Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Im looking into getting a 'brand new' 2016 transit with the 3.2. It is a few years old but it only has 100 miles on it, not 100k just 100. Its never been registered so ill be the first owner. The pricing is good, just over 30k but im concerned about the warranty. By the time the warranty expires ill put about 15k miles on it so not really enough to get all the bugs out of it. Is there anything I should be worried about or expect to have to replace within the first 50k miles or so? Is a factory extended warranty worth almost $3000.00? Thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Vehicles that aren't driven don't fare well, especially modern diesels. DEF has a short shelf life, it highly acidic and also crystallizes. Plan on replacing every component in the SCR system to start with, and then address the others as they come up.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Vehicles that aren't driven don't fare well, especially modern diesels. DEF has a short shelf life, it highly acidic and also crystallizes. Plan on replacing every component in the SCR system to start with, and then address the others as they come up.
DEF is not "highly acidic"- it has a ph of 9.5- on the alkaline side of neutral.
Its shelf lfe is easily 1 year if stored properly.

I liked my 2015 Transit diesel- in 50,000 mi and 2 years I replaced one $30 exhaust temp sensor. Only replaced the diesel because it was totalled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used 2017 transit with 11,000 miles on it and I purchased the extended warranty. You can negotiate the price, I paid $2,600 for the bumper to bumper extended warranty that covers 8 years or 100,000 miles and $50.00 deductible. That includes towing and emergency road service, In my opinion it is worth every penny just for the peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts