Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 W2X 350 HR LWB AWD
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the Rixen's MCS 6 controller...

Light Product Audio equipment Font Gadget

For the purpose of my question, ignore Heat Source Electric.
The Rixen 120V AC coolant heater and their reservoir will not be part of my install.

Scenario 1
Heat Source: Eberspächer Furnace
This is straight-forward.
Furnace is either ON (Constant Heat) or on-demand (Thermostat driven call for heat). And either way you get hot water.
Maybe not as hot as constant heat if the call for heat is infrequent.

Scenario 2
Heat Source: Engine (and Engine is running) -- In my install I plan to use a transfer plate.
2A - Constant Heat: ON T-Stat\Fan: OFF -- Circulates coolant, heating water. No camper heating.

2B - Constant Heat: OFF T-Stat\Fan: ON -- Circulates coolant, heating water and heating the camper only when there is a call for heat.

2C - Constant Heat: OFF T-Stat\Fan: OFF -- Does the system do anything in this scenario? Would it circulate the coolant?

Can someone with an installed Rixen controller share if 2A, 2B are correct and what happens in 2C?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Scenario 2
Heat Source: Engine (and Engine is running) -- In my install I plan to use a transfer plate.
2A - Constant Heat: ON T-Stat\Fan: OFF -- Circulates coolant, heating water. No camper heating.

2B - Constant Heat: OFF T-Stat\Fan: ON -- Circulates coolant, heating water and heating the camper only when there is a call for heat.

2C - Constant Heat: OFF T-Stat\Fan: OFF -- Does the system do anything in this scenario? Would it circulate the coolant?

Can someone with an installed Rixen controller share if 2A, 2B are correct and what happens in 2C?

Thanks!
2A: correct. You will be able to feel the coolant hoses and heat exchanger warm up, hot water will be produced, but the air handler is not active.
2B: seems correct but honestly have not run that mode yet.
2C: generally system does not do anything; no coolant circulated. You can feel the coolant hoses and heat exchanger and they will remain cool. To my knowledge the only time coolant is circulated in this mode is when power is first applied to the system. So if you disconnect the system from your house battery and then reconnect, it will circulate coolant for a minute or two as part of the start-up process.

Side note: constant heat must be turned on in order to use the wifi diagnostic tool. This is documented in their literature. The SSID might periodically show up without constant heat on, but connection will not work.

The Rixen 120V AC coolant heater and their reservoir will not be part of my install.
Will you use their reservoir without the the coolant heater, or another reservoir? I'm no expert, but I think the system needs an expansion tank. And they like for the pump to be below the reservoir to ensure it does not get air bubbles.

·
Premium Member
2022 W2X 350 HR LWB AWD
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply, very helpful!

Will you use their reservoir without the the coolant heater, or another reservoir? I'm no expert, but I think the system needs an expansion tank. And they like for the pump to be below the reservoir to ensure it does not get air bubbles.
My plan is to use a different reservoir.
You are correct, the cap\vent does need to be the highest point in the system.

For others: If you don't use a plate heat exchanger to connect to the engine loop, and you plumbed it all as one big loop. The engine's reservoir would be the highest point for sure.

I plan to use a plate exchanger though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts