Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on these forums relocated a seat bracket?

In theory, you could unbolt 2nd-last row seat bracket from the floor; plug the existing holes; drill new holes in the floor (potentially threading them in the process) and then install the seat bracket in the new location. Since each seat has an integral shoulder harness (at least in 2016), you don't have to worry about needing to locate seats to match up with locations where the shoulder harness would be attached to the ceiling, as is the case with many other vans on the market.

For the last ten years, I have been ferrying my four kids on vacations from Florida to Arizona, Chicago to Padre Island, in a 3-row, 8 passenger, van that gave every row ~40" legroom - and that's getting increasingly cramped as the kids have grown from toddlers to adult size.

On a Transit, the 2nd-last rows tend to average around 35" in legroom, but I'd like to achieve something around 45"-48" which would require relocating seats.

Granted, I could just remove the 2nd and 4th rows, leaving the 3rd and 5th with massive legroom - but that would be a massive waste of space.

Has anyone done this? Any safety concerns? What would be the likely engineering challenges of a DIY relocation of seats?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe you could do this, but of course it would void your warranty with Ford.
The only Transit I've seen with seats that do not have integrated seat belts at every spot is in the 15 passenger vans.
The outboard fifth row of 4 seats both have their seat belts behind their individual seats as opposed to being attached to the shoulder like all the other rear seats.
Look at the trunk photo of this van with the outboard seats' seat belts being attached to the outside rear pillar: http://www.northgatefordcincinnati.com/new/Ford/2016-Ford-Transit-350-Cincinnati-6ddb37570a0e0ae84305275c4be09824.htm
The only worry I'd have if I were you is knowing 100% what is below the floor where I'd be drilling the new bolt holes in the floor.
Aside from that I wouldn't worry about the safety of the seats as long as I had the tools and made a very detailed effort to replicate the way Ford installed the seats!
If you go this route, please share a few photos showing how you did it and the resulting luxurious legroom!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
As we get to know our 12-passenger, I am contemplating this too.
I would rather sacrifice 8-12 inches of the massive rear storage in favor of more knee space in the rows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe you could do this, but of course it would void your warranty with Ford.
For the entire van??? Or just with respect to the seats?

The only Transit I've seen with seats that do not have integrated seat belts at every spot is in the 15 passenger vans.
The outboard fifth row of 4 seats both have their seat belts behind their individual seats as opposed to being attached to the shoulder like all the other rear seats.
Look at the trunk photo of this van with the outboard seats' seat belts being attached to the outside rear pillar: http://www.northgatefordcincinnati.com/new/Ford/2016-Ford-Transit-350-Cincinnati-6ddb37570a0e0ae84305275c4be09824.htm
Just a guess... the 4-seats-in-a-row bench which is the last row has a different design than all of the other rows, because each of the 4 seats in the last row are a bit narrower than any of the seats in all of the other rows... that may have something to do with Ford's decision to design those without integrated shoulder harnesses.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The flooring isn't what supports the seat attachments, it's the vehicle frame and supports that Ford has installed for each seat, in areas that were safe to drill. IMHO attaching seat brackets in an area not designed for them will cause the flooring to rip away in an accident.
My 4th row was moved back to the 5th row area of a 15 passenger, but required engineering and welding by qualified up fitters.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am planning to move mine a bit for my camper build. My thought is to drill new holes in to the bars themselves so as to leave them bolted into the correct part of the frame. Basically, I am moving the front row of seats back about 6", so I will unbolt those bars, drill new holes in them 6" in front of the old holes and bolt them back in. We will see how it works out.

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
My thought is to drill new holes in to the bars themselves so as to leave them bolted into the correct part of the frame. Basically, I am moving the front row of seats back about 6", so I will unbolt those bars, drill new holes in them 6" in front of the old holes and bolt them back in. We will see how it works out.
I've contemplated that for our wagons too, let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
301 Posts
We have a 15 passenger van. Our standard seat configuration for road trips is to remove row 3 and row 5 completely. This gives plenty of luggage space behind Row 4 and room in front of Row 4 for a cooler and dog cage right behind row 2. This gives infinite leg room for row 4 passengers and easy ingress/egress. Row 2 are unchanged but the row 2 passengers already appear to have more legroom than any other row. This also depends on how far the Row 1 driver and passengers move their seats back. This configuration nets 8 seats total, with easy ingress/egress and plenty of legroom and cargo room without having to move seat mount points (In our opinion) I think the ultimate would be to install a wide 3 passenger seat from the 150 in Row 4 of the 350 for road trips.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
@kc8flb that sounds like a convenient configuration, on our original 12 passenger I pulled the row 3 double for a while and the limo-like legroom was nice. The current two are both 15 passenger, neither has the rear row or single door seat in place. The MR currently has a double rear facing in row 2, then just doubles in 3 & 4 for 8 seats total and great walk-around access. The LR currently has 10 seats total but the triple seat will eventually either be flipped or swapped with a double.

Current MR layout:

Current LR layout:

A 3 triple seat in row 4 was experimented with, but we prefer a wider aisle for rear access:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
does that 2nd row flip backwards in the floor brackets AS IS, or did you have to make any modification? And are they touching the back of the driver seat like that?
You just have to enlarge the frontmost holes so there is room for the latches on the seat to fit. A hole say works well, and then a utility knife to square it up.

The seat backs are touching if the front is moved all the way back, but short people like us don't have a problem, lol.

This is with a wider 36" seat (reclined) in place and the passenger seat all the way back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
@SoonerLater - I second the comment to not mounting the seats to random places in the floor, the bolts will not hold in an accident. Reuse factory floor inserts or have a professional install brackets.

I have a 12 passenger MR in a 2-0-3-0 config (factory being 2-3-3-4), for my 5 member family or friends on mtb trips. It offers massive leg room and place for a big cooler/foot rest in row 2 position. On family camping/road trips, 2 your teens sleep on the floor in seat 2 area, they're 5'4ish and still fit!

My thoughts on improving leg room ... move row 3 (double seat) forward ~16" like Jeff Lenosky did. I think this can be done fairly easily by hooking the front-seat-legs into row 2 rear-seat-leg cross bars (part welded to the rails that the seats latch into). Cross bar pitch between seat row is close to with-in seat pitch, removing ~2-3" of seat rail between row 2 and 3 will allow me to put the seat in position 2, position 3 or the position between 2 and 3. Note position 3 will be moved forward 2-3 inches reducing leg room if rows 2 and 3 are installed, but I don't plan on using that config so can live with it. Might do the same for row 4 position, moving it forward enough so it can be used with my foldable rear bed in place. I'll then have a 3 row van + jump seat, all with a lot of leg room.

My goal is to add a prep-table, storage and fridge behind the double seat, while better utilizing the space between row 1 and 3.

If that makes any sense...

Reactions: asdrew
1 - 13 of 13 Posts