Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
Diggin' the "what works best for you" approach. Much healthier than some of the discussions of what is RIGHT. 馃槃

Putting in our take - on van #2 - for food storage and prep. More counter-top for prep is better. More cooking options are better. Bending over for anything is bad (just too narrow - especially if two people or more).

We ran the oft-used top-loader-on-the-floor (as a seat for the dinette) in our last rig. Wasn't awesome, functionally. But the option to have a huge amount of fridge or freezer or split was super nice - especially for big group trips where we'd be storing all the frozen stuff for everyone and just use ice-chests for the typical "fridge" stuff. So we were looking for one of the "split" options whatever we went with.

Looked like this in use (table top removed for the photo):
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Mode of transport

So we went with the same fridge in this rig but raised it up to counter-top level to be more functional (dining / seating is in the front on this rig). Space underneath is a little bit of pots-and-pans and all of our electronics gear - including the batteries. Pull out the fridge, set it on the bed or in the garage and have great access to work on the electronics.
Wood Comfort Interior design Automotive design Motor vehicle

We also went from a 2-burner induction in the last rig to a single-burner induction, a microwave, and a 3-burner-plus-oven propane stove. Full-on RV style crammed into a small space.

Registered
Much as I appreciate the theory of the "chest holds more" premise... to fully load one is to have everything piled on top of everything else. So the chest might hold more in theory... but the upright might have more usable storage. 馃

Registered
My only issue with front loader is I'll be doing lots of wash board roads. With all the vibration I think the top loader would be better to just let the stuff bounce and settle in to where a front loader things would bounce around on the shelves. I like the idea of a front loader better but for this reason I'm leaning top loader.
Yeah... this may be a factor as well. I'm sure it can be accommodated in the upright; but we even keep extra bungies on our cabinets in case the door comes open - which /can/ happen on serious dirt journeys. We'll have a latched door come open then a latched sliding-shelf or drawer come sliding out... while navigating a rutted-up trail and wondering what the heck those noises in the back are. 馃槒

Of course, we've never had anything come loose or out-of-place in the chest setup - nowhere to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts