Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 148" Mid Roof Passenger 3.2L diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question; If I'm using Renogy DCC50S DC to DC & MPPT controller, DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT

Which is better for battery / system monitoring on Input / output?

A Renogy 500A battery monitor - 500A Battery Monitor

OR

BT-2 blue tooth monitor? BT-2 Bluetooth Module

Why?

My other system components, all Renogy, 100AH AGM battery, single 100W flex solar panel on Van roof, DCC50S DC to DC & MPPT controller, 1000W 120V inverter. Small DC loads, LED lights, 12v cooler Etc. Application supports Weekend adventures only. Not full time vanlifer.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Question; If I'm using Renogy DCC50S DC to DC & MPPT controller, DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT

Which is better for battery / system monitoring on Input / output?

A Renogy 500A battery monitor - 500A Battery Monitor

OR

BT-2 blue tooth monitor? BT-2 Bluetooth Module

Why?

My other system components, all Renogy, 100AH AGM battery, single 100W flex solar panel on Van roof, DCC50S DC to DC & MPPT controller, 1000W 120V inverter. Small DC loads, LED lights, 12v cooler Etc

Thanks for your reply
@Vanpackr posted a write up on the BT-2 on his website.
Renogy BT-2 Bluetooth Dongle for the DCC50S
Not sure if there is any benefit to the Renogy monitor since all your other stuff is Renogy, but FWIW the Victron battery monitor seem to be popular (and well liked) even by folks with systems that are not Victron based.
(I have no personal experience with any of these, just what I have learned from spending too much time on this forum)

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
396 Posts
I have the DCC50S, the BT2 and the 500A monitor. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
396 Posts
The DCC50S charges your battery. The BT2 allows you to set a custom profile for the DCC50S. This is important if you are running lithium batteries as the default profile for lithium sucks. The monitor allows you to keep track of the amp hours pulled out of the battery.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
This is important if you are running lithium batteries as the default profile for lithium sucks.
Sorry to take this OT, but what are you basing this on? I didn't agonize over it, but I thought the defaults looked OK for my LiFePo4's. Maybe I should check that again?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The DCC50S charges your battery. The BT2 allows you to set a custom profile for the DCC50S. This is important if you are running lithium batteries as the default profile for lithium sucks. The monitor allows you to keep track of the amp hours pulled out of the battery.
Where did you find charge profile for DCC50S? And child you describe profile you programmed? I'm using DCC50S but stock lifepo4 profile. Thanks

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Here's the table from the manual:

(I list a different model number in my signature below, but it's essentially the same thing)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Typical minimal Renogy documentation. I found nothing on the hardware and this on the app. It does mention configure, but only seems to show monitor. 🤷‍♂️ Can you elaborate? Thanks
https://www.renogy.com/content/DC-Home/DC-Home-Manual.pdf

Hey @Sparky961 IIRC you were using a Sterling. Did you change?
I was but I did. I was having more problems with it. I'm still trying to work out exactly what happened, but I've never been very impressed by the Sterling and eventually want to add some solar. This gives me that option.

There's an RS485 port on the Renogy. I was going to play around with it but the weather's been great and I've been spending "too much" time outside lately.

Reactions: njvagabond

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where did you find charge profile for DCC50S? And child you describe profile you programmed? I'm using DCC50S but stock lifepo4 profile. Thanks
I see the profile in manual now that I looked. Still curious about your profile

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
396 Posts
Typical minimal Renogy documentation. I found nothing on the hardware and this on the app. It does mention configure, but only seems to show monitor. 🤷‍♂️ Can you elaborate? Thanks
https://www.renogy.com/content/DC-Home/DC-Home-Manual.pdf
I'm not sure what you are asking. Download their app, set the profile as custom and you can set the profile as you see fit. I had some trouble with connecting the BT2 but I got it to work,

As to the profile, I set it according to the battery manufacturer pretty much. The default lithium had too high a charge voltage for one thing. I can't remember off hand all of the settings but can check later this week. I'm at work for a 48 hours shift at the moment.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Interesting. I just watched very carefully as current tapered off while charging and I was thinking the opposite; that it was perhaps too low.

I'm also beginning to think that I'm not getting the full charge current when the unit heats up. More experimenting required on that front.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I'm not sure what you are asking. Download their app, set the profile as custom and you can set the profile as you see fit. I had some trouble with connecting the BT2 but I got it to work,

As to the profile, I set it according to the battery manufacturer pretty much. The default lithium had too high a charge voltage for one thing. I can't remember off hand all of the settings but can check later this week. I'm at work for a 48 hours shift at the moment.
Thanks., that's useful info. Still researching my charging equipment and the manual for the app does not show that capability.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
396 Posts
Thanks., that's useful info. Still researching my charging equipment and the manual for the app does not show that capability.
Well, you need the BT2 in order to change the profile.

·
Registered
127 Posts
for a 12V LFP battery "100% full" is 14.6V or 3.65V/cell The renogy settings look like they'll kill your battery if I'm reading that correctly. Usual recommendations for LFP are somewhere in the 14 - 14.4V boost charge and shutdown at no more than 14.6V.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
for a 12V LFP battery "100% full" is 14.6V or 3.65V/cell The renogy settings look like they'll kill your battery if I'm reading that correctly. Usual recommendations for LFP are somewhere in the 14 - 14.4V boost charge and shutdown at no more than 14.6V.

It's going to depend a little on the brand. Here's an excerpt from the above linked page:

"For a 12V system, we really want to emphasize reaching 14.2V – 14.6V for bulk and absorption and float to be 13.6V or lower. "

(They do note multiple times that floating is not necessary or desirable, but that with some chargers this can't be shut off completely.)

Hence the 14.2 I'm seeing is on the low side. Frankly I'm not completely sure what they've meant by "shutdown voltage". Unless maybe if the output ever senses that voltage it won't charge - but it will never get that high unless something else is causing a fault.

There are effectively two stages for charging LiFePo4 batteries: 1. constant current (bulk), 2. constant voltage (absorbtion). When trying to accomplish these, feedback tells the charger what's happening with the battery. Entire books have been written on the subject, so this is an oversimplification.

A BMS between the cells and charger complicates things because it often requires higher voltages for balancing and/or have lower current capabilities than the cells. Internally the cell voltage is different than what's being applied to the terminals.

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
396 Posts
A BMS between the cells and charger complicates things because it often requires higher voltages for balancing and/or have lower current capabilities than the cells. Internally the cell voltage is different than what's being applied to the terminals.
This is one reason that I am glad I built my bank as I can set the BMS settings to suit. Although if I recall the default balance voltage was fine and it has no problem keeping the cells matched.

·
Registered
2017 148" Mid Roof Passenger 3.2L diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m a newbie, Why do you need both? Wouldn’t it be one or the other?
Thanks
I emailed Renogy on my questions. Their reply was:
"Thank you for contacting Renogy.
It would be better to use the BT-2 as you can wirelessly monitor not just the battery but the whole system. Also, you can use our user-friendly smartphone App, Renogy DC Home, to keep track of your system."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts