Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on a refrigerator?

I don’t think I need a freezer. Don’t see the need for frozen meat.

Top or front load?

1-5 day trips

I have a goal zero 1000 Core that will be charging off the van for now then solar in the future.

thanks!

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will get comments with religious zeal about the choice of a top loader or front opener. You will get the story about all the cold air falling out of a front loader or who wants to dig down into a top loader to get what you want.

Inadvertently I think I found out why a front loader is usually less efficient than a top loader. Had a 80 liter Dometic refrigerator in the Sprinter conversion with evaporator coil on back of the refrigerator. Bought a 85 liter Vitrifrigo refrigerator for the Transit build because it had the compressor mounted at bottom back instead of the normal top back location. Low mount more than doubled the freezer size in the same size refrigerator.

Was very surprised to learn that the Vitrifrigo used about 1/3 less power than the Dometic. About same size refrigerator, same extra 2 1/2" of rigid insulation installed around the refrigerator, same compressor, same house battery and same charger. Question was why the difference in efficiency? The only difference was the type of evaporator. Dometic had coil on back of the refrigerator and Vitrifrigo had a small radiator and fan instead of the coil. The radiator and fan is the same design used for top loaders since they can not have a coil on outside of the refrigerator.

Personally I prefer a front loader mounted up high so I can see into the refrigerator with contents easier to add/remove. My 300 watts of solar easily provides enough power for either style of refrigerator so even if there was a difference in efficiency that is not important.
Good info!! How about the size of the unit and do you have a specific model in a top and front loader you recomend?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts