, I enjoy rear windows for many practical and safety reasons and have used perforated adhesive to essentially "white out" the glass panels from the outside without impeding their use from the interior.

My van is nearing manufacture and I'm hoping to receive a definitive answer in time to make any necessary build configuration changes.

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight.
I have a Surco stainless ladder. Painted it black with bedliner paint.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Van Tech makes a ladder also. I don't own one but saw them in a catalog when I received a ladder rack from VanTech.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
i recently installed the Prime Design, it is so well built that it is really a work of art! i have had people stop and ask me about it, including one ford dealer in louisiana who said he followed me for two exits hoping to ask me about it!
yes it works fine on a windowed door but i worry about putting my size 12 boots through the glass! (not a problem because there is good spacing between the ladder and window, just measured it: 6 1/4'' bottom of glass and 7'' at the top of glass)
my only complaint is that i can see a small part of one side of the bottom of the ladder in the backup camera, i guess because it is a wide angle camera? but it does not block or effect the camera.
a well spent 300 dollars for such a nice looking piece of equipment!

no complaints about the Prime Design Alu-Rack roof rack i have had for 6 months either!
Can this Ladder be mounted on the Right Rear Door instead of the Left Rear Door?
Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can this Ladder be mounted on the Right Rear Door instead of the Left Rear Door?
Thanks
It can, but...
  • It will likely block your camera
  • If you push it far enough towards the edge to not obscure the camera, it will block the license plate
  • To move it further down the edge, you will need to pull a pin from the ladder frame
  • It may prevent you from fully opening your door (beyond the first catch point)

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any prime design ladder owners experience issues w cracking doors?

I realize the difference between static and dynamic loads. I want to mount a couple bikes to the ladder and am hoping it's not enough weight to crack the doors, or at least the supports distribute the weight evenly enough to not crack the doors.

After reading the rear door spare tire thread, I'm concerned.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any prime design ladder owners experience issues w cracking doors?

I realize the difference between static and dynamic loads. I want to mount a couple bikes to the ladder and am hoping it's not enough weight to crack the doors, or at least the supports distribute the weight evenly enough to not crack the doors.

After reading the rear door spare tire thread, I'm concerned.

I have not had any issue with cracking on my ladder door. However, though I originally thought I’d mount stuff to the ladder, I have backed off from that idea because I judged it to “eh. Maybe.”

I may still put a shovel on it though. Wouldn’t be worried about that weight (but maybe, theft)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's quite an old post but hopefully I can have an answer to my questioning..

I'm in the process of designing/building a "fake" ladder for the left rear door on my medium roof Transit.
Why a fake ladder would you ask ? because the purpose is to hold a roof box (like a Thule box, for skis) vertically against the rear door, not climbing to the roof.
I'm an avid skier, skis are full of snow, I'd like to store them outside the van to limit water (melting snow) dripping in the van... and I also have to admit I kinda messed up part of my van build because I didn't account for proper ski storage space.

Anyway, working on my fake ladder thingy, I came to investigate on actual ladders, and particularly loved the Prime Design ladders because they don't require any drilling to be installed... so they can be removed in summer.
They don't match other requirements of my projects to be used "as is", I contacted Prime Design to know it I could only buy the top and bottom clamps but as expected they only sell full ladders, not parts.. I'm not that keen on buying a full ladder just to use a few parts from it so I might have to fabricate all the parts I need.

If someone here actually has a Prime Design ladder I will have a few questions for him, mainly a few dimensions about the lower clamp thingy.

Thanks for any help !
Ben

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If someone here actually has a Prime Design ladder I will have a few questions for him, mainly a few dimensions about the lower clamp thingy.

Thanks for any help !
Ben
The clamps are 3 and 1/4 inches wide with a 5/8 lip on the door, The lip is lined with rubber.

No door cracking in 3 years of ladder usage, I weigh 275 pounds and I am 6'8"

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have this ladder which is around $80

It's nice because it doesn't take up much space in the van, and I can use it in other places that are not my van, like when I replaced the exterior trim on my rent house or when my buddy locked himself out of his house and I used the ladder to enter his third floor balcony haha

I put a piece of foam between the ladder and the side of the van.

Ladder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts