Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have ya'll been using for replacement blades?

My van is about 4 years old, counting time on dealer lot. Wiper blades getting bad. Wanted OEM blades, since they always outlive whatever I've bought at parts store or Walmart.

Went to Ford dealer. First guy says 2015 Transit 250, medium roof calls for 28-inch x 2. No. Second guy looks up my van by VIN, gets me 28 and 21, $13.99 each. Out to my van, and I see it's really 30 and 20. Back to parts guy.

No one back there had ever heard of a 30-inch blade. But, they all agreed that working with Transit parts was a royal PITA. He goes through a different system, that lets him access parts numbers for what actually came off the assembly line, but does not disclose size. We ordered, $17.99 each... hmm... getting up there.

Back in the van, I see the wiper marks from having used the wiper/washer. I note that shortening the reach of the long, driver-side blade by 1 inch would have almost no effect -- just a sliver about 1 inch by 8 inches at upper left would be the area not wiped. And, on the passenger side, which does much more of the windshield, 1/2 inch more would juuuust fit the windshield, and would clear a bit more of that large arc. So, the 28 & 21 could be just fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I find the OEM wipers are really good even in the winter. I've had mine repaced at the dealer but didn't notice if they were
a different size than what was on the van when I got it. I've had enough experiences with crap blades (that weren't cheap)
that I'll stick with ones I know work well.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
28 and 21 by my research. I bought cheap replacements (old school snap-in hook style) just yesterday and I don’t think they will work. I haven’t seen a mount like the Transit on any vehicle, domestic or Euro.

I would love to hear that I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
I discovered that you cannot judge the actual length of the wiper blade by the part number anymore. I ordered the Motorcraft blades from Amazon and here are the part numbers. WW2049 for the passenger side and WW2901 for the driver's side. They measure 20" and 30" respectively.

There are a pair of Motorcraft blades that are slightly cheaper than this and I assume that they are the correct length also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just encountered the same. The parts manager at my Ford dealer said that their distributor could only get the 28" and 21" blades.

I prefer to keep things OEM.

The part numbers that 73shark provided are spot on and the blades are available on eBay from gtex_auto at a great price + free shipping !

Many thanks to everyone for the good information.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just encountered the same. The parts manager at my Ford dealer said that their distributor could only get the 28" and 21" blades.

I prefer to keep things OEM.

The part numbers that 73shark provided are spot on and the blades are available on eBay from gtex_auto at a great price + free shipping !

Many thanks to everyone for the good information.

Rock Auto has them. Just under $31 for the pair including shipping to Texas (if that’s all you’re buying). Shipping may vary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rock Auto has them. Just under $31 for the pair including shipping to Texas (if that’s all you’re buying). Shipping may vary

$31?
I feel like I’ve been raped. Needed an emergency replacement for the drivers blade only. Auto Zone. It was like $28. What a rip-off.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
$31?
I feel like I’ve been raped. Needed an emergency replacement for the drivers blade only. Auto Zone. It was like $28. What a rip-off.
You might want to consider editing your comment so as not to risk trivializing a rape.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Is it possible to replace just the actual rubber wiper part, and not the whole wiper blade? On my Honda I can replace just the rubber part, and they cost about $6 at the dealer.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Stick with genuine OEM Ford replacement wiper blades. You can find them online for a nice deal on https://www.fordpartsprime.com/ . Start by entering your VIN to find parts that are specific for your vehicle.
I was very pleased with the OEM wipers. Since then I've used Bosh and Michelin which don't come close to matching the performance and longevity of the OEM blades. I went to the link transitpro provided and found the left side wiper blade for the medium and high roof Transit is listed as discontinued. Discontinued? WTF! I will try some dealerships and stock up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Funny timing, I went on a mission (to Costco) to buy blades for our other vehicles this past weekend. They carry Goodyear blades which were on sale for $9 each (normally $12), and they appear to be well designed and of high quality. I've never bought blades before that came with a special protector over the rubber, "Remove before using." Anyway, I didn't measure the blades for our MR since we're likely two years off, at least, maybe even longer if I ever get that garage built for it.

The Goodyear blades come with an impressive (to this engineer) adapter system that accommodates about a dozen different mounting styles apparently including the strange one on the Transit. The http://goodyearwiperblade.com/find-your-wipers/ site has the Transit on the list, and shows 28" and 20".

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Stick with genuine OEM Ford replacement wiper blades. You can find them online for a nice deal on https://www.fordpartsprime.com/ . Start by entering your VIN to find parts that are specific for your vehicle.
Site seems a little outdated. It doesn't recognize my VIN, and you can't manually select a 2018 model.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Site seems a little outdated. It doesn't recognize my VIN, and you can't manually select a 2018 model.

Thought I ought to get a disclaimer in here: I searched Rock Auto for “Motorcraft” and the part #’s 73shark provided, and got hits. I re-searched for wiper blades for 2015 Transit T250 and got a gazillion options, from various manufacturers, including shark’s Motorcrafts. His part #’s seemed valid and I would assume being Motorcraft, they are OEM. I don’t know what size they are or if they fit the newer Transit (but what’s changed? Anything?). They were approx $12.50 ea, plus shipping to TX $6. I have not bought them, nor compared them to the 30”-20”, nor can absolutely assure anyone that shark’s part #’s are correct. There, now my inner lawyer is happy.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I discovered that you cannot judge the actual length of the wiper blade by the part number anymore. I ordered the Motorcraft blades from Amazon and here are the part numbers. WW2049 for the passenger side and WW2901 for the driver's side. They measure 20" and 30" respectively.

Yep- Those are the part numbers in the Owner's Manual!:eek:

Bought a set in May 2017.

Thought I ought to get a disclaimer in here: I searched Rock Auto for “Motorcraft” and the part #’s 73shark provided, and got hits. I re-searched for wiper blades for 2015 Transit T250 and got a gazillion options, from various manufacturers, including shark’s Motorcrafts. His part #’s seemed valid and I would assume being Motorcraft, they are OEM. I don’t know what size they are or if they fit the newer Transit (but what’s changed? Anything?). They were approx $12.50 ea, plus shipping to TX $6. I have not bought them, nor compared them to the 30”-20”, nor can absolutely assure anyone that shark’s part #’s are correct. There, now my inner lawyer is happy.

See above.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My euro transit came with valeo wiper blades. After 3 years they are still wiping excellently, i intend to buy the same valeo ones but instead of buying them from ford i'm buying them from a parts website. They'll work out much cheaper this way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I looked up for my 2016 xlt 350 medium roof at parts store and it showed 29 inch driver side, didn't look up passenger side because the only 29 inch was $39.95. I am not going to pay that much for 1 blade.

·
Registered
83 Posts
PIAA makes several models of silicone rubber blades, supposed to be fantastic for durability, PN for my MR 250 is 97070 and 97050 in Si-Tech

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I never considered getting OEM blades from a dealership, I always bought aftermarket ones. However, I've always found the blades that come on a new vehicle DO last much longer and perform better than the ones you buy in an autparts store, even the expensive ones. I lived in Oregon for many years, and good blades are important there.

Also, I recall seeing the standard aftermarket blades being sold at dealership parts departments, too. I didn't know you COULD get the ones they install at the factory.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts